Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extra parameter for the site finder  (Read 1097 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Extra parameter for the site finder
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:43:21 pm »

So I'm thinking for the site finder... for some of the values, wouldn't it be more useful to have a permissible range instead of a single value? like instead of Evil being N/A, low, medium, or high, it would have a lowest permissible value and a highest permissible value. So that you could do, for three examples...

Evil  High:High          for it to insist that high have high evilness
Evil  N/A:Medium       don't care how evil, just not high
Evil  N/A:N/A            evilness or not evilness doesn't matter at all

And also it would be cool to have a feature that includes ANY magma... it kills me to have to try twice, once for magma pipes and once for magma pools...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:49:51 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Extra parameter for the site finder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:22:55 pm »

Agreed.  I like your max/min system, that seems like the simplest way of handling it.

However, depending how thoroughly the underground features get worked over, the magma pool/pipe dichotomy might become obsolete in the next version.  Likewise chasm/pit.

Come to think of it, good/evil areas are slated to get removed in the semi-near future too...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:07:53 am »

Embark site finder needs many, many changes, such as filtering for trees, sand, and removing the confounding "drainage/rainfall" bullshit and just flat-out saying "SWAMP", "JUNGLE", "GLACIER".

Also, multiple site references we can scroll through.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:20:10 am »

Returning ALL valid results rather then just the best would be great, especially if we could start examining it immediately while waiting for the rest of the search to complete.  I'm most in favor of Tree cover parameters as find them indispensables.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »

I guess the Evil / Good thing could be replaced with Sphered

Though... Lands heavily influences by their sphere arn't nessisarily more dangerous (though so far it seems to be the case)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:57:16 pm »

I agree that the site finder could use some work, the min-max idea is good, along with the clearer biome setting, as there is some overlap in what biomes can fall where. Being able to search for sand, trees, and plants would also be nice. Also giving a list of suitable, or partial matches for sites.

Though something that I would find nice would also being able to specify what kind of rock and soil layers are in the site. Would either need a way to select the layers, or have a small menu just for them. with options like, N/A, No, single biome, whole site. Also the distinction between whole site, or single biome could also apply to aquifers. I know I would use it as I like having Gabro in my sites, and I have seen others that really dislike some layers.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »

Agreed on magma pool/pipe.  I'll also add river/undergroundriver/undergroundpool, and undergroundriver/undergroundpool.

Oh yeah, and make it stop the first time it finds a perfect match.  Painful to wait while it steps through the rest of the map.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:03 pm »

Something I've been thinking of also, maybe have a priority system included, so that someone who wants an underground water source and magma can say that the magma is required, but the water isn't as important, or vice versa.  So they might end up having the magma at highest priority and the water at secondary priority, or something.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

I support the idea of returning multiple results that can be navigated, or at the very least being able to "reject" a site so that the same site undesirable doesn't keep coming up after changing the parameters.  This might be easily implemented by being able to "block out" the current site rectangle as invalid, like previous fortress sites are.
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:51 am »

I support the idea of returning multiple results that can be navigated, or at the very least being able to "reject" a site so that the same site undesirable doesn't keep coming up after changing the parameters.  This might be easily implemented by being able to "block out" the current site rectangle as invalid, like previous fortress sites are.
I think you can embark on a site, abandon it and the next time it will not "find" that site.... Not 100% sure though
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.