Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum  (Read 10191 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:02 pm »

Yeah, I like the current graphics.

I can understand why some people might want some new graphics, but personally it's the thing I care about the least.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:44:52 am »

Get a big wad of cash. Send it to Toady with a nice letter. The bigger the wad the better. :p

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 02:06:15 am »

Am I pretty much alone in being able to play DF without any tilesets whatsoever? I think they make the game look uglier and are sometimes just as hard to interpret, but whatever.

Halfway decent graphical support is a ways off in any case.

Yeah, i don't use tilesets either, they subtract from the immersion of it, without them you have to THINK and make up what the dwarves are doing.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 02:50:48 am »

Why can't a couple of simple things be done before entering into an arc that it probably isn't going to be time for for years?

Toady will do what he wants to, when he wants. His game, his development schedule.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:57 am »

Yeah, i don't use tilesets either, they subtract from the immersion of it, without them you have to THINK and make up what the dwarves are doing.

Tilesets don't give you any more information though, really. The most they do is make some assumptions about how some items/creatures look, which I guess can be annoying, but is ignorable.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 03:23:22 am »

Tilesets don't give you any more information though, really. The most they do is make some assumptions about how some items/creatures look, which I guess can be annoying, but is ignorable.

Being able to tell the difference between a goblin wrestler and a mountain goat is kind of useful.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 05:22:38 am »

Being able to tell the difference between a goblin wrestler and a mountain goat is kind of useful.

Seriously, as much as ASCII has the magnificent benefit of forcing you to use your imagination, I'm baffled with the lies that its defenders will sometimes come up with.
<3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:57 am »

Those emoticons look like it is about to or doing the chicken dance.

Also I find ASCII to ruin imagination more... in the fact that I was suddenly killed by a Fox who turned out to be a Fire Demon or something like that.

HOW THE HECK did I confuse the two? Wow I should do a picture of that.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 08:35:54 am »

Why can't a couple of simple things be done before entering into an arc that it probably isn't going to be time for for years?

Toady will do what he wants to, when he wants. His game, his development schedule.

Right, and he's perfectly capable of making those decisions himself without people on the forum saying "lol, arcs" whenever anyone asks for a feature.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:22 am »

I think the normal argument is that Toady doesn't want to code a 'quick fix' that will need to be rewritten later, and instead prefers to write things when they're going to be stable and not change later on.  It doesn't sound like a big deal to spend one day doing a feature now, then another day redoing it later.  But when the feature might take a week or two, and a lot of long-term planning, to do right...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 09:13:59 am »

You can tell that from context.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 09:47:44 am »

Hehe, it's more fun making a guess and sending a recruit to deal with it, that way you find out what it was, and (hopefully) lose another soap maker.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 10:04:15 am »

I think the normal argument is that Toady doesn't want to code a 'quick fix' that will need to be rewritten later, and instead prefers to write things when they're going to be stable and not change later on.  It doesn't sound like a big deal to spend one day doing a feature now, then another day redoing it later.  But when the feature might take a week or two, and a lot of long-term planning, to do right...

Seriously.... It'd be several weeks to do code that would make every future development take significantly longer, and probably be thrown away for a full rewrite after the full feature set is in.

It's a painful decision, but the right one.

When you're building a mansion, you don't build the palatial master bedroom as soon as the frame will support it.  You haul in a trailer and stick it in the corner of the lot.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 10:08:01 am »

I sort of gave up on graphical tilesets since I have to copy them all over each update, also that I like to play this game at work with a 3x3 font and disguised to make it look like a taskbar popup or something.

I do think they add a lot to the game, also the good thing is that it's something that Toady can just program it and let other people do the annoying work like actually draw the stupid things. That and it gives them something to do, which I suppose makes them happy too.

And workshops are 3x3 or 5x5 b.t.w.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 10:12:30 am »

*Happy with the ASCII*

Just saying, is all.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10