Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: dead space  (Read 4676 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
dead space
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:36:16 am »

anyone on here playing dead space ?

what was for you the scariest moment

for me, it probably was the first regenerator chasing you
I actually completely paniced.

I mean, there were events before that which were absolutely scream worthy, but when this regenerator chased me I was actually screaming OH FUCK OH FUCK out loud

at 3 AM
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dead space
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:25:57 am »

That godawful stuttering and the realization that my machine couldn't handle it with anything bigger than 640x480 resolution.

Though I have to say that I've heard a lot of good things about that game, even the couple of elitist gaming forums I visit seem to (mostly) approve it. Interestingly however "scary" hasn't usually been the first adjective used for describing Dead Space. In fact its reliance on one-time-only shocks seems to be one of the more common things to complain about.

Then again I haven't even really played the game myself, even though I'd like to give it a shot.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:22 am »

oh, the regenerator is scary and stays scary

it's not this OMGWTF screamer effect, but more the realisation that you will die if you do as much as stop even for a second
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:37:46 am »

I simply shot his legs out under him and laughed as he tried to crawl after me and couldn't regenerate as he still had 2 functional limbs. The game would have been alot scarier without the "everything infront of you dies or is severely crippled" line gun. And all i hear about the ripper is that it's overpowered as well.

However, the Leviathan boss battle is still epic. At chapter 8 right now.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:12:39 am »

oh, the regenerator is scary and stays scary

it's not this OMGWTF screamer effect, but more the realisation that you will die if you do as much as stop even for a second

I haven't played Dead Space, but Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth has several of those moments, one of them is timed so that if you miss even half a second on any of the things you have to do, you'll lose.  After a while, it stops being scary and starts being frustrating.
Shoes...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:25:16 am »

haha, line gun

I am playing with nothing but the starting weapon, and the flamethrower to clear up these swarms oflittle critters, because clling these swarms with the plasmacutter is a waste fo ammo.

in a survival horror, you aren't supposed to have a wide array of devastingly strong weapons.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 10:24:31 am »

I'm really interested in getting this game.  I absolutely love the idea of it, and all the previews I read (and, later, most of the reviews) made it sound really good.  But as of late, I'm having a hard time believing the honesty in a lot of reviewers.

Would you all recommend this as a purchase?  If so, why?  Generic yes's are okay and all, but what about this game (other than the really awesome Strategic Dismemberment) makes it stand out as a Must Buy? 

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:44:50 am »

MASSIVE SPOILER:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought it was a nice touch.
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 10:54:09 am »

I have, it's a decent game, but I have to agree with Yahtzee for most part.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:59:34 am »

I only recommend it if you are a person that WANTS to be scared. If you are bad at picking up a mood, it will not be very scary for you.

do not play it when the sun is still up, preferably in a very cold room.
and of course, always play on hard mode.
On normal difficulty, you will have ammo galore, and that makes things too easy.

It will still be very scary with enough ammo, but it gets absolutely brain terror when you suddenly see the ammo counter of your weapon flashing red

the strategic dismemberment is a nice touch when fighting a lot of enemies at once, because if you can't take your time to aim properly, you will soon find yourself paniking, reloading, and getting slashed to pieces

the problem is once your weapon is strong enough to take a limb with just one shot, taking out single enemies becomes very easy

good thing that just about then, you will get some enemies thrown at you that will not go down quite that easily

the way they integrated the HUD in a way that is absolutely immersive is very nice, but only a minor addition to the mood
the best part of the mood comes from the music and the background noises

the music is specificaly designed to totaly fuck you up.

sometimes, the music will get really tense, and you will be extremely on your toes, only to find that there is absolutely nothing
in other parts, you just killed an enemy, and the battle music fades out. You relax and go over to collect the loot, when suddenly from somewhere you haven't seen it, you get attacked.
Do not trust the battle-music in this game. It starts when Isaac can see a monster, and ends when he can't see any monsters remaining. It's really a shock when you just killed a whole bunch of those slashers in close quarters, have only a small bit of health left, and all of the sudden, bam, there is a jumber somewhere behind you.

the array of enemies is really good and balanced to what your strength is estimated to be.

At first, you only have these slasher things, which soon will be too easy for you to be continously scared of them, as they are fragile and big targets.
Then you get the jumpers and the babies, which are brutaly agile, and especially the jumpers are bad targets, as they tend to get into close quarters with you really quickly. The babies usually trigger my panick buttons, because they have a ranged attack, and if not taken care of quickly, you will lose sight of them and get hit easily.

the real mean enemies kick in once you meet these things that look like tents made of flesh.They themselves are not very problematic, but they revive corpses and turn them into a new brutal kind of slasher, and these things are FAST AS FUCK. after my first encounter with these flesh tent things, I habitually dispose of/ destroy all corpses I find, just to make sure that if I ever get back to this area and one of these flesh tents shows up I won't be swarmed.

and of course, quite a few other really mean enemies, but I guess I shouldn't spoil all of them to you.

Just make sure you destroy corpses

really, I mean it, clean up.

also, don't listen to Yahtzee before playing the game yourself

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:53 am »

I own the game and finished it.

It's not scary after the first two BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA. It's predictable and at best, it manages to make you nervous because of the stupid situations it puts you in.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 11:22:23 am »

The game looks good, but as I heard it's quite short.  :-X

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 12:23:21 pm »

MASSIVE SPOILER:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought it was a nice touch.

Wasn't that made rather obvious during the intro? "Make us whole again"
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 12:54:28 pm »

System Shock 2 still holds the trophy for me. Monster in the closet just isn't scary to me. It has to be a continual repulsive presence.
Whenever I heard worms, I'd unconsciously lift my feet off the floor.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:31:37 pm »

yup, system shock 2 got it down ;) I can hardly imagine there are people out there, that still can make stuff as great as that one.

Although... the first go at "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" had me pretty scared, too. It loses a lot of that after you finish it, but boy, the first try was really scary. I absolutely enjoyed how you sometimes didn't encounter a single enemy for half an hour in those underground labs... only scary noises and then suddenly a friggin mutant you see for the first time.

Or when I went through that underground tunnel to agropom and there was this deformed body, just like the ones you see outside, half mutated, mostly leaned against some trees. And dead.

But this one... crap... breathing? Moving? Uhhh... that's not good.
*Fumbles out the silenced pistol*
But hey, if it breathes, chances are you can stop it from doing that.
*Caaaaarefully aims for the neck*
I mean, how bad can it be?
*Pulls the trigger two times in rapid succession*
OH SHI- It's going predator-style-camouflage mode and zig zags up to me, where it uncloaks.

I still remember how I panicked and pretty much emptied the MP5 AND the AK, aiming for that distortion of light.

Which was a noticeable event, since it took me quite some time to collect all that ammo, and just pumping it out with the trigger held down... it didn't feel right, because  I KNEW I would probably desperately need it later on when I arrived at agropom. But on the other hand... that cloaking monster was on the verge of making sure there was no "later on" for me.

Was really cool, playing a video game and watching myself feel real and actual panic, sacrificing all the stealth and caution I had kept for the last 20 minutes... I cannot describe how loud the gunfire actually felt in that situation. Not knowing what even greater horrors all that sound might lure over to me, and not even managing to care about it since all that mattered was avoiding my imminent death.

In the end I survived and the "greater horrors" were just a squad of rather mundane spetznaz. They had body armor which was lot better than mine. They had assault rifles, flashlights and even kevlar helmets.

All I had was my crappy silenced pistol and maybe 30 rounds, as well as the badly damaged cheapo-armor... but boy, I was glad to fight something I understood  ;D

When I played the game for the second time, I lured the soldiers to the bloodsucker and let them duke it out  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:47:41 pm by Puck »
Pages: [1] 2 3