Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game  (Read 17847 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is just a post to test if there is interest in the concept of a Cold War battle between the USSR, USA, and Nazi Germany. Here are the rules and the backstory. If you are interested, just post laying a claim. Enough interest, and then we'll start.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)

There are two basic players, Superpowers (which are Species in E-Lite) and Factions (which are Entities in E-Lite).

Spoiler: Superpowers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Iiteum
"Remember the cardinal rule of Evolution: Anything is possible! If you can think of it as an action or a trait, go for it and I'll figure out a way to make it fit within the framework of the rules. Just be aware that I also set the difficulty by which tasks can be accomplished, as well as the costs of accomplishing them."

I accept applications for the superpowers of USA, USSR, and Germany, as well as unlimited applications for Angolan Factions. You do not need to know about Angola in order to make up your Factions, you can just make stuff up, and I'll deal with it.

EDIT: Fixed the borked tags, and fixed an error in the rules.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:32:28 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »

YES!  First in!  I call Germany right the fuck now!

Hang on, wut?  Let me read this more...

Why did you just copy Iituem's E-Lite rules for factions?  Maybe some clarification for the different setting?

EDIT:  Well, with the tag's all busted up, I'm not quite sure what parts to pay attention to.  Clarification: Do we call Superpowers?  Or factions beholden to Superpowers?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:11:40 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:59 pm »

Since I'm a Species in another E-Lite, I'm totally a Faction! I'm totally helping out Germany with a Military War Factory!
Ne'er mind. I'm too confused.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:00:07 pm by webadict »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:02 pm »

YES!  First in!  I call Germany right the fuck now!

Hang on, wut?  Let me read this more...

Why did you just copy Iituem's E-Lite rules for factions?  Maybe some clarification for the different setting?

EDIT:  Well, with the tag's all busted up, I'm not quite sure what parts to pay attention to.  Clarification: Do we call Superpowers?  Or factions beholden to Superpowers?

Okay, so far as I can tell, there are three Superpowers. They are equivalent to Species in E-Lite. Each faction would thereby be an Entity equivalent, which is that all of the Factions powers come from the Superpowers.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:27:12 pm »

Okay, so far as I can tell, there are three Superpowers. They are equivalent to Species in E-Lite. Each faction would thereby be an Entity equivalent, which is that all of the Factions powers come from the Superpowers.

While you are true about Species, the Factions are different from the Entity because they need much assistance of the Superpower, but they can also attempt to gain power by themselves, via the seizure of provinces and using Resource Points. So they are a little more indepedent, but in the end, Factions are Entities are basically the same thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:30:06 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:58:05 pm »

Suggestion: Knowing a bit about proxy-wars, I'd say 1 year is a better reflection of a turn, maybe half a year or even less.  Superpower funded pocket wars burn hot and fast, no civil war in the modern age has lasted more than a decade.  At 5 years each, it'd be the 21st century in 9 turns.

Because I really shouldn't commit myself to a lot of writing, I'll go with just a faction.  Do we pick our starting locations ourselves?  If so, Lunda Norte is the place to be.

Name: Afrikanische Solidaritätsvorderseite, Angolische Gruppe – ASVAG
Where the glad-handing Amis and Russian dogs go, the Iron Hand of Germany will follow to squeeze them out.  Dispatched to secure northern Angola is one of the Reich-Außenministerium's finest Afrikaans agents, a Die Spinne alumni known only as Oberst Eule.  Armed with a crack division of specially trained and equipped SS and a bottomless suitcase of Reichsmarks, his orders are to turn the jungles of Angola to a living hell for any foreigners trying to usurp the state before Germany can.

Alignment: Nazi Germany
Sphere: Military

Generation: 2
Though technically a covert operation, ASVAG can call on local Belgian support, and buy or hire whatever else it needs with it's funding.
Action: 2
Germany's Waffen-SS foreign action units strike hard and fast, using guile and special equipment.
Reaction: -
ASVAG relies on stealth to avoid enemies, and scatters to defend itself.
Power: 1
Armor: 1
Though well trained and armed, ASVAG is a principally infantry force, and small in size.  Their locally recruited units are rather ineffective.
Perception: 1
Newly deployed, ASVAG  is still getting the lay of the land, with assistance from Belgian law enforcement.
Stealth: 3
ASVAG's greatest strength is fading into the jungle, emerging only to pick apart foes at the best opportunity.
Range: - (1?)
With little mechanization or industrial support, any activity can only take place around the deployment area.  Obviously, this will change.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:23:02 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:58:56 pm »

I'd have USSR, please.

Food:
Farming (T1, 2)
Kolkhozes (T2, 1)

Population
Action:
Reaction: Civil Protection (T1, 1)
Power:
Armour: Civil Protection (T1, 1)
Perception:
Stealth:
Range:
Generation: Live Birth (T1, 2)

Military
Action: Fighting (T1, 4)
Reaction:
Power: Tanks (T1, 3)
Armour:
Perception: Scouting (T1, 1)
Stealth: Espionage (T1, 2)
Range: Logistics (T1, 1)
Generation: Conscription (T1, 5)

Academic
Action: Research (T1, 3)
Reaction:
Power:
Armour:
Perception: Intelligence (T1, 4)
Stealth: Intelligence (T1, 4)
Range:
Generation: Education (T1, 3)

Social
Action: Revolution (T1, 4)
Reaction: KGB (T1, 3)
Power:
Armour:
Perception: Police State (T1, 2)
Stealth:
Range:
Generation: CCCP (T1, 3)

Religious
Action:
Reaction: Atheism (T1, 1)
Power:
Armour:
Perception:
Stealth:
Range:
Generation:

(50 points... it's somewhat too few, but I tried as I could)

My question: which countries officially support which block? With Germany unconquered, I suppose a lot would change. It's not something very important, but it would be helpful when writing flavour posts.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 07:52:34 pm by Gantolandon »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:30:31 pm »

Suggestion: Knowing a bit about proxy-wars, I'd say 1 year is a better reflection of a turn, maybe half a year or even less.  Superpower funded pocket wars burn hot and fast, no civil war in the modern age has lasted more than a decade.  At 5 years each, it'd be the 21st century in 9 turns.
Good point. Changed it to each turn being 3-months

Do we pick our starting locations ourselves? 

Yeah sure. Less work for me.

My question: which countries officially support which block? With Germany unconquered, I suppose a lot would change. It's not something very important, but it would be helpful when writing flavour posts.

I haven't thought of that. My half-baked view, altough it is subject to change is as followed:

In Europe, Germany has an expanded empire and owns Austria, Beligum, Denmark, and Northern France, and has allies like Finland, Hungary, Vichy France, Spain, Portgual, and Fascist Italy. USSR owns the rest of Eastern Europe. Another proxy war is happening in China, between the Japanese puppet government, the Maoists, and the KMT.

In Africa, decolonization has not happened yet, altough it could happen based on the effects of this War. Congo is owned by Germany due to Germany's control over Beligum, while Zamibia and Zimbawae is under the rule of England (also an ally of USA). Zambia, to the east of Angola, is controlled by the UK, and South Africa (because of its control over Namiba, lies to the South of Angola) while indepedent, is offically still supportive of UK, altough it is sympatethic to Germany.
So, we got one German-allied Faction and one Superpower player (the USSR). I'm going to need to type up a sample turn to try and make the rules easier to understand soon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:37:09 pm by Servant Corps »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 10:42:52 am »

Bumping for activity.

Come on people, this is a cool idea.  I was planning to make something like it, don't discourage me.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »

This game is so confusing lol, I'll try to make a faction...I probably did this wrong, so feel free to correct.

Starting Area: Huambo
Name: UNITA
Alignment: United States
Sphere: Military

Generation: 1-Recruitment=UNITA propaganda secures many willing fighters. As of now, they lack the will to conscript citizens for fear of damaging relations.

Action: 2-Fanaticism=UNITA troops are brainwashed enough that they care little for casualties. Soldiers routinely execute their own poor commanders, and are rewarded if it was deemed necessary.

Reaction: 1-Power Base=UNITA makes a point of controlling resupply, rail and transportation networks, allowing for reinforcement and relief.

Power: 2-Black Market=Western and Eastern weapons regularly end up in the hands of UNITA soldiers, often obtained with American help.

Armor: 2-Light armor=UNITA has obsolete WW1 era light tanks and flatbed trucks, used more for propaganda and logistics than actual combat

Perception: 2-Local Connections=UNITA maintains excellent relations with native Angolans, and can count on their eyes and ears.

Stealth: 0
None=UNITA lacks any significant espionage branch

Range: 0
None=UNITA has immense difficulty with funding and logistics.

National Union for the Total Independence of Angola-dedicated to destroying Portuguese rule and avoiding becoming a puppet under Germany or Russia, UNITA is mostly comprised of farmers and rural workers. This alternate version is far less guerilla than the real world one, relying on overwhelming force, at least as much as they can manage with human wave attacks. Receives support from the United States, but in truth would rather see Angola completely free from foreign intrusion.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 05:59:34 pm »

My suggestion for players leading the factions: you may want to pick one not so closely connected with one of the superpowers - it will give you more possibilities to manoeuvre. And I don't write this because I'm jealous the other superpowers will have ardent supporters which I lack. Really! Believe me!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 06:34:03 pm »

So how might I sign up as a Faction?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:56 pm »

1. Think up one (from what Servant Corps wrote, anything's permitted that may have something to do in Angola).
2. Decide it's prime sphere of influence. A political party would be Social, a pack of guerillas - Military, a wealthy corporation - Economic. A raiding party of telepathic cats from Venus would be propably Psychic, but I don't advise them, as it would be easy for a superpower to employ more dogs.
3. Distribute 10 points into your primary sphere. You can also pick up some secondary spheres and employ them too (f. e. if your party is supported by some wealthy businessmen, you could add something to "Economic" too). Just don't bother with generation trait in your secondary spheres, as you can only produce units from your primary area of influence.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »

My suggestion for players leading the factions: you may want to pick one not so closely connected with one of the superpowers - it will give you more possibilities to manoeuvre. And I don't write this because I'm jealous the other superpowers will have ardent supporters which I lack. Really! Believe me!

I back this suggestion. Plus it would make the game more fun as well, with much more political paranoia.

Dwarmin: Perfect. Application accepted.

Pandarsenic: Aqizzar and Dwarmin provides great examples on how to make a faction.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 07:19:14 pm »

I'm making a Soviet-aligned "Political Party" more focused on Military action and installing its leader as Angola's dictator than political maneuvering. Sound good?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9