Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Gimme steampunk!  (Read 7062 times)

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme steampunk!
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

Confirmed.  In fact, you're missing out.  All the mission briefs are done in the same style as the original Thief/Thief2 briefs.  I've had loading problems for movies with Thief 2 on a modern machine as well.  I can't remember what I did to fix it, but I think it might've been just plain luck.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Thanks.  I checked out the troubleshooting FAQs on the TtLG forums, they had an answer that seems to have worked.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

I've downloaded a massive load of mods to make Oblivion interesting, but it's only somewhat working.  I've only played a little smattering of Morrowind, but I remember thinking that the lizardfolk in Morrowind looked much better than the ones in Oblivion.  I know, strange thing to think of.

I did have some fun in Oblivion after downloading that combat mod, though...  Slicing people in half, smashing their skulls open and picking up their brains (and then eating them), lopping the head off and then watching as they run about for a couple seconds like a headless chicken, and then getting bombed out of my mind with the aid of the inebriation mod and a few bottles of beer.

Not to say anything of the Alienslof mods...   But that's a subject better left undiscussed.

The demonic realm that is the namesake of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is so dreadfully dull after the second time through that I just avoided every oblivion gate I came across...  The monsters didn't threaten me, the traps I could avoid (or just survive through pure force of HP), but the boredom of seeing exactly the same thing over and over and over again was just too much.

I don't think I'll get around to buying Morrowind -there are too many other good candidates for my attention- but how active was the modding community for it?  Oblivion has a very friendly interface for installing modifications, and that made me much more likely to actually get some of the mods I found.  How did Morrowind deal with modders?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

I don't know what the Oblivion mod interface is.  Is it something that comes up when you put the disk in, and you click boxes next to the mods to activate them?
If so, Morrowind is just like that.
If not, that's what Morrowind does.  It's very easy.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

Yup, that's it.  I love stuff like that, it's so damned easy to work with modified content that way around.  None of the convoluted semi-installation processes that other games have with their mods, where you may end up deleting some necessary file and losing everything you had, requiring you to start over from scratch.

Nope, none of that.

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

I never thought I'd see the day...
But I think it's a safe bet that I'll be getting this tomorrow    :)

Yeah, that's 100... 100 as an average from 13 different media reviews. I think the internet just broke.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: LSTAR ]

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

Wow.  Hot damn.  100?  For a Rockstar game?  That's...  Wow.

I've been a fan of the series for quite some time.  I'll definitely be checking this out.  I wonder if they're going to cook up another scandal for this one...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

How about Wizardry 8?

It not Steampunk based, but the robot guy's places are very, very steampunk.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Scandal-wise this time round, the biggest thing so far is drunk driving. Apparently, when inebriated, moving around (without hitting things) becomes pretty difficult (kinda like in real life...). Some watchdogs aren't too happy with this as it might encourage minors to... uh... get a car, drink alcohol and run someone over after playing it in an M-Rated game. Hold on a second... What?
It does look pretty fun, but I'm not quite sure how anyone can see that as being worse than murdering several hundred people for no reason. Maybe people have just got used to that.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

Yes, nobody talks about the well-respected method of hiring a hooker, getting your money's worth out of her, and then running her over with the car you screwed her in to get your money back.

The only time I saw anything close to drunk driving was one mission in GTA:Vice City, where you have to drive that one guy to the hospital after he blows his arm off with homemade booze.  It's good that they added it in for more frequent usage, since driving that car was such a major pain in the ass that I would gladly do it again.

Still though, fun to have.  Leave it to Rockstar...

EDIT:  Just watched the video.  Bloody brilliant.  Abso-bloody-lutely brilliant.

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Eh?  So they think it would be more socially responsible for the game to depict drinking as having no effect on driving ability at all?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

oh, I found http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind  :Dwemer_Centurions
from a quick google search.
And heres a video that includes a variety of dwemer(dwarf) things... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4faL4ICDrg

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2008, 05:42:00 am »

I'd like to present to you the reason I still play Oblivion and the other reason I still play Oblivion.

Just found the vids on YouTube.  I don't have the mods (yet), but it's that general dedication of the moddng community that I find attractive.

Very attractive.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Ugh, I'm trying to remember the cool mod.  I don't remember, but it let you drop boulders from the sky, summon goblin invasions, summon giant(I mean massive, Dagon-size) Ogres, incite huge riots, and more.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6