Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game  (Read 17846 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite: "Angolan Indepedence War", Alternate "Cold War" Game
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 07:43:07 pm »

Hope it is...

Name: People's Freedom Party
Alignment: Soviet
Sphere: Military
The People's Freedom Party is more of a military group than a political party and cares nothing for its people or for freedom. They wish to install a puppet dictator and while the USSR has been most responsive to this so far, anyone who will give them control is good in their eyes.

Action
Assault, 2 - The PFP can send its loyal, military-trained supporters to raid or assault its enemies and their bases or offices.

Reaction
Corrupt, glory-seeking bureaucracy, 1 - The cluttered, corrupt system of the PFP often impedes their reactions; however, in crucial times, everyone will hurry to pass information to their leader, hoping for a reward.

Power
Russian armaments, 2: The PFP has purchased a ridiculous number of AK-47s, RPGs, SVDs, and the like; they could arm far more people than they could effectively field.

Armour
Myopia, 0 - The PFP is severely lacking in regards to those strange, alien things known as "backup plans."

Perception
Suspect your Neighbor!, 1 - The PFP runs a propaganda campaign requesting that citizens report any suspicious activity. Of course, naming their campaign "Suspect your Neighbor!" doesn't help its credibility.

Stealth
Secondhand KGB Training, 1 - The PFP has enough training in stealth from the KGB to manage basic infiltration and espionage.

Range
Secondhand-Purchase Vehicles, 1 - The PFP has bought helicopters and cars and trained mechanics; despite near-constant maintenance, they are not yet willing to field their forces for a very long distance.

Generation
Propaganda, 2 - The PFP has a wide pool of willing supporters, but those who see through their propaganda are not impressed.

Edit: Does this work?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:09 pm »

Stealth
Secondhand KGB Training, 1 - The PFP has enough training in stealth from the KGB to manage basic infiltration and espionage.

Wow. I just realized I made a mistake in my writeup. There were no NKVD in 1955.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:55:17 pm »

Glad to help?

So, Premier, does your new supporter work well or did I screw up?  ;D
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »

So, Premier, does your new supporter work well or did I screw up?

Good work. Let's take over this puny country free the farmers and workers from the tyranny of imperialist scum.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 08:15:28 pm »

Updated my profile for fluff-itude.

S-Corp: What happens if no one claims a superpower?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 08:23:51 pm »

So, Premier, does your new supporter work well or did I screw up?

Good work. Let's take over this puny country free the farmers and workers from the tyranny of imperialist scum.

Exactly. Glory to the Premier, who shall make the working class slaves equal.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 08:24:02 pm »

S-Corp: What happens if no one claims a superpower?

I'll run them as an NPC if I have to. (But I'll hand them off to anyone do who want to claim them.) For me to run them as an NPC, I'll have to create their Character Sheet, of course.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »

I would've taken a Superpower but I hardly have the familiarity and understanding of this to play the PFP.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »

So, what happens to this now?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:13 pm »

I was bored and did some thinking about the setting.  Naturally, I've got a bunch of ideas, accounting for the setting as described with some extrapolation.  Warning: Long.

A wire went untapped, an informant went misplaced, and a transmission went unheard.  The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was the surprise Admiral Yamamoto hoped it would be, and three American aircraft carriers were rendered inoperable.  Denied the fulcrum of it's power in the Pacific, the American military battled the Japanese navy to a stalemate, it's great industrial advantage outmatched by Japanese preparation and courage.

Meanwhile, the strong personalities within Hitler's inner circle managed to usurp Der Furher's will, and convinced him that fighting across the English Channel, conquering the Algerian desert, saving Moussolini's butt in Greece, and invading Russia all at the same time would be problematic to say the least.  Instead, the Afrika Korps systematically ousted the beleaguered British contingent from Egypt and Palestine (the later with particular relish).

America was forced to commit more of it's economic strength to a still unsuccessful campaign against Japan, and was less able to aid Britain in tackling Germany.  Combined with the stronger German presence in Africa, a long-route invasion of Europe via the Mediterranean and Italy looked even harder.  After several ultimately ineffective attempts at landing a foothold on the continent, pressure got the better of judgment, and Allied command resolved to go for broke with a full scale invasion of northern France in mid-1943.  It was a bloody disaster.

Back in 1941, Operation Barbarossa proceeded right on (that is, off) schedule, and stalled on the Volga river and the gates of Moscow, before the largest counter-offensive in history steamrolled all the way back into Belarus.  Without the fruitless expenditures of the Battle of Berlin and defending against Operations Torch and Husky, a consolidated Nazi Germany was better able to defend itself.  Germany's saving grace was the elimination of Hitler.  No longer committed to his insane schemes, the Kreisau Circle redoubled the defenses of the Eastern Front, with all experimental development devoted to the one wonder weapon that might work.

On October 28, 1944, a German rocket plane dropped the world's first functional atomic bomb on the Russian forces advancing through Lvov, and changed the world.  Nazi Germany's sue for peace with the Allied forces finally had the weight it needed, and the Western front went silent.  America developed it's own nuclear explosive the next Spring, and resolved to frighten the Japanese into an armistice.  Japanese spies had learned of the plan, if not the weapon itself, and fired off their gift from a desperate Germany at the same battle, coincidentally launching the only nuclear exchange in history over the island of Palau on March 17, 1945.  Not knowing each other's full capabilities, the Pacific war quickly came to an unofficial halt.

The Allies scrambled to build a position for themselves in the new atomic world.  Left bankrupt with no victor's guilt, Britain tightened it's control of it's many remaining colonies, with so much American assistance they could hardly be called Britain's anymore.  The exhausted but vindicated Axis went to work fortifying itself against any possibility of a renewed assault.  Japan's conquest of eastern Asia slowed but did not stop, seeking any gains after the devastating war with America.  The Soviets fumed but accepted the obvious, and the advance across Europe turned to a consolidation.  It would be another five years before the Soviet Union could demonstrate it's own nuclear bomb, by which time any thought of reopened hostility would be suicide.

Spoiler: The World As Of 1955 (click to show/hide)
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 11:41:30 pm »

Pretty awesome. What about Mao and the PRC?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 12:09:22 am »

Pretty awesome. What about Mao and the PRC?

Limited interest and importance.  Presumably, Japan is still fighting them in that big white part of China.  It could be considered light red.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 12:23:32 am »

Ah, cool. I was thinking for a Soviet-aligned group, Chinese mercenaries might rock.

And for the US, the exiled Kuomintang could be an interesting faction.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 10:44:21 am »

I approve of this new story, but, er...

What's "victor's guilt"? Google isn't giving me anything about that.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 10:50:22 am »

Starting Area: Benguela
Name: African Trade Coalition(ATC)
Alignment: None
Sphere: Industrial

Generation: 3 - Industry
Having control of the old industry of the African Trade Union has given ATC a great deal of industrial capabilites, their factories are some of the most productive in the world, but unfortunately their industry has been crippled by the civil war but is starting to go into full swing again.

Action: 0 - none
The ATC is still heavily disorganized and is still pulling itself together after the civil war.

Reaction: 1 - Neutral Allies
The ATC has some connections to previous neutral trading partners, while most of these were lost it retains some ability to gain supplies from uninvolved nations.

Power: 2 - Armaments
The African Trade Union was previously the center of the world arms trade, although it's weapons are somewhat dated it has a great many of them.

Armor: 0 - none
The civil war more or less crippled the region in many ways, although it did used to possess some significant amounts of tanks before they were destroyed.

Perception: 1 - Radio Network
The ATC has some amount of communication going on that allows them to keep up to date on what is going on where, but they are somewhat disorganized.

Stealth: 1 - Tunnels
The ATC has a significant network of tunnels running under it's territory, these tunnels include some fairly large underground complexes and are constantly being expanded.

Range: 2 - Air Force
ATC has numerous zepplins that used to form the central basis of the African Trade Unions ability to trade, it also has limited amounts of airplanes.

The African Trade Union was a large industrious organization that developed ties with various small nations around the world. It made it's mark by trading weapons to nations that were engaged in combat, and prospered because of it. Later on however when the previous president was assassinated the region was plunged into a civil war as various factions tried to take control of the Trade Union. Eventually a banding together of some of the factions led to the African Trade Coalition, it is disorganized but managed to push out nearly all other competition and is currently setting it's sights on regaining it's previous power.

EDIT: It should be pointed out that my faction has at some point previously traded with the enemies of most of the superpowers. So most of them are kinda irritated with it.

EDIT: changed some stuff.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:32:13 pm by Pnx »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9