Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod request.  (Read 3202 times)

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod request.
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:30:19 am »

So i've gone the way of no traps and an army instead, its great fun but holy crap does it get boring! right now i sit there apon my huge stockpiles with everyone idling and my army covered in adamantine just waiting for a damn siege or anything to break the boredom. When a siege comes i send my 12 bowmen to the top of my 5 story tower of flying death and get my 20 hammer champions waiting to pour down the stairwell if any get through- they usually dont even make it to the damn entrance due to my marksmen slaughtering them.

So, i was thinking- man it would be friggin awesome if there was like antmen swarms or something like sieges but it happened constantly- and yes i did piss off the elves and the gobbos already started a war with the humans but they each sent one siege was repulsed then never came back. I'm begging you, give me demon hordes, give me ratmen hordes, give me zombie hordes! PLEASE GOD KILL MY FORTRESS! I dont want to do anything deliberately stupid like opening my walls or something i want a challenge not to just slaughter my dwarves, i want to fight an epic battle lose half my population then build up for it all over again.

I tried to attract more gobbos by turning alot of stone into adamantine with Dtil then paved my entire fortress with it and all my doors/buckets/barrels/bins while turning more stone into diamonds and encrusting everything yet this still doesnt change the fact that gobbos are a finite resource:(. I'm happy with all the current DF resources and i dont want more friggin useless caravans to build up huge stockpiles of booze/seeds/wood so mods like civ forge arent what i'm looking for(please document your new resources and what they can do), shit i just want numerous(endlessly renewbable) monsters to try and kill my dwarves is that to much to ask?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Mod request.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:44:21 am »

Orcs.

Get the orcs.

They show up way earlier than gobbos (when you qualify for a sheriff, in my own experience, but they might show up right at start from what others have been saying) and in way bigger numbers (my current 50-60 dwarves are looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 orcs parked outside the gate) and just one of them is tough enough to take out a Legendary Miner.

And they bring bowmen.

And they're ALWAYS at war, 'cause they don't have Can Speak, so half the guys who show up are legendary or elite because they've been fighting wars for the last fifty years.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:50:32 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26858.0

From this thread.

I'm sorely tempted to add more "bellicose" races like the Orcs in to see how horrible I can screw myself... perhaps even antmen, if applicable.

The main reason they're so terrifying is that they have [NO_PAIN] and [NO_FEAR], so most injuries and/or killing their comrades does absolutely nothing to them.

I'm still waiting for mine.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:54:14 am »

What's weird is despite having No Fear I got two of them to run away before...  After slaughtering the ENTIRETY of the 50-man siege.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 03:44:07 am »

Look around for the Better Goblins Mod by umiman.

Alternatively, you could change the raws for your wildlife to make them hyper aggressive and come in packs of ~80.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:47:54 pm »

Those orcs look very promising though i hope they keep coming, making a whole new world and fortress for this THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:30:12 pm »

They reproduce like rabbits, so no worries there - I got at least one siege a year for quite a while.  Sometimes two in the same year.

~LegacyCWAL

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 05:39:29 am »

I added in the orcs but even with them its so goddamn boring! is there any other type of monster that i can add? i mean the caravans are pretty much not needed after a few planned runs and an ambush of 12 gobbos that run away when they lose 5 really doesnt constitute a threat, even the orcs havent shown their heads again after a single siege. I would love kobolds to act like warhammers skaven where they build up to huge numbers then assault or just added in more monster civs. I have now banned all traps except for cage traps and even then they are purely for entertainment purposes and i now completely rely apon my military which is absurdly effective even against sieges, i refuse to retard the game with a ban on defenses and weapon types- 9 lines of traps is to far but a tower filled with marksdwarves is completely acceptable.

I even went through the trouble of making a floodgate maze of death to the magma pipe hahaha trap some fire imps and magma men then lure an entire ambush into there then just flip the levers and enjoy the slaughter. I cant wait to lure an entire siege into my soon to be entire Z level maze, i hope to catch some mega beasts and have a constant population fighting and dieing in the tunnels with eventual forays into there with my melee army haha. I have this awesome transfer system where theres an open route to lure them into the tunnels then when i close it off they go into another airlock type door where they are transfered to the rest of the maze, a bonus is this is also my immigrant tunnel for when the main entrance is being sieged so nobles could be accidently lead into the fighting tunnels.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »

I added in the orcs but even with them its so goddamn boring!

One of the issues is that a mature DF fort is pretty much invulnerable, barring user error, since a multi-legendary soldier with quality gear can take on a huge number of unskilled, under equipped enemies. Given the number of useless immigrants you get, coupled with moods, and you normally have squads of 20 such dwarves by the "endgame". The pathfinding issues and your magma maze and such just add to that: a device that consistently redirects sieges into magma isn't going to be defeated by any of the races in there, unless we may everyone fireproof. So the solution is to prevent the endgame from happening smoothly (since you can normally get all of that ready by 80 pop when the goblins come). Try this:

Go into the orc entity file, and change PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION and PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION to 1 (rather than the 2 that they are now) and add [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING] and [ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]

And regenerate the world. If you wanted to, you could also increase the BIOME_SUPPORT numbers to three each, which would encourage them to conquer territory in world gen rather than just killing everyone on it, as they do now.

That should get you more sieges much earlier, and make it more difficult to get to the end-game invulnerability. Or, it will slaughter your 7 starting dwarves in the autumn of your first year, that's possible too.

Or, if you were really bored, you could copy the orc entity entry and change the [CREATURE:] tag to have the demon/megabeast of your choice (so, [CREATURE:TITAN], for example). Or, do that several times, and then hope that a dwarven civ survives worldgen.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:19:26 pm »

I'd be happy with just constant sieges because i always ensure theres a way into my fortress during sieges and just put my army in that hole and watch the fun. Right now its pretty much 1 siege which gets slaughtered then like 3 years of quiet leaving me with nothing to do but expand my towers and encrust everything with random items.

I'm really horrible with code, sure i can figure it out but i'm more likely to forget a space or something then screw everything up- is there any monster packs? i would love to have a 70 civ limit and have upwards of 12 hostile civs like orcs because trading is boring as hell when you could simply have a siege arrive every season.

A_Big_Bear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:08:03 pm »

You ask for Demons, you get size 12, faster than Elves, fire breathing devils. (Also tell me how it works)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Their creature profile.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:36:11 pm by A_Big_Bear »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:18 pm »

^^^ Pretty sure the entity types are hardcoded and "DEVIL" isn't one of them.  You might be able to add another [ENTITY:EVIL], though.

VVV oops.  My bad.  I figured that token controlled biome preferences or whatever, but it looks like START_BIOME does instead.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:18:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:15:14 pm »

Nah, I've got all sorts of ENTITY types - HORDE, PLAINS, etc.

~LegacyCWAL

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

You ask for Demons, you get size 12, faster than Elves, fire breathing devils. (Also tell me how it works)
-snip-

Take out the [INTELLIGENT] tag and replace it with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN], so they will always be at war with everyone. DF civs are remarkably reluctant to go to war with each other otherwise.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:52 am »

Creating a world atm will tell you how it gos- though i've never dealt with fire breathing hehe fire is a major pain, if anything these will make a great maze addition.
Pages: [1] 2