Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How much do you care about rock types?  (Read 5299 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: How much do you care about rock types?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:09 am »

i automark (well manually, but it is like a reflex) any microline, ortholcae and such colorful stones that really annoys me :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

drawf_irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 01:35:45 pm »

I wouldn't care so much except that I really really would rather all my furniture of any given type be the SAME. Doesn't matter what rock. Unfortunately, no matter what paranoid measures I take around my furniture shops, dirty colors always creep in.

Eventually, once I've really played mature fortresses more (I've never concentrated on a single fort beyond pop 60 or so) I'll probably start flooring/walling my off-color areas too.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 02:28:41 pm »

Regardless of the hardness of stone - I'm nowhere near as much of a geology geek :P - I'm obsessive about color coordination and symmetry.

Microcline can make a good accent in some places - a clear glass area, for example - and I love the richly colored stuff like cobaltite, cinnabar and kimberlite. I really wish copper wasn't the same color as wood, though, or that gold/electrum/brass/bismuth bronze were differentiated somewhat.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »

I'll tell you orthoclase is fucking annoying.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 03:22:24 pm »

I don't care what stone is used for what. As long as shit gets done.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 04:44:12 pm »

I love the colored stones. Rutile has to be my favorite, but it's obnoxiously rare. Then there's microcline and orthoclase and kaolinite (also rare) and olivine and all the other amazing colors. The only stone I hate is alunite. It's so boring and white and ugly.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:56 pm »

I amuse myself by making orthoclase block roads...
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »

I amuse myself by making orthoclase block roads...

Wizards haven't been properly implemented yet.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

In order to make the rare stones more interesting I mod the values for them up so their is a real reason to build with them.  I also care about colors and things like making the whole floor of a room the same stone so I'll lay down floor to cover over minor spots of other materials.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 11:50:42 pm »

I can't stand Orthoclase and Microline. I do however like all the blue green and red stones.  As to Marble, it should have its own entire color scheme, red marble, blue marble, marble of various colours veined with yet more colors... mmmmmm
I think one day I'll mod the granite to be Blue Granite.  We have it in the Canadian Rockies.  With it I'll build a fort of indestructible blue grandeur.  While I'm at it, I'll turn the marble to green.  Blue fortress with green marble statues, tables and chairs.  I may as well just edit out that useless orthoclase and microline.  Or better yet mod them to be a coke producing flux stone.  Finally get some damned use out of them  :D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 06:13:18 am »

I enjoy making furniture out of the different colored rocks, and being all OCD this turns into a painstaking color-coordination system of doors, tables, and cabinets.

Olivine is my particular favorite, because I love the idea of furniture made of green rock.  The rarer ones like cobaltite and cinnibar are also cool, also because they're both ores of toxic substances.

I will also throw my hat into the ring of hating orthoclase, gypsum, and microcline, because of how their bright colors jump out and poke you in the eye.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 07:56:52 am »

For some reason, this reminded me of Friedensreich Hundertwasser, architect ... might look like 'Bloody Awful' Johnson's work at first, but once you get used to the design, his buildings are actually well-designed and functional.

"Your dwarves have completed a *refuse incineration plant*. On the item is an image of strawberries in Realgar. On the item is an image of Circles in Brimstone."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Hunderwasser_Fernheizwerk.JPG

Another nice one. Note the (Realgar?) Supports on the left ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/7/73/Hundertwasser1.jpg

Or check out this Steel Throne encircled with wood, with erm ... engravings of squares?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Hundertwassertoilette2.jpg

The inside of a Kindergarten (do Engravers make Mosaics too?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Hundertwasser-Kindergarten_(4).jpg

Almost a dwarf fortress ... it's a Ronald McDonald house, not sure if it's an orphans' home or the HQ or what.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/f/f4/Hunderwasser-Geb%C3%A4ude%2C_Essen.jpg

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:38 am »

I'm all about symmetry too. It's annoying to be digging out the bedrooms and hit a pocket of microcline... but since I will probably engrave it at some point, rather than floor/wall it with a stone similiar to the other rooms, I color-code the furniture to it. So I have microcline coffers and cabinets in the microcline rooms, and diorite furniture in the diorite rooms.

For the rest of the stone I don't use, well, that's what Siege-Operator training is for. 
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:31 am »

For some reason, this reminded me of Friedensreich Hundertwasser, architect ... might look like 'Bloody Awful' Johnson's work at first, but once you get used to the design, his buildings are actually well-designed and functional.

*snip*

My eyes, they burn.

On topic, I hate orthoclase and microcline. I like my stuff to all be one color wall, with occasional mosaics for the floors. Other than those, one color. Preferably marble or limestone.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 12:52:52 pm »

I dislike the bright pockets of junk located pretty much everywhere as i generaly prefer to mine the parts of the fort i plan looking at most in darker layers to reduce the strain on my eyes caused by the black with white/cyan/yellow contrast. The stones i hate most are microcline because it's ugly and it's EVERYWHERE and alunite because it's too bright and i can't mine 3 tiles of precious obsidian without bumping into it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 [2] 3