Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cthulhu has been struck down.  (Read 6960 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu has been struck down.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

The damage done to Origin studios and the Ultima series should never be forgotten.  Grabbed right before its conclusion and shattered.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

I can't believe people even remember Spore.  Has a game delayed and delayed like this ever turned out well?  Half-Life 2 gets pushed back for years and we get a polished rail-shooter.  Maybe Duke Nukem Forever will be a pac man clone.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Wasn't Spore originally set for 2005/2006? What the hell could they be doing? Unless the scrapped the project twice and started over again...

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

Im going to be very technical about this, but spore was never given a for sure release date until recently and that release date hasn't been changed.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

I remember there was a story written by some guy EA had gotten to make Dungeon Keeper 3, from what I hear it was going to be a drasticly different game with three sides all of which you could play one of which was the demons, then to top it all off it was going to take place topside...

Sounds horrible doesn't it?  :(

Maybe it was for the best that it was cancelled due to the release of the PS2.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pnx:
<STRONG>I remember there was a story written by some guy EA had gotten to make Dungeon Keeper 3, from what I hear it was going to be a drasticly different game with three sides all of which you could play one of which was the demons, then to top it all off it was going to take place topside...

Sounds horrible doesn't it?   :(

Maybe it was for the best that it was cancelled due to the release of the PS2.</STRONG>

They were going to scrap the whole "Dropping your creatures makes them stunned" thing, and the game would have been about one hundred times better than DK2 just because of that.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

Creatures were stunned for a very good reason.  If they landed without any penalty, they'd be given an insane mobility because you could just drop them off at any and every fight that was going on in your area.  The way it is now, you have to plan things out a little bit so that your minions are on their feet when they get around to fighting the enemy.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Creatures were stunned for a very good reason.  If they landed without any penalty, they'd be given an insane mobility because you could just drop them off at any and every fight that was going on in your area.  The way it is now, you have to plan things out a little bit so that your minions are on their feet when they get around to fighting the enemy.</STRONG>

I agree that it's a good feature.  It helps to differentiate the game from an ordinary RTS where lightning-fast hands are the name of the game.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

If you folks don't mind me moving the topic back to Spore for juuuust a second, Penny Arcade linked to this article:  http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52547

Excessively aggressive copy protection. Yea, or nay?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>If you folks don't mind me moving the topic back to Spore for juuuust a second, Penny Arcade linked to this article:  http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52547

Excessively aggressive copy protection. Yea, or nay?</STRONG>

Linked to your article, and immediately noticed this article off to the side. Apparently they thought so, too.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

**** nay!

I've had it up to me blood washed beard with this "cöpy prötekshun" bull****ing!

It violates the law, the spirit of the law, the K.I.S.S principle and atleast a dozen other citizen privilegues I can't be bothered to dig out.

I for one am not shelling out 400+ SEK plus taxes for what is basically vapourware.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

Remember those ancient games, the Sims and the Sims 2? Remember all those stupid bugs getting in the way? Well, with Spore, Will Wright doesn't want to have to make patches. He wants Spore to be bug free, ironed clean. But SOME people think he and his team are slacking. SOME people have no patience....but 3 years!:?!?!?!   :mad:   :mad:   :mad:

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Oh, that's good news, Imp'. Such frequent validation is crazy. The makers of RPG Maker XP did that with their program, too, probably due to the vast number of people who pirate the program. People still pirated it, but I imagine it sucked for anyone who actually bought the thing.

I'm most concerned that it's not going to be anything like people imagine. It seems to have changed a lot from the 45-minuteish video I saw several years ago. I think it was a developer's conference, or some such.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I'm most concerned that it's not going to be anything like people imagine. It seems to have changed a lot from the 45-minuteish video I saw several years ago. I think it was a developer's conference, or some such.</STRONG>

It does seem a little too... cutesy for my tastes.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

I'm hoping the flexibility will allow one to get away from that.

I bet you all of the dollars that the cuteness is due to EA's desire for more sales.  Broaden the audience, you know.

Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3