Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Free To Play  (Read 11923 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Free To Play
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 10:30:26 pm »

The OP played an Iron Realms mud, not all muds are like that. In IR games, you can only be a good character if you donate money, and furthermore all their games are based on the same shitty code-base, so if you played one, you played them all. It's a sad thing.
The Free-to-Play model is different from what you are thinking. That's "free". This is "Free-to-Play". It's two different things. There are a lot of nice free games out there, Utopia comes to mind, but Free-to-Play games are a sin against God.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:43 pm »

I don't think God gives a damn about F-T-P games, they're a sin against players.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 08:37:43 am »

It depends, a free to play game that is well made is fine, but many are just stupid in their methods of making you want to pay them.

I also recently started playing hobowars and it isn't that bad compared to some that I have seen.
Eh?
Eh!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 09:23:51 am »

Iron Realms games are very FTP.  One can get to level 20 or so before it becomes impossible to level up without buying "credits"  You can get a bit of training with 10 or 20 USD, but if you want weapons or anything decent, you have to spend more.  A level 100 character with top of the line gear could cost several thousand dollars.  It's an insidious system because you don't even realize how much you're spending.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 01:55:04 pm »

I was intrigued by games like Entropia Universe because it's not a one-way street...  You can put money into the game ($1 = 10Cred), and you can take money back out (10Cred = $1).  And it doesn't have to be money you put into the game in the first place.

Now, a single entrepreneur will have a hard time getting anywhere, due to the fact that you start with nothing.  A group of close-working individuals, however...    Will still start with nothing.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 02:08:28 pm »

The OP played an Iron Realms mud, not all muds are like that. In IR games, you can only be a good character if you donate money, and furthermore all their games are based on the same shitty code-base, so if you played one, you played them all. It's a sad thing.
The Free-to-Play model is different from what you are thinking. That's "free". This is "Free-to-Play". It's two different things. There are a lot of nice free games out there, Utopia comes to mind, but Free-to-Play games are a sin against God.
I didn't think or mention any models. I only stated IR games are sad. Toribash is an awesome FTP game. You only pay for awesomeness if you want to, doesn't affect gameplay.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 09:54:33 pm »

Heeh heh. I remember hobowars. I once changed my name to something with alt+numpad symbols, and then I forgot it.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 09:55:43 pm »

Toribash is awesome for about an hour.  Then you realize that unless you're really good, you spend more time watching people fight than actually fighting.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2008, 12:31:50 am »

I was never able to make any sort of attack where I didn't manage to fall over.  I once did a high flying kick that completely missed the motionless dummy that was standing in front of me, and instead threw myself into a powerful bodyslam that won the match for the dummy.

And then there was the time I attempted a backflip-kick, where I somehow ended up bouncing away into the distance.  I assume that must have looked interesting for the dummy, who later fell over of its own accord.

And then there was the time I grappled with the blighter...  Ah yes, that was fun.  In an attempt to crush the damn thing, I ended up headbutting myself with a lifeless and motionless practice dummy. I almost caused more damage to myself than I did to him, but I was able to pull through in the end.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:10 am »

I'm fairly proficient against the dummy, but I doubt I would last against a good player. For example my usual "flight of the butterfly" opening is very easy to counter.

Btw, Toribash reminds me heavily of samurai battles. One good hit usually ends the match.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 11:19:21 am »

The dummy is fun for playing with mods.  I usually fight myself by controlling the dummy too.  In the lightsaber mod I did the thing from 300 when he cuts the guy's leg off and sends him into a backflip.

A much less spectacular one was in the Twinsword mod multiplayer where I grazed the guy's arm and just fell over while he tried to slash me.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »

I just got Toribash!  It's awesome!  I can rip off my opponent's head and beat them to death with it!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:15 pm »

I'm better against people... Dummies are evil. D:

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2008, 01:52:23 pm »

damn Toribash is pretty interesting

haveing fun with all the many different mods and hitting the dummy in the crotch is fun lol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2008, 02:46:18 pm »

I find it fun playing the Giant vs Small mod. If I had a bow, I'd start every match with a "Hey Legolas, take down that elephant!". :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4