Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum  (Read 10184 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:40 am »

The 80x25 grid yields too small tiles for graphics to make sense, so I don't care about tilesets. I liked the feature in DoomRL where you could 'look' at any monster and see a fullscreen pseudographic color image of him, but if there were tiny tiles with images of these monsters instead of ASCII, it would just look crappy. Same goes about 3d... I'd certainly like to view the fortress in 3d, but not play it as such.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:45 am »

I like ASCII as well, (this thread is ancient, by the way. :o ) to the point of never having used a tileset. Ever. I think I just like stark colors and sharp contrast.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:20 am »

I like ASCII as well, (this thread is ancient, by the way. :o ) to the point of never having used a tileset. Ever. I think I just like stark colors and sharp contrast.

Ascii ftw.  Also it gives me the option of typing in screen shots. ☺-This is an image of a dwarf surrounded by fluffy wamblers.  The dwarf looks terrified.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:41 pm »

I think the relentless support from the standing community only enforces the need for better graphics support, so that the community can really take off.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

Myself, I grew up playing Nethack and Lemmings.  I've seen games get more and more pretty over the years, but for some reason I've only rarely seen the level of detail I've seen in some older dos games and Dwarf Fortress.  Is this good or not?  I'm not sure, with increased complexity you can do very interesting things, but there is also the learning curve and resulting interface to consider as an obstacle to new players. 

Personally I would prefer an option to have every item in the game represented by a seperate tile or symbol or to have it as ASCII, similar to Nethack.  This way the player can choose how the game is displayed.  As for a possible 3-d version if that ever occurred I have to say the game has always reminded me at least somewhat of Dungeon Keeper, and it perhaps would be best to display it in that format.

However, before any graphics need to be done it is my belief that the interface needs to be cleaned up a bit.  Easier to get more players with an easier to use interface and hopefully more donations.

On a side note I've always wondered with how much dwarves drink how are their tunnels not flooded? 

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »

I use the curses_square16x16 tiles with graphics on to get square, clean, well readable symbols and then I display 105x65 tiles, which gives a nice overview. I tried 8x8 fonts, but this was just too small for my eyes.
The problem I have with most graphic tilesets is an incoherent style. There are tiles in every tileset I have seen so far which are really out of place and are an annoyance to the eyes. Also 16x16 pixels simply don't allow enough details to merit "graphics" IMO.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

SirGelatina

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:52 pm »

Dude, i'd really love to see your suggestion implemented. I can't play with the curses font. I can't understand it. I have to use graphical tilesets >_>

However, as Obsidean_00 said, there should be some way to switch between graphical and ASCII mode.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:17 am »

Here's another person who has only played with ASCII. It would irritate me to have to waste time and download limit on graphics that I don't want and never need. DF doesn't need to have graphics, the people need to learn to see in ASCII (it's not even difficult).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:16 am »

I, for one, enjoy graphics tilesets. They look more attractive to me. Perhaps I'm not a TROO SONIC FAN or whatnot, but heck, I like tilesets.

It all depends, I suppose. Some people enjoy graphics, some do not. If Toady is working on this game solely for himself, no amount of graphics lovers will sway him. If he is not, then if enough people desire graphics, presumably he'd be persuaded to work on that.

I realize that many people like ASCII more. To each his own. And though I hold a different viewpoint, I accept that it's a subjective matter, and I'd rather you not imply that people who like tilesets are somehow lazy or inferior.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:09 am »

I don't think that anybody here is suggesting the game be limited to either sprite-style graphics or ASCII-style graphics at all.

There's absolutely no reason why either should be the case, and an argument over which is better has no bearing on the fact that the font should be separate from item graphics, and that the object tileset should be more expandable.

You shouldn't have to "switch between modes" any more than you do right now. That would be a step backwards from what we already have.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »

I'd just like to remind everybody that Toady said in the last DF talk that he would be addressing the top 10 eternal suggestions in the next few updates - in which graphics is pretty high up there.   He even said that he would do "something" about the graphics, and if it's not enough, then the item will crawl back up to the top and he'll do more until most people are happy with it.  If you want him to do it faster, vote it up on the eternal suggestions list.  Making bitchy threads about it is just stupid and brings out the ASCII brigade to start a flame war.

Edit: Yeah, this thread is ancient.  Who necro'd it?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2010, 06:59:20 pm »

I wouldn't mind a tileset as long as there was still an option for ascii because I hate tilesets, ascii allows me to see it how I want, this C is a cat, well it is tan with a white tail.
This dwarf has a green beard because he is a dye producer and his beard got in the way once.
and so forth.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2010, 10:39:00 am »

ascii allows me to see it how I want, this C is a cat, well it is tan with a white tail.
This dwarf has a green beard because he is a dye producer and his beard got in the way once.
and so forth.
The Matrix has you.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:20 pm »

ascii allows me to see it how I want, this C is a cat, well it is tan with a white tail.
and so forth.
The Matrix has you.

One of my mates said the same thing when he described DF to me so long ago.

Cypher: All I see now is soapmaker, stonemason, fortress guard.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2010, 03:14:45 pm »

I agree with obsidean that it should be possible to switch between modes. Even if the game ever became 3D I would want to be able to use ASCII. Because I feel that my imagination surpasses all graphics, mostly.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10