Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving occupied coffins  (Read 2070 times)

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving occupied coffins
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:04:03 am »

It wouldbe great if you could move an occupied coffin without scatterig the bones everywhere.

Currently, if you deconstruct an occupied coffin the bones get chucked on the floor where they eventually end up in whatever bone stockpile you have. If you could deconstruct it into say s "rock salt coffin (Beardy McDwarf)", keeping the bones inside it, then you could move it around - eg to a more appropriate tomb.

So you could move your early die-ers to a "Founder's Tomb" once you are established, or move that hero who died holding off the goblin hordes to a nicer tomb etc. :)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving occupied coffins
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:49:25 am »

I would like to ability to assign a tomb to a deceased dwarf who is already intombed. So that if my entire fort is saved by a previously unremarkable peasant, I could assign him a heroes' tomb and have his bones moved from the -Schist coffin- in the peasants' graves to a *Gold coffin* in a Royal Tomb.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:55:03 am »

Going off on a tangent here, but in this context it would also be nice of the spirits of the deceased would have happy and unhappy thoughts depending on the degree of veneration (tomb opulence, renown of tomb mates, pilgrimages, sacrificial offerings, etc), and perhaps they could even influence the rock home in some way.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:54 am »

Are you sure the bones aren't reburied after the hauling is done?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 11:31:14 am »

Going off on a tangent here, but in this context it would also be nice of the spirits of the deceased would have happy and unhappy thoughts depending on the degree of veneration (tomb opulence, renown of tomb mates, pilgrimages, sacrificial offerings, etc), and perhaps they could even influence the rock home in some way.

Especially if the spirits get pissed if they don't get enough respect (maybe only in high 'spirit' aligned zones.)

I like the thought of the sphere alignments determining the kind of challenges you get.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:58:28 am »

Two words: Zombie Dwarves.

That said, more flexibility for tombs would be nice.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:20:08 pm »

Two words: Zombie Dwarves.

Pirate ninja dwarves > Zombie Dwarves. Pirate ninja zombie dwarves however, that'd be something!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:13:09 pm »

Even if they do, they shouldn't scatter in the first place -- they should still be inside the coffin (item, not coffin building) after deconstruction.  I don't know if coffins work as containers yet, but they should.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:28:19 pm »

I'd rather bury them in magma. Thats more dwarven then being entombed in rock.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:05 am »

Even if they do, they shouldn't scatter in the first place -- they should still be inside the coffin (item, not coffin building) after deconstruction.  I don't know if coffins work as containers yet, but they should.

Well I'd rather like the option to move them to a better casket. How would you feel having to rest eternally in a placeholder?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:06:53 am »

I like this idea. I often find myself lamenting the fact that I can't give a valiant dwarf his just reward.

On a similar note, it'd be neat if engravings in a tomb were more likely to relate to the dwarf assigned to that tomb, whether buried yet or still alive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:21:07 pm »

Well I'd rather like the option to move them to a better casket. How would you feel having to rest eternally in a placeholder?

Yeah, that IS more important.  Goes hand in hand with assigning coffins postmortem, I think.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »

Either is good.  :)
I'm not that fussed about upgrading the coffin itself, as there is something to be said about hero-peasants being buried in humble coffins, but some way of moving them so I can find them again is what I really want.

I've not tried deconstructing an occupied coffin for a while but the last time I did the bones got tossed on the floor until some peasant carted them off to the bone/shell stockpile. Eventually I got some dwarf bone bolts....not what was intended!

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »

Build a grand hall and ante room around the dwarven hero in his humble coffin. Personally most of my catacombs are single space tombs that get walled up when they're occupied. Very dwarven and good insurance against the Zombie Apocalypse arc.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 09:32:37 am »

hmmm, this brings to mind some of the unrogue-like features of DF... that is, everything is always fully identified.

Shouldn't the dwarves forget whose bones these are after a few gazillion years?
Pages: [1] 2