Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions from a new player  (Read 836 times)

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions from a new player
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:25:56 am »

You're an interesting fellow Toad.  Great game!  Thanks for all the effort.

So I was playing around with levers and pressure plates, and the interactions when both are linked to the same door (or whatever) confuse me.  If a pressure plate would open a door, can I use a lever to toggle the state of the door such that the pressure plate would close it?

Do pressure plates send "off" signals (i.e. will that door that was just closed by water pressure open automatically when the water evaporates)?  The wiki entry wasn't clear.

If I set a pp to activate in 0-2 water, would it still be active in 3 deep water?  I would think not, but again the resources outside asking in a forum are unclear to me on this point.

How many items can you connect to levers/pps?

I was hoping to be able to rig my entry hall with a corridor of spike traps that are activated by a pressure plate in a room that will flood and drain automatically and repeatedly with a single pull of a lever to feed water into the system - turn off the water and the spikes stop moving, allowing caravan access.  The pp would be activated by 5-7 units of water.  When active, the hatch feeding water into the 1x1 room would close and a drain door would open (would installing a drainage pump be worthwhile?  I thought no because draining a 1x1 room from 7 to 4 should happen quickly), and of course the corridor of spike traps would be activated.  When the room drains, the drainage door closes and the feed hatch opens, setting off the traps again . . .

Is this possible?

If I built the corridor outside and a good distance away from the cave opening, and put a floor over it to force flying creatures into the kill zone, would dwarves consider the corridor to be "inside" for the purpose of telling them to not go outside (to keep them out of the trap while allowing for a path to lure goblins in)?

The wiki says you can use up/down staircases as scaffolding.  When I build an up/down staircase on the surface, I am not given the option of building a 2nd one on top of the first (no access to materials error).  Thus far, all my outdoor constructs have involved ramps and the ramp up to the roof has had to be walled around on z-1 - it would be much handier to know how to use de-constructible scaffolding.

Will food in barrels that are never unloaded from the wagon rot?  What if I build a pillbox around the wagon, so that it is considered "indoors"?  Will booze ever go bad from being outside and not in a stockpile?

Is there a Dwarf Foreman like utility that works with 40d?  Or a good way to cycle through dwarves with AHK (to turn off a labor for all dwarves for example, so you can turn it on for a few individuals you want to get experienced)?

Thanks in advance for any time spent replying.

-A.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions from a new player
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:01:02 am »

Barreled goods including drink don't go bad. At least my turtles never did

You are supposed to build Up Staircase - Up/Down Staircase - Down Staircase

Dwarves stay inside command sends them to the nearest subterranean meeting zone. IE if yours is roofed over with say, glass, they will simply freeze in place and get murdered. Constructed roof won't count as inside as far as the order is concerned

The workshop P menu lets you set minimum and maximum skill levels admitted into the building and/or select specific dwarves that can use the building. Might serve as a temporary workaround for training specific dwarves if you don't find that utility
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:04:31 am by Pilsu »

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:59:24 am »

That "dwarves stay indoors" setting is bit poorly phrased IMO. It should read "dwarves stay underground" to leave no room for ambiguity - indoors is not necessarily underground. For example, a guard tower you've constructed.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:33:07 am »

If a pressure plate would open a door, can I use a lever to toggle the state of the door such that the pressure plate would close it?

No. At the moment, a pressure plate will always open the door when activated, and close the door when deactivated. Also, the lever would always open the door when moved to the right, and close the door when moved to the left, regardless of the pressure plate's state at that time.

Basically, whenever a lever or pressure plate changes state, a signal will be sent to all connected devices. This will cause them all to react accordingly to the new state of that specific trigger, regardless of the current state of any other connected levers or pressure plates.

Do pressure plates send "off" signals (i.e. will that door that was just closed by water pressure open automatically when the water evaporates)?  The wiki entry wasn't clear.

Yes, a pressure plate will send an "off" signal when it is no longer being pressed. However, there is a short delay between the pressure plate not being pressed anymore, and the pressure plate sending the "off" signal. The pressure plate will stay dark in color during this delay after being deactivated, and will change to a light color from the moment it pops up and sends the "off" signal. If it is activated again while it still appears dark, it will continue to remain pressed, and no "on" or "off" signal will be sent at that point.

If I set a pp to activate in 0-2 water, would it still be active in 3 deep water?  I would think not, but again the resources outside asking in a forum are unclear to me on this point.

No, the pressure plate would deactivate as soon as the water depth had stayed at 3 or more for a brief period.

How many items can you connect to levers/pps?

It seems to be an unlimited amount.

Is there a Dwarf Foreman like utility that works with 40d?  Or a good way to cycle through dwarves with AHK (to turn off a labor for all dwarves for example, so you can turn it on for a few individuals you want to get experienced)?

I haven't tried it yet, but you may wish to look at codewright's Dwarf Manager.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:39:25 am by Tayrin »

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:26:42 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.  I guess I'll have to re-engineer my waterworks.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:00:40 pm »

I've been trying to connect all the upright spikes in my entrance pit to a single lever. About 150 of them. Takes a long time, but no problem so far.