Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favourite Minor Tweaks  (Read 4018 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Favourite Minor Tweaks
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 01:59:11 am »

Crude solution: duplicate the raws for weapons you want to make from obsidian, with half damage or so.  Give this version [CAN_STONE], and adjust the names a bit.  Metal versions of the weak copies will show up in adventure mode, but you'll be able to make obsidian weapons that are less effective than steel ones.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 02:43:10 am »

I like making obsidian usable for spears, as well as short swords.  Obsidian spear head, wooden shaft... it just makes sense, in my opinion.

I do this with axes as well.  If you can make a goddamn sword, an axe should be trivial.

I also do the sharp flint mod.  Chert too.

Less goblin clothing.

Reduce the min size of some of the big weapons so dwarves can wield them two-handed.

Crude solution: duplicate the raws for weapons you want to make from obsidian, with half damage or so.  Give this version [CAN_STONE], and adjust the names a bit.  Metal versions of the weak copies will show up in adventure mode, but you'll be able to make obsidian weapons that are less effective than steel ones.

You could also create "psuedometals," e.g. a metal called "sharp obsidian" or whatever, created from raw stone at a smelter, with a damage level of your choosing.  It's too bad the material-specific item glosses (glass door is called a portal, etc.) are hardcoded, otherwise you could force the game to gloss stone bars as "obsidian blades" etc.

Ha, you could use those item glosses to gloss rock short swords as "macuahuitl," so it would say "flint mahacuitl" instead of "flint short sword."  If that capability ever makes it into the raws, of course.]

* Jake cancels mod in flint weapons: Interrupted by stuff he really hopes Toady One stops hard-coding in future releases.

Hopefully the properties in the material lists will control damage in the next version.  Kludge tags like SHARP and DAMAGE_PERC will be obsolete, but maybe he'll leave them in anyway to avoid getting bogged down overhauling the damage system.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:02:00 am by Footkerchief »

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 02:51:05 am »

[SPEED:1] 'Nuff said
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:09 am »

Just call it "crude axe/sword/etc" or something like that, if someone wants to make a crappy steel sword well, that's their problem :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

Lower the MODVALUE of Giant Cave Spiders to 3 or 4. 

GCS silk is still fairly expensive, but at least the goblins don't come into battle wearing a thong worth more than anything they have ever owned combined.  600☼ is a bit much imo. 

The only side effect I found so far is that the meat and chitin costs less.  Personally I don't think giant dwarfeating spider would taste good, and the chitin is just as good as gopher leather, so it works out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 10:56:44 am »

Aside from creating a Grasping mouth for cats so they can carry vermin around...hmm, I like adding the [SOIL_SAND] tag to loamy sand and sandy loam. Much awesomeness.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 11:59:58 am »

Lower the MODVALUE of Giant Cave Spiders to 3 or 4. 

GCS silk is still fairly expensive, but at least the goblins don't come into battle wearing a thong worth more than anything they have ever owned combined.  600☼ is a bit much imo. 

The only side effect I found so far is that the meat and chitin costs less.  Personally I don't think giant dwarfeating spider would taste good, and the chitin is just as good as gopher leather, so it works out.

I still prefer removing [SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING] so that if you get some, it's still worth it.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:04 pm »

I just remembered that I used to mod microcline, gypsum, and orthoclase to [CLUSTER_SMALL] or whatever the tag is.  Despise them and all.  I tried cutting down on some of the soil layers just for my sake too.  "Sandy Loam" and "Loamy sand"?  Is that necessary?

By that same logic, one species of gibbon.

I like to cut out some of the instruments and toys, to make demands easier since I never make them normally.

To cut down on clutter I, take out a lot of extraneous clothing from the entity files, like mittens, socks, hoods, and such.  However, I enjoyed adding chain-mail cloaks to a long running random-stuff mod, just for the idea of it.

Oh, and my crab mod.  'Cause crabs are awesome.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »

I have a mod that switches iron and bronze's relative powers to make it more realistic, adds a weaker 'tin bronze' that simulates regular bronze, and an 'aluminum bronze' that does nearly as much damage as steel.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 06:38:28 pm »

I make dwarves and elves live in human styled cities, so that they have shops, and easy to find leaders.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 07:13:58 pm »

I have a mod that switches iron and bronze's relative powers to make it more realistic, adds a weaker 'tin bronze' that simulates regular bronze, and an 'aluminum bronze' that does nearly as much damage as steel.
At first I read that as "booze's."  While that would be awesome, what you really said is still a cool idea.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 07:36:02 pm »

I have a custom plant raw I use, but right now I'm experimenting with giving ore tags to all layer stone, so I can smelt out fine veins of ore from bulk rock with a very high failure rate.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 08:43:30 pm »

Stone bins (unfortunately I can only seem to make them at a smelter but eh)

If a stone cabinet makes sense to dwarves, and a lead bin makes sense to dwarves, a rhyolite bin shouldn't be impossible

Also, making Dimple Cups brewable as another type of dwaven booze (Dwarven Whiskey is what I chose to call it) so they're not relatively useless.

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »

I changed the damaged of bolts and arrows to 30. Bone bolts can still be used for hunting and target practice, but don't bring them to a real fight.

The stock damage of 100 would be OK if I could make them fire 1/3 the current speed.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »

You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3