Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Here's a neat game i came upon (check last post first)  (Read 54412 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a neat game i came upon
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

X2: The Threat is an awesome game, and it's free on GameTap.

It's a space sim whose scope surpasses DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART's Battlecruiser games, allowing bounty hunting, trading, piracy, passenger transport, freight hauling, production, and even full-blown fleet management as potential ways to bring in money and advance yourself.  It has a dynamic economy that functions based on supply and demand, and one can quickly make money by buying a factory's products and selling them to a factory that uses said product as a resource.  The prices fluctuate based on how much of a resource or product the factory has.
If you have enough money you can even buy your own factories from the shipyard and set them up, but you'll require a very large ship(The Human version is called a Mammoth) to carry the station.  Once you've made enough money(Or if you win the lottery, it's a very low chance, but one jackpot I saw was over 78 billion credits) you can buy a capital ship and your own fleet.  The game has tiny monitors on the corners of your screen you can activate to see turrets, computer-controlled ships, and other assorted goodness, and you can purchase software for ships that makes them as good(Or better, if you suck) as you for doing tasks, and they can even be used to trade while you're off grappling with giant Kha'ak(Had to, sorry, you'll see in a minute)

I haven't gotten far enough into the game to determine the quality of the storyline, but character models and voice acting are both lacking, probably due to the fact that the spaceships own so hard.  All I know is that there are geometric aliens known as the Kha'ak(Pronounced the way you think, I don't know what the writer was thinking when he did that, jokes abound) and you fight them, or something, I've only beaten the second mission(Which sucks by the way, without giving away the plot, imagine flying a 747 with a forcefield and impenetrable armor, being chased by quadraplegics in MiG jets.  It was cool as first, as I flew across the surface of the human flagship, The Argon One, chased by pirates, and turned the whole ship sideways to fly between the fire of two heavy turrets on the surface of the ship; but eventually it became frustrating and tedious, because my turret couldn't kill the enemies, and I had to rely on fighter support.

Other than capital ship combat, which I haven't seen enough to pass judgment upon, combat is nothing to really write home about.  Mouse or Joystick based flight, try to aim at the little moving circle.  Turrets are a bit sluggish, and seem to really love inertia, so you'll overshoot the lead indicator a lot.  It's best to just give it computer control and fly the ship, as the computer is a crack shot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there are some minor flaws in the game world that could damage suspension of disbelief if you're a hardcore roleplayer.  When you request docking permission, the automated interaction system says "Positive" instead of "Affirmative".  Quantum Tubes are also known as Planck Tubes, despite the fact that in the X Universe Earth is an almost mythical place, and no one has seen it in hundreds or maybe thousands of years.  It's very unlikely they'd know about Max Planck.  This isn't that serious though, the rest of the game is very good, and it's not nearly as obtuse as the Battlecruiser games.

I'm not good at conclusions.  Post is over.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2008, 07:31:00 am »

Have you ever played Freelancer?  It's certainly not as involved as that.  Essentially, you shoot stuff.  But you can also fly really rally long distances to trade massive amounts of goods for a little bit of profit.

The combat was fun though, as having dogfights in space is quite a bit of fun.  You can't automate any of your own turrets, however...  You have to control everything yourself.  But there are some fun things...  For instance, the ability to go into a "cruise" where you charge up your engines and fly at very high speeds, sacrificing your ability to use weapons.  Not that fun, I know, but here's the cool bit:  press the "cut engine" key, and you end up in Newtonian flight where you can drift around and just look at the scenery as you continue in qhatever direction you were going.  Well, in Newtonian flight, you can shoot your guns.

Cruise + cut engines = shooting stuff while doing a fly-by at cruising speeds.

And although the game will show you a long and tedious trade route for delivering cargo, there are "shortcuts"...  I've only found one, but it's well worth it.

Now, you can choose to side yourself with the law or against it, all depending on what y'all decide to do.  If you make friends with the outlaws, you gain access to a couple rogue stations, both of which buy and sell a certain narcotic.

One has significantly higher prices for it than the other, and if you try to make a trade route between the two you're in for one hellishly long trip.  However, there's a wormhole that connect the two bases that the pathmaker won't pick up.  If you use the hole, you're essentially just popping next door to sell at around 100% profits.  And when you're using the largest cargo ship in the game (can be bought from outlaws...) you can carry several hundred units of a very expensive narcotic in just such a manner.  After a few trips where I couldn't even afford to fill the ship, I eventually had enough money that I never needed to do anything else after that.

The game also has an insane amount of space to explore, including two "easter egg" planets that are ridiculously hard to find unless you know where you're going.  They're in the unmapped "outer limits".

But I wouldn't really suggest buying it at this point, unless you can find a really nice price.  It gets slightly dull after a time, and there's not a whole lot you can do except try to scavenge all the unique wrecks in the outer limits for the prototype weaponry that they're carrying.

Y'know, I've been trying to find a good Wild West game for a while...  I've almost been tempted to give dwarves revolvers and call it good, but I know that won't really work out all that well...

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

X3 is insanely good.  The add-on and graphics mod make this a huge, wonderfull sandbox game.  No thumbs required.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

I"m trying out x2 now.  Any type of game with a sandbox world gets me excited (no, it doesn't have anything to do with the Kha'ak race).

Speaking of great space sims, anybody played Space Rangers 2?  I bought it when it first came out and had a blast with it.  It has a true economy, supply/demand system and tons of different gameplay modes.  It's semi-turnbased, but it works really well when using tactics in combat.  The only drawback to the game is the starforce protection on the CD.  So if really want to play it, you'll probably have to find it for sale on amazon or ebay somewhere (unless there is a crack somewhere that I don't know about).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

If you like Noctis, X2 and X3, and are not afraid of a learning curve with a steepness that is a quadratical funtion of DF's learning curve:
try BCM gold (Battle Cruiser Millenium Gold)
Freeware. Originally a commercial project but abandoned before completion. Development taken over by community after release of source.
Huge galaxy with planets teeming with civilisation. You can land on or beam to planets, walk and shoot there like in a FPS. Planetary bases are very detailed with all kinds of strategic buildings and units. And then there is the universe and fleet command.
#d graphics comparable to X3:Reunion
Warning: definitely not an easy game. Very minimal manual.
The game in its present form is created partly by its fanbase, like Noctis NICE
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

i liked the space combat in Space Rangers 2...i wish they would make a war game using that combat system.  The RPG stuff got kind of annoying.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Are you joking?  X3's graphics blow anything DEREK SMART makes out of the water.  Tech support is awful, he'll just yell at you and tell you you're too stupid to play HIS game.  He threatens anyone who gives him an honest review with a lawsuit, and is surrounded by a clique of fanboys who act JUST LIKE HIM. I think this was his goal in making the game, attract a squad of elitists to stroke his ego.  He got his PhD from a diploma mill, and refuses to acknowledge the fact.  And I haven't even gotten started on the game itself.

Interface is deliberately obtuse, looking more like you're piloting a Vietnam era helicopter than a sophisticated futuristic space ship.  I guess DEREK SMART doesn't think people in the future will use their technology to streamline things.  FPS mode is awful beyond comprehension, it looks like he made it in an hour.  Space Combat, for all the complexity, gets very repetitive after an hour or so of killing ships.  There's two modes, mission and free roam, but mission is basically the same as free roam.  The basic idea is that it's this big sandbox where you can do whatever you want and roleplay your own stories, but there's no communication, no news, I mean, I know something great is happening somewhere, with huge ships battling over planets, and conquest, but since there's no news feed, and no way to find out something's going on, there's no way to find out where anything is.

To top it all off, the man himself is an egotistical psychopath.  Don't believe me?  Google his name.

You probably won't have to though, he'll be here soon.  He always comes...

Shoes...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

I keep getting CTD's after a short time (but that may be because of Vista) in BC.  I really like that he put thought into having a real crew, and being able to control their actions.  Feels a little like Star Trek.  I really don't understand the hard-rock music,it doesn't match the ambience at all.  I would think a music style from 2001/2010 or Aliens would be a much better fit.

Does anyobdy know how to load a shuttle with crew members? I've read/re-read the manual and it is very vague on it's instructions.  Can I land my mother ship on a planet, or do I have to use a shuttle?

I like the idea here, but this game is so clunky.  Also, the advantage Noctis has is the random universe.  What fun is exploration if you can only go to a few hard-coded planets over and over? I like that you can leave your ship and float around (not sure what the point is though), and to be able to land on planets and walk around, but I wish you could actually get up and walk around your ship to pass the time on a journey.

So are there any other space sims like this where you can actually move about your ship, and land on planets (I don't think x2 does this, does it?), but with maybe a little more interface polish?

Edit: Which mods are recommended with X3?  I found the Xtended mod.  Are there any others, or is the XTM the end-all, be-all mod?

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
So are there any other space sims like this where you can actually move about your ship, and land on planets (I don't think x2 does this, does it?), but with maybe a little more interface polish?

I think I may have answered my own question:
http://www.parkan.ru/p2en/faq.php

This game seems to have just about everything I'm looking for.  Anybody played it?

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Here's another obscure one, similar to above with a seamless universe and the ability to enter a planet's atmosphere.  This one seems to have gotten better player feedback than Parkan 2.
http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/evochronrenegades/features.htm

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

I've played the earlier version of Evochron (it was long time ago).
It looks like the game develops fast (at least looking at the screenshots with scycrapers on the planet), because when I played it the planets were mere spheres with atmosphere without any features on them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »

wandering through the RPG codex forums:
http://www.dzikosoft.com/rpg-xls/system.html
some other excel games in his library, too.

http://www.ashfordgames.com/webgames/spacefleet.php

www.ashfordgames.com/kingdom.exe

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: yamo ]

-Blackthorne

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

I hear that StarWriath 4 and Riftspace have been released as freeware. I can't download them though. The links just redirect me to the homepage.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I'm really surprised that the Evochron Renegade's full download is only 25MB considering it uses a seamless galaxy and some pretty nice graphics.

Wow, like Toady, there is only one developer for it and he also responds very quickly to forum posts and suggestions.  Just browsing the forums, he has a lot of plans for upcoming updates of the game, including bigger/more sprawling cities, planet life-forms and a whole lot more.  

This may warrant starting up a whole new thread of this game since the development is still so active.

Here's the forum: http://www.starwraith.com/forum

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: lumin ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

I played Evochron recently. Probably what I disliked was that you couldn't customize your ship quite to the extent that I expected from the system it displayed. Also, DarkBasic. I'm surprised he's made it run that well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20