Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Gimme steampunk!  (Read 7066 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme steampunk!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

Now you're making no sense at all.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Yeah, that was a bit of a joke.
Shoes...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

Thief II is the next best game in existence, ever.  (the best by far being DF)

The third one is OK but I miss the robots  :( , and there is something whit the engine in general that I cant put my finger on...

Those mechanists were awesome.

(MAJOR SPOILER: in the last level you get *exactly* what the OP asks for)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

Steamband:  WHY does the strange terminal get infinite attacks per round again?  There must be something better than this...  

But it would appear that only the Japanese are into steampunk.  There is a rather dreadful lack of steampunk games out there...   Whereas you can search for a football game (American or otherwise) and get several pages of search results...

So it would appear that Arcanum is the only non-MMORPG game that actually has anything going for it in this category.  Great.

Well, maybe it's time to turn my attentions to another genre...  Zombie games are kind of a no-brainer (pun intended) with the upcoming release of Left 4 Dead, cyberpunk never really managed to grab my attention quite as much as steampunk (and I already know a couple cyberpunk games), so that leaves Warhammer and play-the-badguy games.

Silverfall had some elements of steampunk in it, but it had several shortcomings...  That, and the guns were terrible.  Awesome hats though.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 06:33:00 am »

I take it you've played the classic play the badguy games- the Dungeon Keepers and Evil Genius.  All worthwhile titles.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

Dungeon Keeper I and II hold esteemed places in my heart and on my game shelf.  I was lucky enough to play the second one before the first, and so I did not once in the have crushed expectations.

Except for those in reference to DK3...

Evil Genius, on the other hand, I've only played the demo to.  Still quite fun, but there's only so much you can do with that.  

There's a zombie game/badguy(-ish) game called "Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse", and it's always wonderful to get someone else hooked on that.  Again, I've only ever played the demo, but I was really planning on buying the full thing for a while there.  It's not often that a game like Stubbs comes along.  

Mmm....  Nothing quite like throwing that perfect gut grenade at a flying barbershop quartet member with a raygun.  It's just so damn fun blowing those buggers out of the sky, especially if they just started into the "destroy the zombie hordes" chorus.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 09:43:00 am »

I only played the demo of that too, it was pretty cool.  I could see it get boring fast though.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

I don't know...  Riding a tractor around and chewing up redneck farmers, driving a levitating pickup with a bunch of your fellow zombies in the bed, sending your horde through the big open streets of town as the military assembles their forces...  I think I could keep myself entertained.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

I suppose.  Left 4 Dead looks like the coolest game ever.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

Hmmm, Stubbs got a pretty bad review in PCG.  Maybe the humour didn't work for them.

Evil Genius is worth getting the full version of, though.  Tough as nails but lots of fun.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

Well, the humour worked for me.  I guess they just don't like games that focus more on laughter than difficulty or aliens, especially if it's made off the Halo engine.

Evil Genius does indeed look fun, but I'd have to think long and hard before purchasing it instead of Overlord, or some other game that's actually new.

Like Left 4 Dead.  I'm really looking forward to seeing just how good that AI is, the reviews have been astounding.  That AI "dungeon master" in particular looks to be awesome.

I think I'll most likely play as an infected for the first game though...  Smoker, in particular.  I'll just hang around the crowd, find a nice ledge somewhere, and then tongue-yank someone into a zombie dogpile.  I like working with a crowd of friedlies (hence my attraction to such games as Overlord, among others).  Maybe I'll take a boomer after that to act as a support-puker, giving the other infected a boost in taking out the survivors.  But I gotta take a tank at some point just to see how much environmental damage I can do.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>cyberpunk never really managed to grab my attention quite as much as steampunk (and I already know a couple cyberpunk games)</STRONG>

quote:
<STRONG>(and I already know a couple cyberpunk games)</STRONG>

I am having a serious cyberpunk phase right now - and by serious I mean "I almost tracked down a copy of The Matrix Online to get my fix" serious.  Which games do you know?  I'm probably going to put Anarchy Online back on the computer since it's free and all, but if you've got any others I am ALL ears.

Edit: Darn formatting.  Oh, but while I'm here, Thief II was the best out of the series by far - trust me, it was more of a formative force in my teen years than I'd ever want to admit.  Not to mention there's a free professional-grade expansion pack done by the community, so you've essentially got two games right there.  So in conclusion, get it.  You won't be disappointed at all.

[ April 27, 2008: Message edited by: JustOnePixel ]

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

Well, to be honest, my experience with the cyberpunk genre is really limited to mods and Deus Ex.  The mods are for Half-Life2, one is space-related (my Freelancer experience gives me a bit of an edge with Newtonian flight) the other is just pure, hard cyberpunk.  Dystopia.

It's a multiplayer game, with three different "classes" of character on two teams.  You've got light, medium and heavy.  Light characters are hackers, and although they have some nifty abilities in the real world (automated turrets, sniper rifles, disabling enemy stuff) they should really spend most of their time jacked in to cyberspace, where they can jump about and throw viruses at each other, while trying to unlock/lock that door/turret/power core.

Mediums are essentially just your average grunt.  Heavies are slow, heavily armored, and get access to the biggest and badassest guns in the game, just like any character with the "heavy" adjective should.

The other one I currently forget the name of, but it's similar in a few aspects.  Overall, Dystopia is a bit more polished, but the other game has some really neat weapons and spaceship battles (trying to remember where the hell that damned docking port is can be a pain though...  Especially if you happen to be flying the troop shuttle and you've got five guys complaining about thwy they aren't on the other ship yet and could you please avoid those turrets).

I'm unaware of any MMO cyberpunk games, but the ones I listed (aside from Deus Ex) are at least multiplayer.  But, as I said, cyberpunk's not really my thing.

There was one game I tried a while back that looked like it had some pretty insane depth, but I can't remember the name of it...  It was singleplayer, and I'm not sure what specific style you're looking for as far as how many people are playing.    There was also a really wacky problem it had with my computer, where the entire world would just turn dull orange and I couldn't see where I was going.  I never fixed it, although I did cheat to see what all the items were that you could get your hands on.  Laser flail?  Hell yeah.

It was kinda old though, so the graphics weren't that great (by current standards).  If only I could remember the damned name of that thing...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:00 am »

*perk*

Expansion?  Is this the same community that was mentioned earlier?

I've started replaying Deadly Shadows as a result of this thread.  I like the engine, and the feel is right- if only some of the details were better executed.  I already whined about flashbombs; items in general are a bit too easy to come by and carry in bulk.  I'm currently playing without buying any non-plot-essential items, and am not close to running out of anything.  The other pet peeve that comes to mind is the faction system- not a bad idea, but not welll implemented.  There are about 15 bugs around the city, and the Hammers'll forgive you the death sentence just for killing three.  Whereas I've never even seen one of these Pagan cornerstones, and I've actually used guides to look for them.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 10:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>*perk*

Expansion?  Is this the same community that was mentioned earlier?</STRONG>

Yeah, it was done by some of the die-hard of the die-hard fans (seriously - these guys have been active in the community since I was in eighth grade).  It's more than a bunch of fan levels, though - they redid EVERY character model and EVERY voice transcript, added a whole new parallel plot, and even a few new crafty game mechanics which I'm still not quite sure how they managed.  Anyway, you can get it at http://www.thief2x.com/.  It's good for at least ten more hours of gameplay.  And, of course, it's free.

Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6