Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Turning a natural cave into a fort  (Read 3079 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turning a natural cave into a fort
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

Well, for a bit of an added challenge, I went out and found a cave and am planning to turn it into a fort. What got me to thinking bout this is having seen what kind of things can show up in caves.  Right now the current plan is to take over the cave, without loosing too many dwarfs. And try my best to build around and incorperate the really bizzare cave design. Later I might make a huge tower on top of the cave entrance as the map does go up 60z levels.

Thoughts on the best method of taking over the cave  quickly and without loosing many dwarfs? I don't want to use flooding, or traps, especialy cage traps, unless I run into something really exotic in the cave. My current plan is to use doors to section off safe areas from dangeous areas, and take it over section by section.

And also because of the layout of the map, the cave is at Z-level 0, but the brook is up at z-16. I'm sure I  can get a good water supply down there with floodgates and channels, but I would rather not have to micro-manage switches to keep a constant supply. And have no clue as to how to go about getting the water to where I want it without switch micro-management, or flooding the whole area.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning a natural cave into a fort
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:24:51 pm »

I definately intend to do something similar to this. I would be you could do something like this by limiting your mining efforts to the safe areas you intend to create and even then keep the actual expansion into the rock face to a minimum. Stone is cheap to ship in with your settlers, 30 stone would easily allow you to reach wherever you would want your first safe zone to be, I'm pretty sure that would equate to 100 squares.

Anyways, really cool idea.

Oh, you could easily encorporate a no-stone rule, you could build a community using only lumber by kniting a fortress across overhangs in the cave walls.

By the way, if you are going to do something like this, unless you want an especially tight area I would suggest looking for a cave that spreads into a cavern, that would allow for a bit of expansion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:29:50 pm by Alex Encandar »
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:27:44 pm »

Would it be possible to build a pressure plate set to open the floodgate at 0-4 water and place the pressure plate at the top z-level of a cistern? 

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:18 pm »

Pressure-plate regulated cisterns/floodgates are easily doable.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:33:39 pm »

Oh, also make sure you have a steady supply of bolts and marksdwarves, if you incorporated an emphasis of fortifications on the borders of your safe zones, this could insure relative saftery in your fortress.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:46:38 pm »

Well, thankfully I have plenty of iron to work with for this on the map.

I am gonna try and avoid altering the cave as much as possible.

Oh, for those a bit curious as to what can show up in caves, here are some of the more interesting caves I noticed in a text file the game gave me after exporting an image, and the source for this fun idea.

Cave 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cave 2
Cave 3

I do have to say, depending on what and where things in a cave show up things could become quite interesting. None of these are from the world I am  currently playing in, just a teaser of how challenging addapting a cave to a fort could be.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:00:24 pm »

What kinda biomes were those in? Just curious if megabeasts, as well as major creatures like Cyclops, and giants rely on them.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »

And can you train inhabitants? If so, early dragon foo!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:05:53 pm »

Siminrushan, "Entrancecavern", a cave
1 cyclops
23 naked mole dogs
16 giant rats
25 antmen
1 gremlin
7 giant cave spiders
463 cave spiders
312 bats

Have fun with that cave...

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:46 pm »

Capture the spiders, and use them as a silk factory. ^_^

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »

Long ago I planned that, but my work fell through when I discovered they can't be bread >.<

O.o I just thought of some cool modding someone could do, giant cave spiders give birth to 5-10 cave spiders, cave spiders grow into giant cave spiders after 200 years or so.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 07:13:04 pm »

O.o I just thought of some cool modding someone could do, giant cave spiders give birth to 5-10 cave spiders, cave spiders grow into giant cave spiders after 200 years or so.

Interesting idea, but nobody's going to wait 200 years. Also, I think you'd have problems with it having most of the GCS's inherent abilities.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:33 pm »

Well I can't give you the biome's right now, as have to re-gen the world after changing make caves visable. Hopefully same world comes out. But I think the bigger factor might be cave size. The world these showed up in had a min size of 100, max of 500 for caves, and there are tons of crazy caves in it.  I don't know if I would be more affraid of the large group of Giant cave spiders, or a small group of them near something else just as deadly.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »

Interesting idea, but nobody's going to wait 200 years. Also, I think you'd have problems with it having most of the GCS's inherent abilities.

Yeah, the 200 years idea was so that most would die out before then so the world wouldn't die in a massive ichorey death 200 years after starting hehe.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40:43 pm »

Long ago I planned that, but my work fell through when I discovered they can't be bread >.<

Say, 7 years til childhood, 42 years later, say hallo to adulthood, and lets prepare your death bed at your 60th year alive.
Pages: [1] 2 3