Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Gimme steampunk!  (Read 7068 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme steampunk!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Kagus, I think you're thinking of Eternal Silence.

Did Dystopia have a large playerbase?  Large being enough people for a mostly-full game at least 12 hours a day?  A lot of those mods are pretty much dead, which is why I was afraid to download Dystopia, and  waste my time.

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

Yes, Eternal Silence, that's the one I was thinking of.

And Dystopia's one of the biggest and best-known HL2 mods around.  It even spawned a mini-meme.  I basically just goofed around with the classes and weapons in a locked-off game, so I never really saw how many players were out there.  But considering all the references made to it, and the fact that it has (or had, not really sure) its own webcomic, I believe it's safe to assume that there are enough players.  Moreso than, say, Gutter Runners.

Heh, Gutter Runners had steampunk things in it...   Damn shame that it withered like it did.  At least I got to play it when there were still a few servers up and a few players playing.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

Sir, you have made my day.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

Me?  Score!    :)

But yeah, Thief II was a bigger influence on my childhood than could be considered normal.  My family went to France and explored all these medieval towns the year that I got it, and all I could do was stare at the twisting streets and scope out possible routes in and out of the buildings, through windows and back doors, and even through the canals.  Then that summer some friends of mine and I took to skulking around through town, ducking lights and avoiding cars.  It was a great, great time.

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

Might be a good idea to point out which "sir" you're referring to.  There might be some who would wonder what you're talking about before seeing the T2X link a couple posts above.

Speaking of which, that site (and everything on it) looks really professional.  For those who've beaten Thief 3 (a community of which I am not a part.  I happened to read the end spoiler at some place and have never been able to cleanse my mind of it since), there's a little thing that might give rise to ponderation of Zaya's background (if it hasn't been explained in the expansion itself).

I'm a bit leery of this redoing of the character voices...  That bear pit (yes I know, previous Thief) just wouldn't have been the same without that particular voice doing it.  Also, I have yet to find a fan-made (seems strange calling these people mere "fans" though) voiceover that actually sounded good.  It definitely bears looking into, of course.  If I ever actually buy Thief 2, I'll be sure to give it a go.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

Oh, and by the way...another bunch of taffers have taken to modding Doom III, of all things, and created a Thief-based universe.  They're actually coming along quite well.  You can check it out at http://www.thedarkmod.com/.  I realize you might not have a spare copy of Doom III lying around, but it's certainly worth a look-see, if only to check out the significant amount of work they've accomplished.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Actually, I do have Doom III.  I played the original DooM extensively when I was a kid, and my dad played it with his co-workers before Diablo came about and took the place of honor.  I've tried one mod (the RPG mod.  It's actually pretty nice, but I ran into a fatal error that prevented me from ever beating it), and I was looking at trying out that "last man standing" mod.  Never got around to it though.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

@Kagus: Yeah, I hear you about the voiceovers.  All the same, the voices in T2X are almost uniformly excellent - I'd say it's about 90-95% professional grade.

Unfortunately, the ending of Deadly Shadows doesn't have much bearing on Zaya.  T2X was in production before Deadly Shadows, and the plot actually runs parallel to the events in Thief II.  But maybe I've said too much already.   ;)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

I knew that T2X was in development before T3, but I figured I could hope for a mysterious enough timeframe/background to tie them together.

Even though I haven't experienced it firsthand, I would just like to say that T3 ended beautifully.   Absolutely brilliant.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 11:50:00 am »

The Dark Mod... Now you reminded why I should buy Doom 3 again.

Which again reminds me that I should buy a computer that can actually run it.

In any case T2X has more of a Thief 1 feeling to it than a Thief 2 one. This is not necessarily a bad thing, personally I find it great to have a Thief 1 style plotline for the updated dark engine, but heed my warning that as in Thief 1 you're eventually going to get knee-deep in the dead, want it or not. And those dead are walking.

Indeed, the ending in Thief 3 was brilliant.

[ April 27, 2008: Message edited by: Jusal ]

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

@Kagus: Seconded (well, thirded by this point).  Whatever Deadly Shadows lacked by staying true to the Thief series, it made up in plot and plot revelation devices.  Also, I still shudder at the thought of the Shalebridge level.  That level alone was worth playing through the entire game to that point.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

Well, back to the topic on the firts page, the elder scrolls 3: morrowind has steampunk dwarves(almost all dead, only one in the game) who left huge mechanical amd steam powered ruins, and with the editor you could easily create a method of constructing some of the steam creatures from scrap metal and gears, and maybe one of the more exotic components they have.
Maybe someone even made a steampunk plugin.
Eh?
Eh!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

I don't know much about Morrowind, the only Elder Scrolls game I've got is Oblivion.  I suppose a quick search on TES Nexus could reveal whether or not someone took the time to make and release a suitably steampunk modification.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

Oblivion is nothing compared to Morrowind.  Sound and Fury, signifying nothing, to appease the Halo kids.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Yes, Oblivion was pretty but they decided to dumb it down, rather like what happened with Deus Ex.

Oooh.  Deus Ex.  Brilliant cyberpunk game.

Initial impressions of T2x:  Bit of a system shock going from Deadly Shadows to tMA graphics, but very atmospheric nonetheless.  Some of the voice acting is a little weak, but the rest is good and it's amply made up for by the quality of the writing- the Thief feel is captured perfectly.

I'm on the third mission and haven't seen any cut-scenes or mission briefings yet- I simply go from the debriefing to the objectives of the next mission.  I get the feeling I'm missing story elements.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6