Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game  (Read 17848 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 11:22:30 am »

There's one thing, though. As I comprehend the rules, the traits of the faction belong to their prime sphere of influence. So if your prime sphere is Industry, "Stealth" won't cover your military actions. It will be, however, very helpful, if you want to produce and give somebody a bunch of tanks and you want no one to know about it.

It would be good if Servant Corps clarified this, because I'm not really sure how does it mean to work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 01:20:19 pm »

Pnx: Cool faction, but a comment.  Lunda Norte is thick jungle without much settlement - Bengo, Bengulam and the other coastal areas seem to be where any developed industry would be.  Not to mention I kind of claimed Lunda Norte already, so we'd be at least in competition from the start.

Nice addition with the zeppelins by the way.  Nothing says "alternate history" quite like airships.  I intend to make good on this.

What's "victor's guilt"? Google isn't giving me anything about that.

"Victor's guilt" is what you could call the wave of colony releases that went through Europe after WWII.  The allies had just fought the biggest war for 'freedom' in history, and Britain was pointedly reminded that it still claimed Imperial rule over a good chunk of Africa and sub-continental Asia.  Economics had a lot to do with it as well, but the European colonies that still existed were mostly released as independent countries en masse right after the war.  Many with no lead up or assistance, creating the giant clusterfuck that Africa turned into.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »

There's one thing, though. As I comprehend the rules, the traits of the faction belong to their prime sphere of influence. So if your prime sphere is Industry, "Stealth" won't cover your military actions. It will be, however, very helpful, if you want to produce and give somebody a bunch of tanks and you want no one to know about it.

It would be good if Servant Corps clarified this, because I'm not really sure how does it mean to work.

That seems the logical way for things to go if you ask me.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 10:12:02 pm »

That makes the most logical sense, so that's how I go about doing it. Basically, anything sneaky=stealth.

Anyway, sorry for not typing much, too much homework and stress on my mind. I'll type up something more coherent ASAP later on.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 04:22:02 pm »

Hmmm so it would probably be more realistic to grab a piece of land on the sea, I pretty much grabbed a random piece and came up with a faction afterwards. I'll go back and edit it.

EDIT: Hehehe I just realized Aqizzar picked Lunda Norte anyway, I think I'll go with Benguela, seems like a fairly good place for a decent industry to have occurred. Might have to make some changes to the background of my faction too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:56:58 pm by Pnx »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »

I'm going to generate the USA and German NPCs, honest, but I'm busy with schoolwork right now, so this is just a bump asking for new members.

Also, just for fluff reasons, any territory not owned by any Factions are considered to either be under the rule of local tribes or the Portugese Colonial Forces. You can easily control those territories without a fight if you are have a good relations with whomever owns the area.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2008, 08:53:59 pm »

I know I crapped out on running a forum game, but I can't wait to see it get started.  I love the originality of it.

For that matter, why isn't anyone jumping up to be the Allies or Nazis?  What, are you all waiting for a cooler concept to come along?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 02:38:06 am »

[Place Russian Reversal here]
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 02:54:03 pm »

Spoiler: Nazi Germany (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: United States (click to show/hide)

As you can see, these are two Character Sheets. If anyone wishes to claim either the US or Germany, they can draw up their own character sheet, otherwise, if they wish to claim the US or Germany during gameplay, then...well...they have to stick with this character sheet, which isn't very well...ahem...designed. They are very...blunt.

Players, tell me if these character sheets are alright? If so, I may think about adding some background.

EDIT: I know that some Nazis aren't religious or subscribe instead to Aryan mythology, but I placed Catholic Church as their skill because of Nazis' alliance with Italy, and a belief that if Nazi Germany survived World War II, the Pope would likely take up a pro-Mussolini (and hence, pro-Fascism) stance.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:08:16 pm by Servant Corps »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 04:08:04 pm »

Yeah, from the way you've described it, the Kreisau are much bigger on the "efficient world domination" side of Nazism than the "Teutonic purity" side.  Starting to think I should have taken them myself, I've got a lot of ideas on how a 1950s Axis would work.

Interesting question, if the Allied invasion of Europe was a complete flop and Eisenhower resigned, who's the President now?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »

Interesting question, if the Allied invasion of Europe was a complete flop and Eisenhower resigned, who's the President now?

Good question. The Democrats surely would lose power after the war, replaced by a more hawkish (but still pretty liberal) Republican candinate. Since the US is an NPC, I'll rule that President Thomas E. Dewey would be in the middle of his second term, due to expire in 1956. After that, though, I'm not sure who would be after him. I'll likely flip a coin if it is Democrat or Republican.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:42:50 pm by Servant Corps »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 08:16:20 pm »

The solution is simple. Any time the U.S. is NOT losing the war, they elect a Republican. >_>
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 05:46:12 pm »

As for Nazi Germany... is there any positive effect you can achieve with Academic: Reaction? Restraining one's own development certainly isn't a good idea and I can't find any other way to successfully apply censorship.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 07:10:59 pm »

As for Nazi Germany... is there any positive effect you can achieve with Academic: Reaction? Restraining one's own development certainly isn't a good idea and I can't find any other way to successfully apply censorship.

Partly for flavor reasons, partly to stop enemies, say, the USSR, from spreading properganda and more easily turning the citizens against Nazi Germany. Restricting freedom of speech is one way to keep a ruling elite in power.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 07:33:03 pm »

Partly for flavor reasons, partly to stop enemies, say, the USSR, from spreading properganda and more easily turning the citizens against Nazi Germany. Restricting freedom of speech is one way to keep a ruling elite in power.

Isn't that what Social: Reaction is about?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9