Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Wurmonline DF town  (Read 19783 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Wurmonline DF town
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I found something which looked like just the thing, but...

It hasn't been released yet.</STRONG>

I hope you aren't referring to Darkfall, that's been in development for longer than DF with nothing to show for it. If it ever is released, it'll be a long time from now.

All we have on it is two or three videos and their word.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

No no, not that.  Wouldn't you have to pay for that, if it were released?

I'm referring to something called "Freeworld".  They may be taking on beta testers, but you basically have to get in line for that.  And they may not actually be taking them on.

Well, I'll keep looking...  There must be something out there.

EDIT:  found one where the only attracting feature seems to be the fact that it has a concept artist who is very, very good at drawing scantily-clad women...  None of that translates into the game however, which has rather poor graphics.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

I don't believe 'dwarves' is a strictly necessary part... you could probably broaden your search to anything with a similar level of world manipulation.

If there were short characters that lived underground and liked to call themselves dwarves, who would argue?

:p

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2008, 07:37:00 am »

Hey, what about this: http://www.irthworlds.com/

It's even got dwarves.  It may not last long though, and the website is pretty poorly laid out, but I haven't found anything particularly discouraging about the game itself yet.

I'll keep looking until something really jumps out at me.  For now, poke around on the ones I've suggested and see if any of them fit the bill.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

Looks alright, but keep searching! So far the only game I know of that has the most freedom when it comes to altering the world is Wurm, but it is WAY too much hard work to be much fun.

Still, I cant help but imagine carving out a dwarven fortress in it, despite the lack of dwarves. Currently it would be impossible to mine corridors and rooms because of the sheer amount of time it takes to mine one tile of cave. Unless of course we had about 20 people helping. Plus Mojang hasn't added cave doors, so we couldn't cut our rooms off from the rest of the fortress. We could have beds and chests in our rooms though. Tables and chairs are useless, except for making a dining room look awesome.

We could then make stockpiles of wood for starting up a smithing operation, but then I realise a problem: ore tiles take something like 10000 mining actions to remove, so if we run into an ore tile while mining our fortress, we would have to dig around it. Still, if you cant find anything else, and we can get enough people, its a possibility.

Food production would be a problem because we cant grow crops underground. Even if we could grow underground though, gathering seeds would be hard. Plus it would take a while to get a good farming operation up because at a low farming skill we cannot get a good yield, if at all.

Once we did get it set up we still wouldnt be able to make booze, except maybe wine, but what kind of dwarf likes wine? Water would have to be our main drink then, because setting up an outdoor vineyard would be hard, plus I think we can only harvest grapes in a certain season.

Not only that we would need to make lanterns to light our tunnels, but that wont be as big a problem as actually stockpiling a crazy amount of tar to fuel them.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

It's rather disappointing overall, as caves in Wurm seem interesting even when empty.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

It just looked to me like everything in Wurm was...  Stiff.  

From the screenshots in this thread (the few that I've seen, anyways), it looks incredibly bland.  Everybody looks the same, and apparently can't move their limbs.

I just found something called "Illarion", which might work.  It's got material processing, building, some in-depth features, and dwarves.  However, there are a couple things that need to be noted:

There appear to be no animations.  People look like they are in a perpetual state of walk-standing or stand-walking.

In order to build in an area that is not already an officially settled area (I don't think the "living among the humans" fortress type will qualify for what we want), you need to have a guild that is recognized  by the game masters, and that has had at least four members active for at least four months, none of whom may be associated with any other guild.  Only then can you build in the wilderness areas.

I don't know if it's possible to dig into a mountain, but you can at least build buildings and start up farm fields.  Give it a look-see, and lemme know what you think.  It doesn't scream "I'M PERFECT" at me, so I'll still keep looking until a verdict is reached.
http://illarion.org/illarion/us_screenshots.php

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

Ugh, I can't even reach Copperblazes. First time I had to turn back, second one I was ambushed by a troll in between Garden and Crossroads.

Third time I was killed by a bear and a different troll near the same spot.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

Illarion looks... interesting. There are a few strange things, like that screenshot that shows snow next to a desert, plus all the terrain looks so flat. Though it has static animations, Wurm is rather stiff too. One of the screenshots did show some kind of carved smithing area built by dwarves though. For looks, Wurm definetly wins, however depending on how easy it is to gather and process resources and build things, it may be better or worse. Keep looking though! I might do a search myself, though I think we may never find anything with the level of detail we're looking for.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

I found yet another one that looks interesting, but is still only in development.  Why the hell do they list these things???  Are they trying to confuse me?

Found another list (I've gone through about four now...), which linked me to a sequel of a game I played a long time ago and enjoyed quite a bit, but had to quit when I found out you had to pay for it.

The sequel said nothing about being free either, so I have no idea why a free game list would have it on there.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

There's Perfect World. I'm not sure how good it is, as I have integrated graphics and the client crashes to my desktop every time I open it.

You're supposed to be able to build and stuff in this game. I didn't keep reading as I don't want to read if I can't play it.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

Hmm, Malaysia? I hope it's not like a Korean MMO.

*Goes to check it out*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

I've been staying away from all the "based on asian X!" games.  Unlike a lot of people, I'm not an ardent worshiper of the far east.

I believe there was a Nietzsche quote that stated something to the effect of "The farther away it is, the more people love it".  I've found several of his quotes to strike true, and this one is no exception.  And what a moustache he had...

I don't feel like playing a BKFK game.

EDIT:  If you're willing to compromise mountains, there's a pirate-era MMORPG that's free.  I don't think we can make a bunch of very short pirates and pass them off as dwarves, but we could be pirates in our own ship.  That's always nice.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

Link me, but I would highly prefer building an impregnable, self sufficient fortress with a group of people than say "Yarr! Where be me dwarven rum?" and rob other peoples sweetpod cargo.

EDIT: For now Illarion seems best, as it seems we can make a fortress inside a mountain. However:

quote:
Guilds and clans, which are official guilds at the guildboard for at least 3 months, can build everywhere. But the groups has to be autonom of other guilds (citizens of the official settlements are not included). That means that the leadership and at least 4 members are not in any other guild or clan. Guilds and clans can found partnerships to build.

So we need at least a five people guild that has been official for three months. Plus:

quote:
In the wilderness you have to pay money to the worker for reclaiming land. The price is 20 coppercoins per field.

The Creation of new caves/cellars in the underground or inside of mountains costs 100 coppercoins per field. The ground and the walls will be made of natural rock.

So it will cost five times more to make our Dwarf Fort. Not only that but it appears that resource costs are quite high, though I have no idea how quickly resources can be gathered, so far it looks tedious. You can check out the costs here: http://illarion.org/illarion/us_build_rules.php

If we do finally decide to play it there is one good thing: since we have to wait three months before we can begin work on the fortress, we should have enough time to amass enough wealth and resources to actually build it once we're allowed.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Yeah, me too...   I'm having a hard time finding anything like that, though.
http://www.voyagecenturyonline.com/

And it would appear that I have now come across a free cybersex MMO...  My, the things a person can find on the internet.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18