Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game  (Read 17843 times)

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »

Lol, amazingly not me.

(Refreshes page again, and again)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:45 pm »

Okay, here's my first turn.  It got longer and pointlesser than I expected.  The ones after this are sure to be shorter - this would have been even longer, but I have to get ready for work, and I got bored.  Just a lot of flavor set-up.

The money thing is just some logic for why a presumably important intelligence operation doesn't have unlimited support, and needs to drum up its own resources.

Beauftragter Friedmann had ceased mopping his brow once his handkerchief became moister than his head.  In the four days since he landed in Bakwanga, the equatorial summer had made even functioning all but impossible.  He caught what rest he could as the SdKfz 350 rumbled along forgotten roads and imaginary trails through the heart of the Congo, headed for some plantation the Afrikaaner guide assured him still existed.

For an administrative job, the assignment had sounded like a suicide mission.  Descend into the darkest African jungles to manage the finances of a guerrilla squad of independent Schutzstaffel.  His first message – inform the Spinne commander that the group would have to find its own funding for the time being.

At last the halftrack emerged from the jungle into civilized land, or so Friedmann was told.  To him it looked as overgrown as everywhere else in Africa, though he could tell Europeans had once lived here.  Antiquated military hardware lay strewn around the plantation between orchards and vineyards gone feral.  The guide motioned darkly to the crumbling Iberian villa dominating the clearing.  Inside, Friedmann saw nothing but furniture ruined by time and humidity.  Fearing he may have been subverted to the wrong location, he called out for people he was sure were not there.

From the shadows stepped two guards, swathed in gray overcoats completely inappropriate to the climate, pointing StG 52's at the intruder.  Caught speechless, Friedmann simply threw up his hands, presenting the party insignia all over his documents.  Without a word, the guards took him to an elevator, and the functionary descended even further.

Below, Friedmann stepped back into Germany.  Hardened soldiers and nervous secretaries milled about iron-clad halls more reminiscent of a ship than a manor.  With little explanation or inquiry, Friedmann found himself in an office at the very bottom of the bunker, staring across a table into absolute darkness.  Somewhere within, he could hear hoarse breathing from someone regarding him in turn.

Moments passed, and Friedmann resolved to end the apprehension.  “Oberst Eule, I presume?  I have been sent on behalf-”

“I know who you are and why you are here, Beauftragter,” the presence growled.  “I am quite familiar with the Reich-Außenministerium's operation.  You will find your duties waiting for you shortly.  But first, you have a message for me.  Deliver it.”

Friedmann had dreaded this for two weeks.  “Oberst, the party commission has... reconsidered the importance of its Angolan operations and... feels its resources are more needed elsewhere.”  He half expected a bullet in response, but nothing came.  “You are hereby instructed to appropriate local support for the ongoing mission, and are given full acting authority to do so.”

If the voice in the darkness was perturbed by the news, it gave no indication.  “Such could only be the case.  My forces have already begun acting in accordance.  Envoys have been sent to the Portuguese administrators in the area.  They are all governors under the rightful Axis power, and owe all necessary effort to the party's needs.  Some will need to be reminded of this, but it is little difficulty.”  Friedmann heard another sound from across the table, akin to chuckle but not so inspiring.  “Your task will be to communicate our needs to the national authorities.  Make very clear to them the imminent danger posed by the presence of American and Russian actors...”

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2008, 11:14:32 pm »

Actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anatoly Yang was not pleased.

He had worked hard to ascend the ranks of the KGB, ratting out friends and enemies alike to gain influence and power.

Now he was stuck with some backwater "political party" in Angola with piss resources, a base that had no air conditioning against the sweltering heat, and all the subtlety of a Siberian tiger on fire. And he had to help them place a dictator in control of the country.

"You're going to attack Cabinda, and you're going to do it with all the forces you have available," Anatoly repeated, his accent thick and his voice strained with rapidly dissipating patience, to the head of the People's Freedom Party. He couldn't even remember the puppet's name. Anatoly's bodyguards, AK-47s in hand, snickered.

"But we do not-"

"We have given you what you need," Anatoly yelled. He had to be getting this shit because he was half-Chinese. That was it. That must be why he got shit assignments. "If it's not sufficient, yes it is. Quit whining and do what we pay you for before we find a more competent group to back, hmm?" He turned around and strode out the door - excuse me, tent flap - and walked into his own small cabin. His bodyguards followed and stationed themselves outside. Anatoly was sure he'd be obeyed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:39:34 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:43 am »

Luandino Vieira nodded politely as the elder talked on. Inumerable bugs sounded outside in the twilight heat.

Among the the literate classes, his last three novels of freedom had been popular. He needed neither introduction, nor to share his convictions. The Elder supported him, believed in the cause before he had ever arrived.

After they had said good night, and bowed to each other, Vieira went to his campsite tucked into a gully on the outskirts of town. In the firelight, a wiry middle aged man was sitting down. He wore two pistols, and beside him were two rifles.

"Ola, Walter", Vieira said.

"Ola."

"This is the place. I have spoken with each of the elders and each has a personal reason to hate our oppressors. We will not find a better place to train our first soldiers."

"Tomorrow then?"

"Yes, begin inviting them tomorrow."

"I'm going to be picking carefully. The first officers in an army set it's behavior for the rest of it's life."

"Very well."

Actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2008, 12:24:10 pm »

Johnathan Gratiota stood on the balcony overlooking the city. Reconstruction was going well and the Lost Saints cathedral was rising taller by the day, he wished a few more of the trees were standing in the city, too many had died and it would be years before the replanted ones would grow to full size. His television which occupied the entire western wall was showing the ATC news channel, it's volume was low and the faint bubble of the news casters voice was faint in the background. He was quite proud of it, it was the largest color television ever made.

There was a knock on the door, he calmly said "Come in, Edward." Edward, his personal assistant waltzed in, his red tie starkly contrasting his tan pinstripe suit. "I have the reports you wanted sir," he said, head bobbing with every word. "Good tell me the good news," he said still staring out at the cathedral. "Well it appears the reconstruction efforts will proceed on schedule," Edward said, reading from his clipboard, "there have been one or two delays, the mines in the east have had some troubles from one of the local tribes, but otherwise all is well."
"Good, good" Johnathan sighed, then turned around "what is the bad news then?" Edward flicked through a few pages of his clipboard, made a thoughtful look and said, "Path of Logic has made it's first success and-" he cut off, realizing that his superior was no longer listening.
Johnathan walked over to the remote control and turned the sound up.
-and reports have begun filtering through, it is currently unknown where this disease has come from, but ATC medical officials are proclaiming that any and all attempts to control the spread have been made. Officials warn that this disease may spread through animals to humans.
The television cut to images of a village with bodies lying everywhere, an closeup image was shown of a bloated dead face covered with yellow blotches, then it showed images of people dressed all in white with gasmasks picking up bodies and moving them onto a fire.

"Up funding to the Path of Logic, and continue efforts to cultivate Huambo," he said. He didn't even bother to watch him leave, he just switched the television off and walked over to the balcony and looked at the Lost Saints cathedral again. This would prove interesting.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:44 pm »

Waiting on:
---USSR: Gantolandon 
---Dwarmin: UNITA.

If they take too long, I'll give them another turn before I turn them NPCs. They can give orders for both Turn 1 and Turn 2, and I'll retroactively apply their actions.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2008, 01:01:54 pm »

Sounds good. Can't wait for the next turn!

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »

Moscow, KGB Headquarters, 1955

It was a busy day in main headquarters of the Commitee for State Security. Telephones were ringing all the time. Thick dossiers were gotten out, their contents read and updated, then put down again. No clerk would dare to be caught off guard. The chairman rarely worked hard. but when he did, he required everybody to be as committed to work as him.

Currently he were speaking to the telephone.

"Yes, Comrade Chairman.", he spoke, "We have already mobilized most of the First Chief Directoriate. The operation is being prepared as you requested."

"Good.", said the voice in the receiver, "Do we have any supporters in Angola?"

"Of course", Ivan Alexandrovich Serov relaxed, "People's Freedom Party, I believe."

"Too few. I want to see a full scale revolution there. Proles should have already rioted. Were you asleep or what? Do you want Americans or Germans to walk into Angola?"

"No.", Serov tried not to lose his temper, "Their involvement is unfortunate, but we will win. When the workers riot, they..."

"Serov...", now the voice was bored and full of contempt, "Spare me your propaganda. You can't have a revolution with nazis and imperialists meddling there together. Especially when they team up."

"They won't."

"Good. I'll hurry the diplomats. Don't fuck this up.", the interlocutor slammed down the receiver.

Serov sighed. He had been leading the KGB only from about a year, and Khrushchev have given him stick thrice already. At least he was more predictable than his predecessor. Working for him would be a nightmare. Hell, it was a nightmare even with Beria on top and taking most of the blame.

"Kiryl!", he shouted, "Where is the dossier of this Yang! I want it on my desk. Now!"

--

Kalinin, Kirov-class cruiser, temporary hedquarters of Operation Drill's command, 1955

Pacific was calm this day. Anatoly Kressich liked to watch the silent waves. It helped him to concentrate.

He summarized his work this day. The agent provocateurs should already be in Angola, turning people against their government and church. Currently they were ordered to keep the low profile, only spreading the propaganda. But the moles worked hardly, too. Does a priest like to be with children a bit too much? Is a right-wing social worker eager to take bribes? Does a company run a sweatshop? Or better, a slave camp? And - the most important - are there any death camps on Angolan turf already? If not, any internment camp will do. It's everything that Kressich needed to launch a full-scale propaganda campaign against the Germany.

Some dossiers were to be copied and send to PFP high command. Red Army soldiers would be more fitting as saviors of the common worker, but orders were clear. Direct involvement at this point were strictly forbidden.

Launching a revolution was difficult those days...

--

A secret telegram to Thomas E. Dewey, president of the United States of America.

Mister President,

Our ideologies differ, but I hope you care about a common man as much as we do. That's why I turn to you with a plea.

The Angolans have suffered long enough. It is not a secret that their Portugal government is not more than a nazi puppet. It is also wide known that human rights, that both our countries cherish, are often broken by their taskmasters. As we observe, the Germans try to secure their dominion. Do we want to see the World War II atrocities happening again? The nazis blame Hitler's madness for them, but we both know that ruthlessness is an inherent trait of their government. The Polish, Czech, and Hungarian fate should be a sufficient proof. Our intelligence is also suspecting that de Gaulle's death was not an accident. Don't let friendly smiles of Kreisau Circle officials deceive you. Their so-called fuhrer's death hasn't changed anything.

You certainly see the necessity to nullify German influence in Angola. Both our intelligences can cooperate to reveal and eliminate their spies which have already begun their sinister mission. You can be suspicious of our motives, but both our countries can only benefit from our cooperation.

Yours sincerely,

Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:59:46 pm by Gantolandon »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32:30 pm »

Darwimum seems to be active as of Today at 05:37:51 AM, so I'll wait for him to make some orders.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »

Servant Corps, have I done everything I can for my turn? X_X
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »

The general rule seems to be three distinct actions.  At least it was in Evolution and E-Lite.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2008, 10:58:49 pm »

Ah, okay. Because I saw a lot of people only do one. I was like, "Huuuh?"
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2008, 11:57:31 pm »

The general rule seems to be three distinct actions.  At least it was in Evolution and E-Lite.

Yeah, that's correct. The less actions you do though, the more likely that the actions you did do get completed, but yeah, three distinct actions is the norm.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2008, 12:04:32 am »

Is this "Building stuff" an action? Or does it happen automatically?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2008, 01:09:07 am »

Building stuff is an action.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9