Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Here's a neat game i came upon (check last post first)  (Read 54398 times)

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Here's a neat game i came upon (check last post first)
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

http://www.asciisector.net/   :) <P>But i have not tried it yet...'ill use this post to list other ..ok?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:34:33 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a neat game i came upon
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Hehehe, I posted the exact same thing in the Various Nonsense forum. I've been following this game for awhile, and was part of the original beta. 'Tis very fun, and deserves praise.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

Yes, Noctis deserves to be noticed. It, like DF, spawned a community revolved around it. And of course, it's also made by a single developer.

It doesn't have any goals, but it doesn't need one. Being able to explore a galaxy of 78 billion stars, each having their own unique planetary systems complete with planets you can land on, is more than enough.

There is even a new version in the works, with some new features and a completely revised 3D engine. It also breaks away from the old DOS framework. It'll be coming out someday... though the day of that someday is unknown.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

Noctis is totally awesome!  In fact it's my second favorite game of all time (after Dwarf Fortress of course).

I even put a little review on my site a while back.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

I have the Noctis controls figured out... but I'm having trouble believing my display is working properly. All the screenshots I see look kind of pretty... but on my display, I have to walk up to point-blank range before I can even start to read the words on my ship's HUD. And then I have to strafe back and forth to see the other stuff that's being displayed. I'd kind of like to be able to back up and control it all from the same view, but I literally CANNOT read it from more than a few steps back.

And when I land on a planet, I just see a fuzzy white line indicating the horizon, complete with hills and whatnot. But it's just pure black under it, and pure black above it. Aren't planets occasionally supposed to have... well... NON BLACK surfaces?

I can't find any option to reset the resolution or display settings, so I figure I'm probably stuck with it the way it is...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:49:00 am »

To the first issue, it's normal. Once you get the controls downpat it's an non-issue, since right click while moving the mouse allows you to strafe at that distance from the screen. The "Community Edition" of Noctis has some improvements, one of which lets you turn off the blur filter in the ship... that can help.

And to the second issue, that's common for planets on the far fringes of a solar system, or around very dim stars.
And some extra helpful tips, thin atmosphere planets are somewhat buggy in the normal version, and tend to be very, very dark, even if they're really close to the star. I think this is fixed in CE.
And thick atmosphere planets tend to have cloud cover preventing sunlight from getting to the surface. Light spots on those planets tend to be pure black. Dark spots are thinner cloud cover and you can land in those, and usually can see normally.
Also, CE has some visual filters that change or enhance your vision. They might help on nearly dark planets.

[ October 11, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

I would highly recommend you play using the latest fan-made version of Noctis CE (Noctis NICE).  It fixes a LOT of bugs, adds new features, like being able to land on molten planets and adding a lot of new lifeforms.

Also, I've found that the most interesting planets reside in systems with suns similar to our own.  Also, you'll typically find life on the planets that are not too hot and not too cold.

Although I've played Noctis for a long time, I actually prefer exploring planets with no life at all as these seem to have the most diverse landscapes.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

speaking of ascii games, http://www.robotfindskitten.org
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Garry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

Noctis sucks, you cant use the gun on the space ship and i'ts grafix are bad to.
uh duh duh- duh duh!
(That''s BATMAN THEAM, dummy!)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

The troll is strong with this one.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Blackthorne

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

Noctis V has been my Duke Nukem Forever for the last -many- years.   :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

I can't run Noctis on vista and it sounds great and it says the system doesn't support fullscreen help help HELP!!!  :(
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

You might want to send a horde of elephants after Microsoft.  Noctis is a DOS program, and DOS support has been slowly eroded from Windows for the past few years now.  Vista has practically no (if any at all) DOS support.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20