Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean  (Read 5166 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject: Paving the Ocean
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:31:05 am »

Yeah, remember the terrifying ocean i was telling you guys about? i've decided a megaproject after playing on it for awhile. to avoid any future "flying skeletal whales" i've decided to pave the entire ocean with floor tiles.

i've already started aggressive mining to obtain the necessary crazy amounts of stone, and have around 20 newbie masons working at it atm. i'll need to get a higher pop though to provide the massive amount of manpower needed to do this though.

it weird how waves can go right through floor tiles.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: Paving the Ocean
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:34:27 am »

I fully support this insanity.  Go, Josh, Go!
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:55:25 am »

Are you just going to pave the part of the ocean in your specific region, or are you going to go all out and constantly start new fortresses farther along the beach until you literally pave the ENTIRE ocean?

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

Obsidian! Either pave even quicker with magma, or use obsidian farms to produce the stone.

Then again, mining is much faster than obsidian farming.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:56 am »

Be sure to make it menace with spikes!

And possibly have a couple openings for when you want to face the whales.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:37:09 am »

Have 4 ballistae surrounding the hole too! Plus a watertower filled with magma above it ready to dump magma everywhere when a pressure switch is triggered!

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:17 am »

Yeah, remember the terrifying ocean i was telling you guys about? i've decided a megaproject after playing on it for awhile. to avoid any future "flying skeletal whales" i've decided to pave the entire ocean with floor tiles.

I also Agree with your dwarven insanity!

But i'm going to laugh so hard if they spawn on-top of your dwarven-made floor. since they don't need water to breath.

Keep us updated on the project!  ;D
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:10:16 pm »

i've never thought of them spawning ontop of the floor, but i guess i'll just have to continue and see. i'm more worried though of of the possibility of land-based units spawning on the floor tiles onces i've hit the edge of the map, because i'm not sure if the game keeps track of whats off the map or not.

for the one question by Dhargk, i'm only doing my region, but its a 6x6 map with 35 of the 36 tiles as ocean.

one question i need answered though is, is their any food in the game that doesn't spoil or rot if left outside? i don't want my masons to travel halfway across the map to do a little work, then travel back for food and drink if i can just bring it to them. i'm pretty sure alcohol doesn't spoil if left outside but i'm not sure.

also, can the water level of the ocean get any higher? i have a mechanical moat that uses a screwpump and a windmill to pump water out of the ocean, through my moat, then back into the ocean. i heard that screwpumps spontaneously create water when pumping, and i don't want the water level rising slowly because of it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »

screw pumps do not spontaneously create water

supposedly u bends do create water however
not sure if its down like a normal u, a flat u or an upward u but still....

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:06:12 pm »

An upward U would require a downward U in order to be filled by a pump.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »

Just realized something, You cannot build closer than 5 tiles from the edge. well, at least i cant.
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 04:25:52 pm »

Just realized something, You cannot build closer than 5 tiles from the edge. well, at least i cant.

Magma and drawbridges my friend. Magma and drawbridges.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »

correction, you can't build buildings closer than five tiles from the edge. floor tiles are exempt from this and you can build them right up to the edge..

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 04:27:21 pm »

I think all food rots eventually if left outside. Haven't extensively tested or anything, though.

I'm pretty sure oceans magically absorb all water dumped into them, just like aquifers, brooks and others.

I thought the edge build distance was just one tile, but you should probably trust your own tests more. Maybe it's been changed recently or something. Or was it the edge dig distance?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 04:32:37 pm »

I think all food rots eventually if left outside. Haven't extensively tested or anything, though.

I'm pretty sure oceans magically absorb all water dumped into them, just like aquifers, brooks and others.

I thought the edge build distance was just one tile, but you should probably trust your own tests more. Maybe it's been changed recently or something. Or was it the edge dig distance?
Booze is booze, not food!  >:(
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2 3 4