Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Here's a neat game i came upon (check last post first)  (Read 54441 times)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a neat game i came upon
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2008, 06:32:19 am »

The game is normally played online. So any computer (Mac or PC) connected to the internet should be able to play. Even dial-up is OK. An 800x600 screen (or bigger) is recommended.

There will also be a version of the game that can be downloaded once and played later without an internet connection. This is a great back-up if your internet connection is unreliable. Please note, if you don't play in the online game, you won't be able to compete in the school competitions.

Windows XP Download
 http://electrocity.co.nz
http://electrocity.co.nz/Flash/ElectroCity_Windows.zip

http://robocode.sourceforge.net/

http://wwd-games.com/themerchant/
not functional yet...may never be...space merchant/merchant empires clone
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:39:14 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2008, 01:39:15 pm »

There's an expansion now for Space Rangers 2, Space Rangers 2: Reboot.  It's available on Stardock's somewhat buggy distribution system, Impulse.

One thing about SR2 that really bugged me was buying equipment in planets, every time you moused over a piece of equipment these annoying sounds would play, it really was a detriment to the enjoyment level of the game.  I think they've fixed this in the expansion, I didn't notice it at all.

They've also added a hardcore mode where it only saves when you leave a planet.  It's a nice middle ground from what I used to do for a hardcore mode, which was not to reload if I died.  There are a lot of nice improvements in the expansion.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2008, 02:24:58 pm »

There's an expansion now for Space Rangers 2, Space Rangers 2: Reboot.  It's available on Stardock's somewhat buggy distribution system, Impulse.

One thing about SR2 that really bugged me was buying equipment in planets, every time you moused over a piece of equipment these annoying sounds would play, it really was a detriment to the enjoyment level of the game.  I think they've fixed this in the expansion, I didn't notice it at all.

They've also added a hardcore mode where it only saves when you leave a planet.  It's a nice middle ground from what I used to do for a hardcore mode, which was not to reload if I died.  There are a lot of nice improvements in the expansion.

How are they protecting against piracy in the new version?  Do they give you some kind of activation key?

Edit:  Oh, I see.  It requires the original game.

I heard a rumor somewhere that SR2 got a patch which removes the starforce protection.  Anyone know if that's true?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:27:23 pm by lumin »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2008, 02:33:57 pm »

The Reboot (Often appropriately called Reloaded) is usually available without copy protection. The russian licensed version is that way, and has the original Rangers bundled with it as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:18 pm »

The Reboot (Often appropriately called Reloaded) is usually available without copy protection. The russian licensed version is that way, and has the original Rangers bundled with it as well.

So it has SR 1 with it, but does the expansion include the original SR2 game (before reboot), or is it a "stand-alone" expansion that requires the pre-reboot game to run?

Sorry, I'm just a little confused.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:43:25 pm by lumin »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »

The one we russians get has SR1, SR2+exp, and bonus materials, all without any copy protection whatsoever. I heard that there is a "patch" expansion to SR2, but here it always sold as this handy package. It's a damn fine piece of design, btw. The game, I mean. It even manages to make trading exciting. Especially when you have to cut through a dominator-infested system with a full cargo bay to get a good profit.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2008, 02:21:20 am »

Lumin I'm just wondering where you heard that Space Rangers 2 had starforce?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2008, 02:43:40 am »

It did in Russia. It might have had Securom in other countries.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2008, 02:54:19 am »

Space Rangers 2: Reboot - So what exactly is new in this epansion?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2008, 06:21:58 am »

New quests, new RTS mode maps, new kinds of equipment. More of the same. Actually, if you get is as just an expansion, it's not really required, the game's good as it is (though the extra quests are hilarious). However, it also updates the game with all the latest patches. And if you know how/where to get it, it will also come with the first Rangers (so you can see how it started), a bundle of fanmade and official bonuses (like art/minigames), plus of course the removal of whatever copy protection the original had.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:53 pm »

Also the Reboot version allows you to play any of the RTS maps directly, from the main menu of the game.  A small bonus but it's cool.

The Stardock version of SR2 has always been copy-protection free.  The original release had starforce which turned a lot of people off from the game.  As far as I know, Stardock were the first ones to release a copy without the Starforce protection.

You have to buy the original, then buy the expansion, from Stardock's Impulse service.  It sounds like there's better deals out there but I don't know anything about them.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2008, 08:46:43 pm »

Lumin I'm just wondering where you heard that Space Rangers 2 had starforce?

I bought the game shortly after it was released in the USA.  It had starforce protection.

So this one requires the SR2 to run.  Anybody have a link for the complete package?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:56:16 pm by lumin »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2008, 08:05:43 am »

You could, you know, go back into the Adventure section and scroll down a few lines.

Space Rangers Complete. ::)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:15 am »

-Blackthorne
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20