Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 141

Author Topic: Elona: Roguelike.  (Read 484110 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Elona: Roguelike.
« Reply #1995 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:01 am »

I just picked this up again, too.  Got myself from level 2 to level 6 yesterday being North Tyris' mailman.

The fountains and mutations have been unnaturally kind to me this game.  One fountain gave me the +CHA and +PER mutations in a row, and NOTHING BAD before drying up - and I think I've only scummed once to avoid a crappy dream mutation, and once for a curse.

Decided to go the skillmonkey-with-scythe and claymore-wielding-deathloli route again, because I wasn't sure what else I could take.  I've managed to get some kills in so far.  Also, I got a named bow really early via salary, and later I bought some sweet arrows off a wandering merchant for it for probably <1000 gp.

The robber's den quest was kind of stupid.  I spent most of it trying to open the damn door into the place, while my deathloli had spawned inside the place.  When I finally got in there there only were the two high-level guys and maybe one of the regular thieves left.

Is there a way to see your pet's stats that DON'T involve that informer guy 10K gold?  Because really, that's just ridiculous.  Like, a textfile in the Elona folders or something.

I guess I could just pay him and reset my game, but that's lame.

Also, NPCs sometimes get drunk on their own, so you might've run into her after she liquored up.  You can whore yourself out to anyone when they're drunk, and provided they don't sober up or you get too tired or otherwise aren't interrupted, you get some of their money, some CHA training, -1 karma, and a chance to get sick, which saps your stats or something.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

I've actually had them become sober half-way through, and just keep going... like the energizer bunny!
Nom nom nom

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:04 pm »

Really?  I've been trying it out this playthrough, and every time the booze wears off they go "WHO'S THIS GIRL I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH HER EVER", and it aborts.  :\

Actually, I think one of 'em called me a boy once.  In retrospect I should've slipped him some rotted food or something.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:31 pm »

I need to start playing this again. See how long I can make a character that does nothing but protitute from town to town last. Any how powerful I can make her. Perhaps tonight.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:35 pm »

A gene machine will let you see your loli's stats, just combine with something else properly. FAR cheaper at 1000 bucks a throw from the slave trader.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »

Oh yeah.  I still need to do that quest, but neither me nor my loli are very good in the dungeons yet.  I'm pretty sure kobolds can still kill us easily enough - I'll have to leave the loli back at home, or else she'll kill everything before I can catch 'em, though.

Stuff from the slave trader won't screw up stats or anything, right?  I know cats or horses or whatever will add an extra limb and end up blowing the loli's speed, but I'm not too sure about how stats are affected.

Hmm~ Regarding Gene Engineering,  I also want to teach her Greater Evasion, Eye of Mind, and Anatomy, so she'll be more dangerous and maybe leave corpses more, right?  So that'd be a Bat, a Hand or Goblin, and... I guess a Rat or an Eye, right?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:23 pm »

Yes, you'll gain parts, but if your just checking, you can buy a quick slave and use that. I think the cheapest are like 700ish. Not sure on the actual splicing part though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 20, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

Just picked this up. I can't stop playing!

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

I found out a while ago that you basically hack the game with an old little beauty called Cheatfinder, which lets you alter and freeze values in a program's memory(if done wrong, this causes more FUN than Windows can take).
Most roguelikes use too complex a system normally(so far, it hasn't worked for Nethack or ADOM), but it works here. Infinite gold, platinum, and skill points. Now there's just no point in playing! ;D

Still haven't figured out where the PCs stats are...
And yes, it is quite a bit more enjoyable playing normally than blatantly cheating.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 20, 2010, 02:28:08 pm »

There is a tool on the elona wiki, which lets you open and modify the save files, completely.

http://elona.squares.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2400&start=90
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:37:12 pm by beorn080 »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »

...and the thread is revived once again!

Yeah, I used cheatengine to freeze the platinum coins when the quests got too tedious and i needed too many coins to keep the stats up.
It's somewhat easy to find hard values but somewhat harder when there is no visible numbers.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 20, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »

I really wanna take the effort to learn this but just getting the keys mapped in my head is complex
Thank you based dwarf.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 20, 2010, 07:53:49 pm »

The z key is your friend.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 20, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »

There are very few games, that sadly overall ignore the mouse and force then to learn lots of key shortcut, that are good enough to keep me trying to learn them.

Elona, like Dwarf Fortress, is really one of those very few worthy of not abandoning in front of the key listing or dodgy interface.

Can't stop laughing each time i read the log of what is happening, more than its specific gameplay mechanics, i think the humour approach is really setting Elona differently from usual rogue games.

Tough, the lack of perma-death, but giving you instead some malus, like loss of some good hard earned items or money, is a pleasant change too as it does not frustrate you when you begin to be attached to your character, but forces you to remain cautious at any time due to what you will lose with a death.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 20, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »

Is there a page with a help guide for the key mapping having a key map in front of me is how I learned DF
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 141