Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fountaintomb  (Read 3446 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fountaintomb
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:31:12 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3922-fountaintomb

My inspiration for my current main project was a combination of both access and defense. The trade depot is located quite deep in the mountain however, the fortress remains largely impregnable. At 25 years of age, Fountaintomb is quickly approuching my record of 32 years or so (Onolerar, a previous project of mine, was erased through a vista-xp transfer accident with an age somewhere in the early 30s).

Suggestions as to how I could improve my current defenses are always appreciated as are aesthetic requests and comments. Thanks.

Oh, I dislike traps and so kept them pretty much to a minimum aside from the small group of them in the dry moat at the entrance.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fountaintomb
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »

At 25 years of age, approuching my record of 32

YE GODS! That's awesome!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:50:54 pm »

At 25 years of age, approuching my record of 32

YE GODS! That's awesome!

Thanks hehe, on a sad note, my war dogs are slowly dying off from old age, around 30 so far.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:00:46 pm »

They arent reproducing? in my first year usually all my animals have young and when you reclaim with like 30 wardogs this can get really really out of hand haha. I've built a few fortresses like yours but no where near the scale, you should try the orcs then try to build because its so much more funner to properly test your defenses.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 04:12:10 pm »

I have looked over that map, and unless there is some secluded stairwell to the fountian with a bomb in it, this thread is not in my best interests.

But seriously, where the heck is all the moss? Old constructions generally get it in older forts, making them look awesome.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »

They arent reproducing? in my first year usually all my animals have young and when you reclaim with like 30 wardogs this can get really really out of hand haha. I've built a few fortresses like yours but no where near the scale, you should try the orcs then try to build because its so much more funner to properly test your defenses.

Yeah, I intend to turn on sieges soon. The dogs are reproducing, sorta. They started to soon after a lot of them died, my population cap is set to 100, raising it to 350 once the housing area is complete. Also I am putting in a 3 square wide moat, not for defensive purposes, just for fun really.

If I haven't mentioned, Kol's first action as a legendary weaponsmith was to forge 12 masterpiece maces and crossbows, so I shouldn't have much trouble with defense, wish I had a legendary armorsmith though. Probably will increase my stockpile to 50 masterpiece steel maces just for fun. Also I have to make sure I set star rubies and sapphires in them along with green diamonds :D

I have looked over that map, and unless there is some secluded stairwell to the fountian with a bomb in it, this thread is not in my best interests.

But seriously, where the heck is all the moss? Old constructions generally get it in older forts, making them look awesome.

Good point, I remember in the past having moss quite a bit, maybe it doesn't grow in the current version? Wierd.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:15:46 pm by Alex Encandar »

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:25:18 pm »

So I raised the pop cap to 400, but after 3 years I have yet to see an immigrant. It says they are too nervous, so I've turned on invasions and intend to hold out as long as I can until I have to reclaim, at which point hopefully my wealth will allow a major force to retake the fortress :D

Check the map in the coming days for a video or three of major sieges hehe.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:34 am »

It's really impressive. Well done. Everything is spaced kinda far apart, so I wonder how much time is spent lugging things around? (this from the guy who places little 3x3 alcohol stockpiles everywhere so dwarves don't have to run about drinking)

And your fortress is not that safe. I didn't spot the clever little walkway. Get them to dodge into the chasm, eh? Clever boy. However, with large sieges you're in trouble. Grunts will jam up the weapon traps, and then elite marksgoblins will be able to shoot back through the fortifications. A troll breaks down the door, and you have only one more line of defense (I'd put in another line of floodgates closer to the actual second moat. Quicker response time). Nice killfield, though. The rampstaircase is brilliant, I shall steal it for my own use.

If you don't up the response time on the secondary moat, it'll take too long to fill. Kobolds can fall down 1 z level without too much damage, and climbing up ramps is easy. Your workshops wouldn't be safe any longer.