Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Booze Preferences  (Read 1140 times)

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Booze Preferences
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:37:41 am »

While my dwarves had been subsisting happily off kitten meat, plump helmets, and fat roasts for years I got sick of seeing the "sick of drinking the same old booze" message so I decided to diversify. First I converted my 3x3 pigtail plot from creating ungodly impossible to store amounts of cloth to strictly brewing (I still have around 150 cloth from my first year of growing pigtails) and set them for brewing.

My brewer kept on making mostly plump helmet wine, occasionally making a barrel or two of ale and I didn't really care too much. But recently I managed to buy a handful of sun berries from some tree hugging hippies and after a while I have a big stockpile of seeds, and a nice little plot in the sun where I grow the things with a lovely trail of vomit showing the way like an ant marks its path to goods with pheromones.

Now I have a rather large stockpile of sunberries, plenty of barrels, and I constantly have to be brewing booze and yet Sunshine (which gives my already spoiled to death dwarves thoughts of decadent booze) is only like 1/20th of the stuff produced even thought the plump helmets and sunberries are directly next to eachother.

I was hoping the brewers would selectively use these to produce top notch booze and only fall back on plump helmets to keep the dwarves from getting sober (God forbid) But they don't! I have crap loads more wine than sunshine and it gets drunk really fast too!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze Preferences
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:42:18 am »

You should go to the z menu and forbid the brewing of plump helmets, at least for a while. This will force your brewers to use other things.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:59:25 am »

Yeah that's always an option I guess. I just wonder why my legendary brewer insists on using plump helmets to make the majority of booze when there are 3 other options available... pigtails, sunberries, and prickle berries (which I continue to manufacture since I believe there is a place in a true dwarves heart for cheap liquor... the values I think are prickle berry: about as low as you can get and awful swill, plump helmet: basic tipple for any dwarf, and sunberries: decadent aristocratic liquor)

The rarely seen ale falls somewhere in between I suppose because apparently dwarves don't like beer as it doesn't have enough alcohol in it for them.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 05:43:31 am »

Does drink value affect it's mood effects or is it just for trade value?

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:56 am »

Well, I don't know if it's just that my brewers just happened to get really good at making booze when I got the Sunshine, but I only saw "had a really good drink lately" etc., until I started making Sunshine and started getting the "enjoyed a truly decadent drink lately" message.

I know that dwarves base their happiness on the quality of their surroundings, such as sleeping on a bed in an engraved stone room is better than snoozing in the mud so I don't see how something as important as booze wouldn't affect them as far as quality goes. Especially considering the "sick of drinking the same old booze lately" was pretty much wiped out of all thoughts as soon as I began making Sunshine and turned "quite content" dwarves into "ecstatic"

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:09:17 am »

Gutter cruor :3
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 07:44:36 am »

You could also use some clever stockpiling to make sure most of your plump helmet wine stocks go into cooked meals. Dwarves don't mind eating reduced wine and pretending it's roast.