Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rakustlaz, Fearers of Orcs  (Read 2037 times)

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rakustlaz, Fearers of Orcs
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:01:04 pm »

9 Dwarves, 1500 Points worth of supplies, and Hordes of Orcs at the door...

Yes, I'm about to try my hand at a Fortress story, featuring Rysith's Orcs. This may become a Sucession Fortress, if things go well. We've got some HFS for later, assuming we can survive the Orcs...

Diary of Aria Drumstake, Date Unknown:

Well, I suppose this is just punishment.

The King, angered by my early retreat from a battle with those Damn Orcs, decided that instead of being imprisoned, or put to death, I should be sent out to create and lead a new outpost. This is the area:

I have eight other dwarves with me. Checking my Citizen papers, I've found that my new "friends" include;

Sibrek, The Miner/Mason,

Obok, The Carpenter/Wood Cutter,

Eral, The Metalworker/Blacksmith,

Mosus, The Fisher,

Bembul, The Hunter,

Reg, The Farmer/Brewer/Cook,

Shorast, the Clothier/Leatherworker

And Kivish, The Hamerdwarf/Miner/Mason.
(I'm looking for names for these dwarves. Aria's keeping her name.)

Lucky for me, we should be able to stay alive, assuming Orcs don't attack soon. We've got enough supplies, that's for sure.

Those dogs will be helpful, as either emergency rations, or as a defense.
(Next post will show the fort's beginnings. Ideas are encouraged.)

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rakustlaz, Fearers of Orcs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:33 pm »

Wow, that is a huge map. Aren't you worried about lag?

In any case, may I please have Obok? Name him Martian please.

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:55:22 pm »

Eh, I'll be alright, at least until we get seiged. (I think Orcs come around 20 Dwarves or so..?) You can have Obok.

During a test, I got about 12 FPS, but that's while running a good few programs.

Oh man, Skeletal EVERYTHING. Trolls, Antmen, I think I may have seen a Giant Eagle, AND Demons 12 Z-Levels down?

We're going to have funn~

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 01:05:55 pm »

I lay claim to the grower/brewer/cook.

Name him Ragnar.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:47:11 pm »

(Alright Boksi, she's now named Ragnar, as Obok's name is now Martian. Funny how we have only one Male Dwarf, and it's the Woodcutter.

Anyway, I'd say it's a good time to begin this.)

-Diary of Aria Drumstake, 1st Granite, Early Spring:-

Fuck the King. Seriously. Fuck the King. If I had known that this was where I'd be sent, I'd have gladly been Imprisioned. Killed, even! There's not one living animal here! Just Undead creatures to the north!

Luckily, there's a brook not far to the east, so I guess we can farm. Or something like that.

I've told our Miners to dig into the Hill next to the wagon, and for our Woodcutter, who seems to insist we call him Martian, to fell a few trees nearby. If we can get some basic lodgings, we may just be able to make it through this. I also had an area dug out a level above. This will be where I stay. I figure that if I have to live here, I can at least stay in a nice, well furnished room.

-16th Granite, Early Spring-

Dammit! That Hunter almost got herself killed. She wandered off to the lake, and thought she could challenge the lake-dwellers. I told that if she didn't get back here NOW, she'd be thrown into the Chasm. She came back, and the lake dwellers returned to their home. I'm considering draining that lake, just in case...

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »

I'll take the blacksmith, renamed Helaine

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »

Name the brewer/cook person Shork. She is perpetually drunk and manages to bring up alcohol in any and every conversation.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »

I'll take Kivish, call 'im Thuellai
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:50:32 pm »

Okay, Okay, annnd can't do that. Sorry Shoruske, Reg's been taken. You can have another unnamed Dwarf, if you wish.
May as well update now, regardless.

-Diary of Aria Drumstake, 7th Hematite, Early Summer-

Well, our Temporary base has been finished, sort of, and we're now working on furnishings. Even better, though, is what I found while walking across the brook: Hematite! Iron! Sweet, Sweet Iron!

I sent the Miners down there almost immediately after the Living Quarters were done. I'm sure Eral, er, Helaine will be happy, seeing as she can use that forge of hers now.

Now, even with things going fairly well, I'm worried. Near the lake, are some Cave Spiders, which means silk webs. If we manage to survive long enough for that Caravan to arrive, we could use that silk.

Problem is, the Lake residents. We can't exactly charge the lake, as the Skulls, as we've been calling them, there alone outnumber us too greatly. I'll have to ask the others for ideas...

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:59 pm »

I'll take Bembul renamed Flintes please..although I doubt she will last long in this area

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:59:35 pm »

Alright then. We've got three open Dwarves now.

-Diary of Aria Drumstake, 16th Galena, Late Summer

I know I've said it before, but fuck the King. Fuck him.

Turns out these profiles are wrong. Well, the names are anyway. I've been corrected by just about everyone about this, and it's becoming a huge pain.

On a lighter note, nobody's gone on Skull Mountain or to the lake for a while. Even better, and there was much more Hematite than we thought, which means we've got even more Iron for weapons and such!

I've also began work on our tombs. Mine will be... special, of course, and the others will be nice. I suppose we'll need more statues. We'll need that Trade Depot as well. Dwarves are coming. That means crafts will be needed, if we want to have Meat for much longer. We're running low, and there's no living creatures around, except for the occasional Snail or Slugman, which bear no meat.

I need some sleep. I've been holed up in this office, keeping stocks accurate all week.

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »

-Diary of Aria Drumstake, 12th Limestone, Early Autumn-

The Dwarven Traders arrived today, and we still had no crafts. I found out the former, when the Liaison, one Edem Girderwax, ran up to me and asked about a Trade Depot. I was busy building a bridge, to keep out any Unwanted company from getting INTO the unfinished Depot, so I told him to wait.

-22nd Limestone, Early Autumn-

Ugh, this guy won't stop following me. He keeps on talking about meetings. Can't he see that I'm busy?

Well, at least the Depot's done. We just have to get the wall and the road finished, and we'll be able to trade for more than just whatever they brought on Donkeys next year.

Assuming we survive Winter, that is.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »

I suggest using serrated discs in any weapon traps you might make.  Limb removal is the best way to handle Rysith's orcs.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 07:28:26 pm »

I'll take a random dwarf named Neo. He shall become a great marksdwarf
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »

I'll take a random dwarf named Neo. He shall become a great marksdwarf
Alright. I'll get you a Crossbow a bit later.

I suggest using serrated discs in any weapon traps you might make.  Limb removal is the best way to handle Rysith's orcs.
Noted. We'll need more Iron for that, though. No sand, sadly.

I had an update ready, but Neo died fighting a Kobold, and I had to restart. Sending me back to Summer. Dammit.
Pages: [1] 2