Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Turning a natural cave into a fort  (Read 3091 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Turning a natural cave into a fort
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 07:43:19 pm »

Capture the spiders, and use them as a silk factory. ^_^

Long ago I planned that, but my work fell through when I discovered they can't be bread >.<

Mmmm, GCS bread...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »

Ok, same world was generated, now to track down those caves for the biomes.

And will look at a few others as well to see if it has an effect.

Will have results in a little bit.

Edit: I guess I won't check others, as no easy way to find a specific cave, as there is no order between the text file and the map.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:58:44 pm by Hawklaser »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:43 pm »

Capture the spiders, and use them as a silk factory. ^_^

Long ago I planned that, but my work fell through when I discovered they can't be bread >.<

O.o I just thought of some cool modding someone could do, giant cave spiders give birth to 5-10 cave spiders, cave spiders grow into giant cave spiders after 200 years or so.

Yuo don't have to breed them. You simply need to set up a good cage trap for them. Then you place the cage above a 1-story drop and bridge, and close the bridge on the spider. The spider is surrounded by bars, from which it can shoot webs, and floodgates which close up so dwarves can move in to collect the webs. You dangle a puppy inside and collect the webs.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »

The trick to that would be getting all those spiders into the same spot though... imagine the silk if you could.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »

I'm totally going to colonize a cave once caves stop being boring and un-cave-like. 

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 09:42:51 pm »

Ok. I was able to find Cave 1, is a mix of temperate savana and temperate shrubland. 6x6 area on embark.

Tracking down specific caves is really a pain. Now since I know where it is, time to embark there just for the heck of it, and see how fast the 7 dwarfs die.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »

The trick to that would be getting all those spiders into the same spot though... imagine the silk if you could.

Easy...you set up an x-sided polygon, with stairs and door in the center, and surround it with separate cells for each spider. When you need silk, pull the lever, watch the spiders fire away. Then you seal up the spiders so they can't web you, then collect the silk.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »

Thoughts on the best method of taking over the cave  quickly and without loosing many dwarfs? I don't want to use flooding, or traps, especialy cage traps, unless I run into something really exotic in the cave. My current plan is to use doors to section off safe areas from dangeous areas, and take it over section by section.

There was a challenge in the challenge thread that ran like this: given this embarking area, destroy the skeletal cyclops and trolls in the cave, while dealing with the zombie fish, and gaining enough wealth to have at least 10 dwarves before the end of the year, with no mining, no crossbows, and no traps.

I outfitted four of my seven dwarves with 5 points in armor use and 5 points in <weapon> (I used whatever was cheapest; axes?).  These dwarves came with leather armor as well.

After embarkation, built a wooden house.  After the house was done, one dwarf did woodcutting, one dwarf did carpentry, and one dwarf did woodcrafts (to drive up the wealth to attract immigrants).  The other four sparred wrestling.  Made wooden shields for them.

When it turned autumn, I switched them from wrestling to <weapon> (I've heard wrestling helps defense; plus, this boosted their armor and shield skills, to minimize sparring injuries).  They sparred until the migrants came.  Then I sent them into the cave. 

The four of them, with less than a year of training, killed everything in the cave without suffering an injury.

And also because of the layout of the map, the cave is at Z-level 0, but the brook is up at z-16. I'm sure I  can get a good water supply down there with floodgates and channels, but I would rather not have to micro-manage switches to keep a constant supply. And have no clue as to how to go about getting the water to where I want it without switch micro-management, or flooding the whole area.

Pump it up to where you want it with a pump tower.  It will flood if it can get out, but it's trivial to dig a cistern or similar where there's simply no way for it to get out (since it won't go above the level of the pump).
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »

Well, it seems the game changes the contents of a cave on embark. Embarked at cave one, didn't find a dragon, but there was a legendary giant. Though all 3 of the cave spiders were still there. And from this experiance, have to say a single Giant cave spider is worse than that giant. God help ya if you get go after any GCS without ranged, and espcialy if its near anything else thats dangerous.

Went back in with a reclaim party, and all the creatures inside the cave seem to have vanished. Had guys running all over the place and have found nothing. So if you embark at a cave its a one shot deal, for all the critters inside.

Thoughts on the best method of taking over the cave  quickly and without loosing many dwarfs? I don't want to use flooding, or traps, especialy cage traps, unless I run into something really exotic in the cave. My current plan is to use doors to section off safe areas from dangeous areas, and take it over section by section.

There was a challenge in the challenge thread that ran like this: given this embarking area, destroy the skeletal cyclops and trolls in the cave, while dealing with the zombie fish, and gaining enough wealth to have at least 10 dwarves before the end of the year, with no mining, no crossbows, and no traps.

I outfitted four of my seven dwarves with 5 points in armor use and 5 points in <weapon> (I used whatever was cheapest; axes?).  These dwarves came with leather armor as well.

After embarkation, built a wooden house.  After the house was done, one dwarf did woodcutting, one dwarf did carpentry, and one dwarf did woodcrafts (to drive up the wealth to attract immigrants).  The other four sparred wrestling.  Made wooden shields for them.

When it turned autumn, I switched them from wrestling to <weapon> (I've heard wrestling helps defense; plus, this boosted their armor and shield skills, to minimize sparring injuries).  They sparred until the migrants came.  Then I sent them into the cave. 

The four of them, with less than a year of training, killed everything in the cave without suffering an injury.

And also because of the layout of the map, the cave is at Z-level 0, but the brook is up at z-16. I'm sure I  can get a good water supply down there with floodgates and channels, but I would rather not have to micro-manage switches to keep a constant supply. And have no clue as to how to go about getting the water to where I want it without switch micro-management, or flooding the whole area.

Pump it up to where you want it with a pump tower.  It will flood if it can get out, but it's trivial to dig a cistern or similar where there's simply no way for it to get out (since it won't go above the level of the pump).

Well, unfortunatly the water source is 16 levels higher than where I plan to build. And unless something keeps an endless source of water from filling up to its hieght, I have to be very carefull with how I build my water supply.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 11:12:21 pm »

Siminrushan, "Entrancecavern", a cave
   1 cyclops
   23 naked mole dogs
   16 giant rats
   25 antmen
   1 gremlin
   7 giant cave spiders
   463 cave spiders
   312 bats

Oh my. Now regenerate that map with lots of evilness, can a Giant Cave Spider be skeletal?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 11:39:46 pm »

O.o I just thought of some cool modding someone could do, giant cave spiders give birth to 5-10 cave spiders, cave spiders grow into giant cave spiders after 200 years or so.

Interesting idea, but nobody's going to wait 200 years. Also, I think you'd have problems with it having most of the GCS's inherent abilities.
Who's waiting, looks like he has 463 of indeterminate age already.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »

After having claimed a small portion of the cave, I am starting to migrate my operations from the temporary area by the brook. Something I learned is have to be very carefull when you unforbid doors, as dwarfs will go claim any bone or corpse in there regardless of whats near it.Also have messed around with an experimental presure plate floodgate, will be creating an aquiduct to move water from the stream to where I want it to go.

Which will look something like this when done. The top part will be connected to a Brook, and won't have a pump going at all.

Top setion(= | are walls, X floodgate, O hole, + floor)
====================|
++++++++++++++++++X0|
====================|

Cross view ( - being the top section, P being the presure plate, W being a well, _ is Floor, | wall)
--------------------------(16 z levels up)
                                |O|
                                |O|
                                ~~~
____________________|O|( ground level)
                                |O|
                            ---|O|---
                            |          |_W____
                            |           _____P|
                            |______|

Any thoughts on how to improve on this Setup, or get more out of it than just drinking water?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:35 am »

More than drinking water? You mean... A waterfall?

Code: [Select]
WWWWWXO
     ||
     || <-(hypothetical pump tower)
     ||
 D   D
 L   #
|      P|
|RRRRRR|
|RRRRRR|
etc.
When the water touches the plate, it stops the floodgate, cutting off the water to the waterfall. The dwarves are wet and have a nice well. One drawback is that the waterfall isn't constant, but that's solvable. across from the pressure plate, install a pump tower that goes up two or three z levels, drawing from the cistern and dumping into a channel that carries the water to the feedline, and running several waterwheels that maintain the pumps. Or, dwarves power them. The advantage of that is dwarf strength and power. Disadvantage is busy dwarves and dwarf access requirements.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:15 pm »

Well, it seems the game changes the contents of a cave on embark. Embarked at cave one, didn't find a dragon, but there was a legendary giant. Though all 3 of the cave spiders were still there. And from this experiance, have to say a single Giant cave spider is worse than that giant. God help ya if you get go after any GCS without ranged, and espcialy if its near anything else thats dangerous.

Went back in with a reclaim party, and all the creatures inside the cave seem to have vanished. Had guys running all over the place and have found nothing. So if you embark at a cave its a one shot deal, for all the critters inside.

Reclaiming does change the creatures inside.  Embarking should always present the same, though (if you regen the world from the seed).

Well, unfortunatly the water source is 16 levels higher than where I plan to build. And unless something keeps an endless source of water from filling up to its hieght, I have to be very carefull with how I build my water supply.

Let me rephrase: pumps repressurize magma to their level.  So if you drop the water down to 1 z-level below where you want it, and then use a pump to raise it one level, it will be pressurized to that level and will not go above it.  Eg:

Code: [Select]
X~X
X~X
X~X
X~XXXX
X~X sP~~
X~~~XXXX
XXXXXXXX
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »

Natural Cave with HFS cave water, cavern through the cave and magma, lets play ye olde dwarf fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3