Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what is Toady's "countdown"?  (Read 3082 times)

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what is Toady's "countdown"?
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:55 am »

Hey folks-

This might be common knowledge but I didn't see anything in the searches.  Toady has 1100+ items in his "countdown".  What exactly are these items?  Specific Features? Lines of code?  How does Toady quantify the work between releases exactly?

The game programmer side of me needs to know.  :)
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: what is Toady's "countdown"?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:28:26 am »

Hey folks-

This might be common knowledge but I didn't see anything in the searches.  Toady has 1100+ items in his "countdown".  What exactly are these items?  Specific Features? Lines of code?  How does Toady quantify the work between releases exactly?

The game programmer side of me needs to know.  :)

little items, programming entitys, functions and whatever...
at least its impossible to guess the amount of line you have to do ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 03:50:50 am »

According to todays dev now, the number is comprised approximatly of these things
Quote from: dev_now
11/05/2008: 1138. Continuing on with boringish polymorphism. What's left, by the way, not necessarily in order, are 193 worth of these body changes, 250 worth of wounds and health care concerns, 165 for map features, 260 for entity positions, 195 for squads, and 75 for random crap and tests.

Basically, they're "things" he wants to do. Some might be multiple lines of codes, others might just be simple.
Magma is overrated.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:08:08 am »

I hate to say it but

Reading the dev log ...

It sure does seem like Toady is losing interest in the project.

Things which might have previously been interesting to him are described as boring or tedious or annoying. 

I've noticed an immense uptick in the number of "blah blah blah"'s he uses. 

It sure does feel like he's getting tired of the 'ole DF.

Maybe we should make him a get well soon card.  Or maybe a "program or die" card.  Something like that.   :(
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

I think the 'blah blah blahs' are just boring code cleaning bits that don't need to be detailed in any amount.    A lot of what he's doing currently is simply updating code to make it more future friendly.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:08 am »

I think it has more to do with the rest of everything else.  I found two "blah"s in the dev log, one a few days ago when I was balancing my pre-election stuff with everything else and hadn't done the forums for days, and one when I was in the middle of the tech support mess with my old web host and was starting to think I'd have to move the site.  I've been stretched pretty thin since sometime in October, and for some reason I got up at 7pm yesterday which was really weird (3pm is also weird, but normal for me).  It's also a bit weird doing the dev logs for this countdown, as I already did some of the excited writeups when I did the outlines a while ago, and now that I'm going through and filling them in, there's less to say sometimes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:33 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
...and for some reason I got up at 7pm yesterday which was really weird (3pm is also weird, but normal for me)...
Which kind of begs the question of what exactly you do when you're not writing DF; I had you pegged as either taking a Comp Sci master's or writing code somewhere famous and earning a ridiculous amount of money.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:23:46 am »

I think it has more to do with the rest of everything else.  I found two "blah"s in the dev log, one a few days ago when I was balancing my pre-election stuff with everything else and hadn't done the forums for days, and one when I was in the middle of the tech support mess with my old web host and was starting to think I'd have to move the site.  I've been stretched pretty thin since sometime in October, and for some reason I got up at 7pm yesterday which was really weird (3pm is also weird, but normal for me).  It's also a bit weird doing the dev logs for this countdown, as I already did some of the excited writeups when I did the outlines a while ago, and now that I'm going through and filling them in, there's less to say sometimes.

Take your time, Toady - don't get burned out. 40d will last us for quite a while. ^_^
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:02 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one with sleeping disorder.
Or maybe I'm not...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28:23 am »

I hate to say it but

Reading the dev log ...

Things which might have previously been interesting to him are described as boring or tedious or annoying. 

Maybe we should make him a get well soon card.  Or maybe a "program or die" card.  Something like that.   :(

Even if Toady would be a bit "burnt out", that would be understandable to be honest...I don't know too much about coding, but it must be one of the most boring things on the planet.
Perhaps Toady shouldn't code a single line in December. It's X-mas time anyway. Spend some time with the friends/family/etc...but again, Toady knows that what is the best for him.  :)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:25 am »

I'm glad I'm not the only one with sleeping disorder.
Or maybe I'm not...

i live a 28/6 week instead of normal 24/7.. its not like id o it exactly this way but one day a week i dont sleep... and then i sleep depends on mood (could be morning, afternoon, or sometimes even at night)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 03:46:29 pm »

I hate to say it but

Reading the dev log ...

Even if Toady would be a bit "burnt out", that would be understandable to be honest...I don't know too much about coding, but it must be one of the most boring things on the planet.
Perhaps Toady shouldn't code a single line in December. It's X-mas time anyway. Spend some time with the friends/family/etc...but again, Toady knows that what is the best for him.  :)

If Toady is burnt out from coding, it probably isn't from boredom. Coding is actually one of the funnest (productive) things you can do. Don't get me wrong, the act of typing all of that out isn't fun or anything, but working out a bug in your code, or figuring out how to implement something new is awesome.

It's kinda like trying to build a megaproject in DF.  Even when something gets massively screwed, you can only be mad for so long before you want to get back to work and figure out where you went wrong.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »

am i seriously the only one that saw this thread and thought that Europe's "The Final Countdown" was involved?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 06:07:03 pm »

well hang in there bro.  i forgot about that big cluster&%#@k with the website, and that had to be nothing but a massive distraction and annoyance. 

when the sleep schedule gets messed up, its good to take some time away and get settled again.  i wasn't trying to imply any impatience, just a worry that you may have been cracking away at it too hard.  if your sleep schedule gets too screwy, try and get some OTC melatonin, it's not a sleeping pill, it just resets your circadian rhythm to whichever works best for your schedule.

anyway hang in there man, even if you aren't totally excited about some of the stuff you are doing, know that i am, we are, and we're behind you and keeping up and i know we all wish we could help, so hopefully people will keep up donating and you can stay human while trying to keep us grubbers happy =)  good luck, brother.

*And remember:  If it isn't fun now, wait until it is again!  have fun with it!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:09:28 pm by valcon »
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 07:07:28 pm »

The thing I admire most about this project is that Toady's managing (for the most part) making a living doing something he enjoys.  If he isn't enjoying it, then that sucks.

But, as with pretty much everything, there are going to be times when what one's working on isn't super interesting, and also when one just isn't into doing it right now.  So yeah, I don't think it's quite time to be calling doom of the "Oh no!  No more fun is being had anymore!" sort.  But maybe a longer holiday should be considered since it sounds like this last one wasn't much fun, what with all the crazy internet stuff.  Or, you know, whatever.

Personally, I've found that in order to function at all I have to spend about 8 hours a week playing with dogs. 

Puppies: nature's stress reliever.
Pages: [1] 2