Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Wurmonline DF town  (Read 19780 times)

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurmonline DF town
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

I played VoyageCentury a while back. It certainly is one of the most well polished free games you can play online. There are beautiful outdoor areas for gathering resources and exploring sites, various quests depending on your interest, the best ship simulation ive yet to see and a horribly tedious resource gathering system.

While awesome the resource problem gets horrible after a while. You are left with two options:

1. Order your character to 'smack a tree' or 'hit a rock' to collect resources (very slowly), leave and have a cup of coffee, come back and set your character to repeat the task (because they ran out of stamina), repeat.
OR
2. Pay stupid amounts of silver to buy the resources off other players, completely depleting your cash stocks, stopping you from buying food and ammunition for your sea voyages and leaving you pissed as such a rip off!

Otherwise its a pretty good game, if you dont actually plan to play it effectively. Lots to explore, lots to fire your cannons at, lots of loot to steal and then get killed by patrol ships.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Ran across a goofy-looking mmo opening today.

It's not what we're looking for, but thought I'd link it anyways for being different - one of the game features is creating music.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Uh, no.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Bah now I'm going through a list now. Despite browsing in the 'Fully Free' section of this site, I'm finding games that cost money. Bah some people have no sense of honor!

Edit: well that was a pointless exercise. It's starting to look like it might be easier to make the game ourselves. Of course its easier said than done... back to searching for me then.  :(

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Fenrir

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dark:
<STRONG>It's starting to look like it might be easier to make the game ourselves.</STRONG>
That might not be entirely impossible.
http://www.byond.com

WARNING:
1. It's not that great, but that's what you get for free.
2. On the forums, even some of the moderators are assholes!

I never used it, but it's the easiest way to make an MMO that I've seen.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Otherwise its a pretty good game, if you dont actually plan to play it effectively. Lots to explore, lots to fire your cannons at, lots of loot to steal and then get killed by patrol ships.</STRONG>

The game's best feature is the Ship battles, think Pirates of The Carribean (the game released in 2000 something) but with alot more awesome added.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

[Ignore] I knew my computer wasn't up to snuff and shouldn't have even tried.

A quick note on Illarion, though. It's pretty strict on RP. There is no powergaming, as many are wont to do.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

I noticed that.  As much as I think roleplaying would be an important part of our game of choice, thse guys seem pretty damn hardcore.  It may not be as fun.

I'll have to go back to a few others I checked out earlier and decided against.  The pickings are kinda slim.

EDIT1:Heh heh.  There's always Anarchy Online.  Dwarves in space.

Your machine will probably get killed by that though, Mephisto.  Teensy bit graphics-intensive.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

EDIT2:  Well, if it is actually free now, 'A Tale in the Desert III' is quite nice, and although I don't think we'd be able to actually dig into a mountain, they allow for some rather impressive architecture that also has the potential for being very dwarven.  And, we can make the whole bleedin' thing ourselves, and brew our own beer.  Very nice resource system they have set up.

But I know the version I played before wasn't free.  I'm not sure if that's changed, or if it's actually a free newer version that I haven't heard about, or if it's just been listed incorrectly.

I remember when I found out that my 24 hour trial period was closing, I gave a little speech about my how paying a monthly fee for a game went against my principles (that summary makes it sound kinda stupid, but I was being serious), and so I gave back the materials that had been given to me by the very friendly guild leader I bumped into, and logged out for the last time.

I've actually still got a couple minutes on that account, since I logged myself out instead of getting booted out.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

Eh...

quote:

A Tale in the Desert is a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game set in ancient Egypt. You can get a taste of life in our Tale by exploring the site or downloading the game client for free. After you've played 24 hours, we'll ask if you'd like to subscribe for $13.95 per month.

I'd be glad to pay for a game if it was fun and I had the means to. This game may be fun, but I have no way of making an online payment.

I'm content to raise my fire hatchling in Crossfire to insane levels while the search is ongoing. If anyone wants to join me, inform me somehow and I'll restart on a real server.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

Found something call 'Shadows of Soma', that says briefly that it has an incredibly in-depth crafting system, but I can't find any damned info on the game!
http://www.wiki4mmo.com/index.php?title=Free_to_Play_N-Z#S  
Scroll down for a little bit.

Nothing at all, just the client download.  Browsed through the forums and there wasn't anything related that I saw (not exactly a deep examination, but they didn't have any sections that looked informative), so you either know the game fully or you don't know it at all.

Would it have killed them to write a freakin' text file?  There's nothing on the game aside from that tiny blurb talking about how it has a really deep crafting system, something about how your character gets old, and a single sentence about how they've got the deepest guild system ever seen in an MMORPG.

As a side note, the site talks about another MMO called Age of Conan that should be coming out on the 20th.  I'm pretty sure that that one doesn't even pretend to be free.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:00 am »

Nah, that's one of the big name mmos for '08.  Nowhere close to free.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

I thought I'd been reading something about that before.  No matter, the Conan films were dumb enough (not to say they weren't entertaining, just that they were dumb), I don't think we really need a game for it.

Well, I can't seem to find any more lists that have games I haven't already looked at...  I go from looking for a game, to looking for a place to find a game.  I really hope we can settle on something soon, this is getting tiring...

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

We could always team up with Fenrir, learn programming, get good at pixel art and then make our own game for several years until we finally give up due to frustration, making our many fans cry out in shame. Lots of people are doing it! Plus it will be a learning experience.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

I would, but I've got seven threads, three mods, two fortresses, an adventurer, an electric guitar and a foreign language that I should be working on.

I'll let you know when I'm done.

Fenrir

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>team up with Fenrir, learn programming,</STRONG>
"Learn programming" would be necessary for the both of us, as I'm just a Dabbling Programmer. I forget that sometimes. The only reason I think I can pull off that browser-based RPG I've been talking about is because I'm a Novice Web Developer.

Now it would be entirely possible with BYOND. After playing around with it, I decided against using it myself, but what do you think? I don't want to sound like I'm pushing this or advertising it in any way, since this is the second time I've mentioned it, but it's the quickest way. It has downsides, like all shortcuts do. It's 2D for starters...

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18