Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Argh! Where Eagles Dare  (Read 1954 times)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
Argh! Where Eagles Dare
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:45 pm »

So there I was, congratulating myself on the smooth running of the fort, when I noticed a yellow flash on the ticker: someone throwing a tantrum.  I look at the "a" log:

Unib Betanfath, Child, has been struck down.
Lolor Toralinod, Child, has been struck down.
"Catty" Razzon, Siege Engineer cancels Recover Wounded: Interrupted by Skeletal Giant Eagle
Amost Atiskib, Child has been struck down.
"Furny" Rakustken, Clothier is throwing a tantrum!

Argh!  They were attending a party in a small room in the very centre of the fortress.  The damn eagle must have used ninja skills to sneak in, past all the fortress guards and royal guards, past a hundred and fifty dwarfs without being noticed in the slightest - there were no other messages about interruption until Catty tried to rescue one of them - and then tore apart the three children in seconds.  Their bodies are scattered around in small bits.

Catty dispatched the eagle with an axe to the skull, but the real bad news is that the three were siblings... the only children of poor Furny the Clothier.  Who is understandably going mental.  :(

Ninja skills, though.  That was the l33735t eagle in the land.   :o  And to add insult to injury it was called "Simpletone".   :D

(edit)

Oh, grim!  She went to the scene of the slaughter and picked up Lolor's right lower arm, and was hauling it to the tomb when suddenly she went into a tantrum and hurled it across the fort, leaving a trail of blood.   :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:05:35 pm by John Johnston »
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Argh! Where Eagles Dare
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:08:15 pm »

is there any kind of airway path to the outside?   they do fly after all.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:12:30 pm »

That is amusing when it happens, only had it once though and that wasn't even as 'ninja' as yours.
Good thing it was only children, i've even gotten rid of them myself - dumped mother and 5 kids down a chasm, the adult sibling that didnt die, Unhappy but did not get moody, drowned his sorrow in my legendary dining hall.
And i do not mean in the waterfall.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 04:20:26 pm »

The giant eagles I see are usually content sitting around somewhere close to the entrance to the fortress and scare my dwarves. Never had one get all crazy and go into my fort.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:37:57 pm »

undead are more aggressive.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:29:01 pm »

is there any kind of airway path to the outside?   they do fly after all.

Yes, there's a variety of entrances to the air, but it still must have sneaked past the whole fort's worth of dwarfs to get to that room!

...and I was wrong, the three casualties weren't the only children of Furny and her husband Strandy the Strand Extractor.  They had a fourth child, Hidey Lazeshtan.  Hidey couldn't take the loss of her siblings and went into an angry tantrum.  She knocked over some furniture and then when the mayor went to calm her down she beat up the mayor quite badly in the mayor's office.  Then she ran away and a guard followed her, and just before the guard would've grabbed her she attacked the guard and was cut down.  Furny had already been locked up for public order offences of her own, and the news that her last child had died sent her close to the edge of madness again...   ::)

Simpletone the giant eagle's skull has been made into a masterful totem.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:55:33 pm »

The giant eagles I see are usually content sitting around somewhere close to the entrance to the fortress and scare my dwarves. Never had one get all crazy and go into my fort.

That's what I used to say about the giant cave swallows fluttering about

Yeah well, one fateful day the western side of the mountain had to be declared forsaken and my dwarves retreated into the vault fort, never to see the light of day again. The bastards never come close to your marksmen, picking off only defenseless people. It's okay at first but then they start breeding en masse. You don't think much of it but then those hatchlings grow up and start breeding themselves

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:07 pm »

undead are more aggressive.

they lust for brainnns

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 04:20:30 am »

Then why go after DWARVES? ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:25:03 am by Marlowe »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:13:18 am »

I had an interesting experience with the local Skeletal eagles. First, i get a peasant with a broken arm. I have no idea how he got it. I'm in a badlands/mountain biome, no wood, no water bar the cave river (with zombie giant olm). The elves arrive shortly after, and it becomes a race against time to get a well set up (which i won).

Anyway, i get the message that someone is throwing a party (hall was just off to the side right near the entrance. As i'm looking around, i notice that my 13 dwarves are all bunched up down the corridor, closer to the fort. I then notice the eagle sitting just inside my front doors. I set my legendry minder, 6 other starting dwarves and the rest of the immigrants to swarm the eagle, and finally take it down: for the cost of my mason, brewer and a random peasant getting a broken appendage. I also notice that there's 2 eagle skulls in my stockpile.

Somehow, this peasant managed to kill a giant eagle with only a broken arm, while my entire fort, with a legendary miner took 3 casualties to kill the second one.

I also had a peasant get a broken limb to a skeletal mountain goat. Fun map, i must say.
Magma is overrated.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:08 am »

peasant killing a giant eagle with a broken arm? sorry woose, looks like Soapy has some competition!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:36 pm »

When why go after DWARVES? ???

Pfft. Dwarves don't have brains.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 03:11:54 pm »

When why go after DWARVES? ???

Pfft. Dwarves don't have brains.

I think that was his point.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

On the other hand, while small, they are soaked in various liquors.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:50 am »

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: [1] 2