Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean  (Read 5168 times)

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 04:37:06 pm »

So how many blocks would qualify as a megaproject?  I've got 31k blocks in the castle (and surrounding village) I'm making... it just takes so long to make blocks, even with 10 smiths and 50 people putting up blocks, I'm 15 years in with no end in sight.  Don't get me started on children, if it's going to take a while you might want to adjust your .ini file, 275 dwarves is too much for my computer to handle.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 05:31:28 pm »

ChaoticJosh - build a small roofed hut with a food stockpile in it on the first platform of land you get, so that you can have a food stockpile that won't rot near your masons.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 05:35:05 pm »

so artificially made "inside" tiles protect the food the same as subterranean ones?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 05:35:40 pm »

So far as I can tell - I built an entire aboveground "Granary" in my current tower.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:51 pm »

Last time I heard, cooked food was immuned to rotting.

sdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »

Aw man I thought you meant pave the entire bottom of the ocean. Now that would be an engineeringfeat I would be envious of.

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »

Aw man I thought you meant pave the entire bottom of the ocean. Now that would be an engineeringfeat I would be envious of.

Oh god. What have you done.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 04:02:35 pm »

Oh god. What have you done.

Embarking now...

I plan to use progressive levels of atom-smashers to crush the ocean!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 05:42:21 pm »

Toady fixed it so that dry ocean tiles don't spawn waves, so this will even work.

Dwarf Holland!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 11:28:21 pm »

ummmm......wouldnt the floor collapse/cave-in once its gets built large enough? wouldnt you need to drain the ocean to build supports

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »

no, the current cave-in mechanics are incredibly simple. a tile only needs to be connected to any other tile to not fall. if you tried, and dug out the sides and bottom of an entire map, you could support the whole map with a single pillar.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:57 pm »

ummmm......wouldnt the floor collapse/cave-in once its gets built large enough? wouldnt you need to drain the ocean to build supports

No, as long as it maintains a foothold in at least one spot, you can built as big as you want.  There's no such mechanic for what you are stating.

It would be easier however to set up a group of pumps and some lavaducts to just pump massive amounts of magma over the water to turn the top layer into obsidian.  The hardest part is getting magma safe stuff to make a few pumps.  I was thinking of doing such a thing if only to get rid of these waves that keep slowing my map down.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:45 am »

everyone keeps suggesting magma, but unfortunately i have none. perhaps i shoulda pointed that out.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 12:47:36 am »

One thing: if you pour water over your floor, you can farm it.

My vision now is that of a dozen or two mason shops in a line.  In the center, a pump to make some floor wet, with a grate over the intake just in case; a little hut with beds in it (and no beds anywhere else) and maybe a few chairs and tables, and a still.  Move this setup every time you move the front another 30 or so tiles.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 02:24:36 am »

ChaoticJosh - build a small roofed hut with a food stockpile in it on the first platform of land you get, so that you can have a food stockpile that won't rot near your masons.

According to the wiki, food in a stockpile never rots, ever. So you should be able to just put a food stockpile above ground and it'll stay. Never tried it though.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4