Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whoops  (Read 2716 times)

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whoops
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:40:05 pm »

Well, I just finished my magma pumping system, and the fort hasn't flooded, so that's good.  But I was surprised to see my floodgates melt.  I used bauxite for the mechanisms so I thought I was safe, but the gates themselves melted.

I thought floodgates didn't melt?
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whoops
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 11:48:48 pm »

And you have here an excellent example of how thoughts can't affect the world of DF.

Only constructions (walls, fortifications, floors) and natural walls aren't affected by temperature.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »

Oh well, at least I know now
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:26:22 am »

Just in case you were considering iron pumps for your magma, those come apart.  I ~thought~ *grins*  that since wood pumps would work, iron should also.  Oddly enough, the pump parts were recoverable, even though the peasant (male, single) was reduced to smoke and bones.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 01:59:25 am »

Why would iron be a bad choice? It's magma-safe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:27 am »

Are you absolutely sure all parts were indeed made of iron? Because I have had several functioning iron magma pumps. And the melting point of iron is higher than magma temperature.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:36:29 am »

Well, I just finished my magma pumping system, and the fort hasn't flooded, so that's good.  But I was surprised to see my floodgates melt.  I used bauxite for the mechanisms so I thought I was safe, but the gates themselves melted.

I thought floodgates didn't melt?

Closed floodgates don't melt. But the reason people will tell you the only thing you need bauxite for is the mechanisms is because everything else you might want to have in contact with magma can be made of metal (i.e. your floodgates should be iron)

slink, you should try it again and post a map of the area before you activate the pump so that if it happens again the problem can be figured out - an iron pump should have no problem.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:38:25 am by Random832 »

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:26:52 pm »

Pumps don't melt though on the exit-side, that tile is blocking and unaffected by temperature. It's only from the intake side that a non-magma-safe pump will melt if it comes into contact with magma. (And note, pumping magma from 1 z level down is not being in contact. The pump "teleports" the magma to the other side and doesn't do any temperature checking)
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:36:49 pm »

Pumps don't melt though on the exit-side, that tile is blocking and unaffected by temperature. It's only from the intake side that a non-magma-safe pump will melt if it comes into contact with magma.

Right, but an iron pump shouldn't melt regardless, and if it did melt its components should have melted.

Was it dwarf-operated? Could the dwarf getting burned have caused it to deconstruct?

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:28 pm »

a magma pump has a iron or steel corkscrew and pipe, a bauxite mechanism... and a bauxite block. if that block isnt magma safe then the whole thing fails.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:12:11 pm »

a magma pump has a iron or steel corkscrew and pipe, a bauxite mechanism... and a bauxite block. if that block isnt magma safe then the whole thing fails.

But only if the whole thing is submerged. You can have the block made of coal and only have magma touching the output and the thing won't melt. If the pump is submerged, then is when you need all materials to be magma-safe.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:58:06 pm »

Pumps don't take mechanisms. I've heard that glass blocks are magma-safe.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:03:29 pm »

Glass is not magma safe.

But iron is.  My magma safe pumps use one iron corkscrew, one iron pipe, and one iron block.

My magma safe bridges (less mechanisms than floodgates) use one iron block and one adamantine mechanism (no %^@#ing bauxite)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »

The output side of the pump counts as a wall and is therefor magma-proof. Unless your pump is totally submerged it's safe.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:11 pm »

The components for a screw pump are
-pipe (can be made out of anything, unless the construction is submerged into magma, then it needs to be made out of magma safe materials)
-block (same as above)
-corkscrew (always needs to be made out of magma safe materials)

Also, make sure the magma doesn't come into contact with a gear, unless its again made out of magma safe materials (only bauxite)

Can someone verify this all to be correct?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: [1] 2