Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Gimme steampunk!  (Read 7060 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme steampunk!
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jusal:
<STRONG>The Thief series, especially the two first games (Thief: The Dark Project and Thief 2: The Metal Age) are set in a steampunk-ish world. You don't get to build your own bots but I assure you all the looting makes up for it.</STRONG>

I should add that you do get to build a few things in the last level of TMA.  Also, there are hundreds of Thief fan missions around, some of which are at least as good as the originals.

You can't go wrong with Thief.  Best.  Games.  Ever.

Ignore this post.  I didn't finish reading the first page of the thread when I posted, let alone the rest of it.  Remember, kids:  Reading is good for you.

[ April 30, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

There were actually quite a few visual overhaul mods that made the Morrowind engine perform to 120% of its capability. There were seamless character models, neat textures for everything. It looked hardly inferior to Oblivion.

And I liked Morrowind a lot more anyway. I think I'll get around to finding a distribution someplace. The world was a lot more open. Levitation wasn't forbidden. You could make a potion that would make you jump across the entire island and land safely (I mean through modding). Physics... ah, t'hell with physics. What's the point of being able to drag items around if you can't bend the world the way you want?

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

Aye, there are a bunch of nice texture packs that make the world look incredible. Better Bodies / Heads is a must, too.

The one mod I couldn't live without is Morrowind Comes Alive. It makes the cities actually feel like cities, rather than encampments for < 20 people. Now if only there was a mod to improve Vivec. I want to find the game designer that said "hey, eight or nine identical superstructures arranged like a cross would be really interesting!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I always got so lost in there.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

Don't feel bad, so did everyone else. Even the NPCs that lived there frequently got caught on plants. Vivec is like this huge pathfinding stress test.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

I dunno, I kinda liked it, except for the wierd adobe texture everywhere, those damn Ordinators insulting me at every turn(is there any way to get them to quit calling me 'scum'?), and the fact that all the out-of-city transport was a mile away from the main bridge. Besides that, it was pretty nice: the asteroid-turned-prison hovering precariously over the temple was a nice touch.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

I tried to fly to the moon one time, using the twelve-hour levitate altar.  After like ten minutes I looked up at my buffs, and noticed I was no longer levitating, I looked down just in time to see the water a few inches below me.  I went like ten feet underwater, and lost like half of my health.

As for mean Ordinators, once you become the Nerevarine they start harassing you, and sometimes even attacking you.

Shoes...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

Ouch. I mean, I know they get pissed if you walk around in their armor (Hey, the captain GAVE it to me!) but...damn.
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

Huh... yeah, that moon-prison was pretty cool. Any part of Vivec that isn't the moon, the palace or the sewers, then.

There are a couple mods around to quell the Ordinators' palpable hatred toward you, but nothing official that I know of. Well, besides a heavy two-handed sword to their masks, but I suppose you want a non-violent solution.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

No, violence is golden and losing is fun, remember? I want something that'll make those pointy-eared, blue-faced n'wahs suffer for their arrogance!

Yeah, a nice summonable Imperfect should suffice.  :D

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Now if only there was a mod to improve Vivec. I want to find the game designer that said "hey, eight or nine identical superstructures arranged like a cross would be really interesting!"</STRONG>

there was one, but i dont remember the name.  it added floating markets and hanging gardens and shit like that.  basically all the cannals between the megastructures had raft cities and second story wooden platforms between them, filled with people and shops and things.

killed the poor old CPU and GPU though, and my machine was no slouch.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

morrowind was one of the few crpgs i ever "won"...i came close with  Might and Magic...damn Dragon City Council!
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>http://www.edge-of-twilight.com/</STRONG>

Post-apoc plus steampunk sounds...  less fun than either individually.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:26 pm »

New alaplaya steampunk mmo. I can't seem to find any info on it besides the silly overview page. Maybe there are some videos on youtube or some reviews on mmohut, but check it out at your own risk:

http://argo.en.alaplaya.net/

Yes, mmohut has a video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RniUBeZ6Zn4

Watching now to see how steampunkish it is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:50:23 pm by Soulwynd »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6