Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gimme steampunk!  (Read 7063 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Gimme steampunk!
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:44:00 am »

You heard me.  I want to know of a good game where I can construct the haphazard and impossible constructs that are common to the steampunk genre.

Arcanum was a great game, at least what I tasted of it.  That ability to build things to aid you really appealed to me.  So what if I could only build silenced revolvers (revolver + muffler.  Perfect) and fertilizer smoke bombs, I was still making stuff!  And furthermore, I only needed to find the right parts, I didn't need to give up some of my hard-earned XP to do it (I'm lookin' at you, D&D...).

So what I'm wondering is; are there any other good games out there that embody steampunk in a tasteful way, or otherwise allow you to construct things to aid you from component parts?  Any genre is accepted, as I happen to enjoy steampunk in most of its forms, but I'm especially looking for RPG's with constructifying abilitatives.

Help an old gamer waste some more of his time...

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme steampunk!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/steamband.html

10k listings under game steampunk at source forge(yikes)...this was on page one  :)

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

Ooh...  ASCII, steampunk, and Angband!  Should be interesting, I've never played Angband before, or any of its spinoffs.

EDIT:Woo, that's impressive.  Uniformly grey levels with every creature serving no purpose but to be killed by you, and terminals that can kill you the instant you step near them.  I think I'm gonna keep looking.

EDIT2:  I ran a search of my own, and ended up looking at the Warhammer Online promo vid.  I felt inspired, and made this:

Oh the monsters outside are frightful
But the fighting is so delightful
And since we've nowhere to turn,
Let it burn! Let it burn! Let it burn!

The sorceror just got toasted
And the cultists all got roasted
Their ashes are in an urn
Let it burn! Let it burn! Let it burn!

When we finally win the fight
How I'll love giving skulls to ol' Khorne
'Cause otherwise we'll get his blight
And wish we never had been born

So while the Mark may be kinda itchy
The Elves are kinda kitchsy
And the Dwarves are rather stern
So let it burn! Let it burn! Let it burn!

When we finally win the fight
How I'll love giving skulls to ol' Khorne
'Cause otherwise we'll get his blight
And wish we never had been born

So while the Mark may be kinda itchy
The Elves are kinda kitchsy
And the Dwarves are rather stern
So let it burn! Let it burn! Let it burn!

I don't really like those last two verses, but I couldn't think of anything better at the time.  It takes a while to wrap around the tongue though, and even then it's a bit stiff.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

The Thief series, especially the two first games (Thief: The Dark Project and Thief 2: The Metal Age) are set in a steampunk-ish world. You don't get to build your own bots but I assure you all the looting makes up for it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

Heh heh, friend, you don't know Garrett like I know Garrett.   That game left a rather impressive mark on me.

However, of all oddities, I skipped the second one in the series (the most steampunk-esque).  I went from the Dark Project straight to Deadly Shadows.  Now that it was a conscious choice mind you, it's just that I wasn't really paying much attention to the Metal Age when it came out, and by the time my interest in Thief had picked up again Deadly Shadows was out.

Gotta say, I do love those hammerites...  And "taffer" has become part of my vocabulary, if only to serve the purpose of saying that it is part of my vocabulary.   Gotta love the bear pits, too.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

In that case let me introduce... A place for us taffers.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

There was a REALLY excellent PvP mod called Thievery for Unreal Tournament back in the day.  I know they planned to update it for 2k4 and beyond but I stopped following it.  Enjoyed that game too much and it was starting to affect my grades badly.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Ah, the hammerites.  Making religious dogma interesting!  I love those games.  PC Gamer UK did an awesome article on the Shalebridge Cradle level, and the ingenious use of suspense and horror therein- everythig from the way it leaves you to piece together the horror-story of its past to the way the lights pulse very slowly, like a heartbeat, as if the very building has a perverse life of its own.  

They did a really good job of making Deadly Shadows a recognisable sequel.  My one gripe is that they broke flash bombs.  Okay, taking away the ability to blackjack blinded opponents made sense.  But I loved them as an ace-in-the-hole, a precious second chance.  They shouldn't be dirt-cheap, and I shouldn't be able to carry 25 of them.  Not to mention they damage undead... who needs holy water?  [/rant]

Back on topic, I got nothin', steampunkwise.  Although you should grub around for a cheap copy of The Metal Age.  Sneaky goodness.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

I haven't played Thief in a while, I don't like stealth games when I'm not stealing from people for some reason, so I'm having trouble getting the motivation to do Kurshok temple.  If I'm not having fun, I don't play something, and apparently not even the constant shouts of "CRADLE RULZ" I hear everywhere I go can motivate me to just push through that level.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

Hey, there's some good loot in the Kurshok temple!  Without giving too much away, one of the side objectives on that level involves some important and serious theft.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

You mean the crown?  I know, I should've clarified.  When I said stealing from "people", I meant stealing from "Humans".  For some reason I have a problem if my foes aren't people.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

Hmmm.  Well, at least if you have the crown you're nearly there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

I don't have it, I just know it's there.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Ack.  Well, my condolences.  At least, if memory serves, the next bit involves more human 'interaction'.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

I'll get around to slogging through that level eventually.  Probably after I'm bored of DF.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6