Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: this is the least terrifying ocean ever  (Read 2152 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
this is the least terrifying ocean ever
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:33:15 am »

so yeah, i made a new world and started a new fort on the shore of a terrifying ocean with mirthful land apparently. i started this map extremely paranoid because its my first terrifying map, so the moment i had control i found a spot to dig, then dug and put a door behind me asap. on closer investigation though, my map wasn't very dangerous at all! their was NOTHING in the ocean, and only normal groundhogs on the land.

the only real threat is from the oddly large herds of animals that spawn on the map. its groundhogs one minute, horses the next, then elk, then a frickin' zerg rush of macaques, in that order.

so i have two hunters (one temporarily immobilized due to a tussle with the elk, beat the shit out of a horse before goin down though.) and the meat market is good. the way i've set up my land though means i have very little land to work with, so thats good i suppose, less to worry about.

what was interesting though was when the first batch of dwarven traders came, they're guards when frickin berserk! they laid they're eyes on the hordes of elk, horses, and groundhogs and they realized that they must KILL THEM ALL! it was truly awe-inspiring, seeing a mace dwarf corner like 5 groundhogs and 3 horses and bludgeon them all to death for no reason. then the mob of macaques showed up and got slaughtered as soon as they spawned! then the elk wondered in and now theirs elk bodies everywhere. blood, blood is everywhere, bodies are everywhere, the gore is all-encompassing! because of the way my moat was set up, all the animals were cornered so easily! they didn't stand a chance.

my dwarves are getting so much free meat and leather from these guys. its ridiculous.

If these animals respawn endlessly throughout the year.. hmm... this gives me an idea for a way to train my military AND feed my fort.

so anyway, isn't a terrifying ocean supposed to be like, terrifying? i'm just not feeling it.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: this is the least terrifying ocean ever
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:51:51 am »

You won't be saying that the first time a mob of zombie sharks show up

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:38 am »

They can fly over land. You're dead.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:18:30 am »

Give it time. I think you can only have wild creatures/monsters on the map from one biome at a time. It's surprising that such a vast majority of the spawns have been from the mirthful land, though...

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:26:47 am »

Hell hath no fury like Zombie Whales emerging to demolish your city to the ground

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:38:19 am »

And lo! The heavens were thrust asunder! And unto the world, the horrible flying zombie whales emerged unto thy land! Cower in fear, thy Bell tolls for you!
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:06:14 pm »

Give it time. I think you can only have wild creatures/monsters on the map from one biome at a time.
In a similar situation, I have a locked corridor full of zombie tuna (don't ask) and I'm still getting rhesus macaque attack squads on the surface, so you can apparently have both at the same time.  It took a while for the zombies to turn up, though.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »

It's luck.  I've had terrifying forest that never birthed more than the odd skeletal deer or zombie fox.  And then I've had savage mountains where the dwarves embark on a mountain peak...right next to a skeletal giant eagle.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 01:28:41 pm »

In a similar situation, I have a locked corridor full of zombie tuna (don't ask) and I'm still getting rhesus macaque attack squads on the surface, so you can apparently have both at the same time.  It took a while for the zombies to turn up, though.

Know what? I don't care. That sounds way too interesting to not tell about. I demand an epic poem telling of the zombie tuna invasion!

NCarter

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling body parts
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nether.org.uk/
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 01:49:37 pm »

Know what? I don't care. That sounds way too interesting to not tell about. I demand an epic poem telling of the zombie tuna invasion!
Oh, alright. ;)

About twenty (I think) zombie tuna rolled up on the beach in the Summer of the first year, then proceeded to crawl all over the forest for a month or so before settling on another part of the beach, right next to my entrance.  Having had a previous close call with a skeletal eel, I called everyone inside and kept the doors locked as much as possible.  Autumn came, traders arrived, and the zombie fish just sat there, watching....

The traders packed up and left safely, but the liaison was still following the expedition leader around, trying to get him to sit down for a meeting.  Suddenly, the fish all leapt up and charged towards the entrance to the subterranean depot.  I locked the door, leaving the fish crawling around in the depot for a bit before they gave up and wandered back to the beach.

Finally, the liaison managed to finish all the meetings and was ready to go.  Experimentally, I opened one of the doors, and instantly all the fish jumped up again.  OK, let's keep that door locked!  I scratched my head for a bit, then came up with the solution of digging a long tunnel to the edge of the map and letting the liaison leave that way.  Again, the moment the tunnel broke the surface, the fish came running, and it was pretty amusing watching the fish on the surface racing the liaison in the tunnel. :D  He escaped, and I locked the door at the tunnel mouth before the fish got in.

So, how do I get rid of these fish?  Simple solution: put a door at both ends of the long corridor, invite them in, then lock both ends.  They can stay there until the goblins arrive.  I'm sure you know what I have in mind.

One last thing....  As a test, I thought I'd send my lone woodcutter with moderate axedwarf skills up against the Corridor of Death Fish.  He chopped one into pieces, then his arms and legs were instantly ripped off by three or four more.  I guess I should make some armour before trying that again!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 02:03:17 pm »

wow, only in this game man would you get sieged by undead fish that telekineticly know the only entrance into the fort.

anyway, the map i'm on also has an aquifer. thing is, i don't know what an aquifer is. i've read the wiki article, but thats not very helpful. from what i've read, it sounds like a unit of stone that water will spill out of or into forever, completely warping the logic of actual aquifers.

i haven't run into an aquifer yet, so how should i prepare myself?

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 02:29:02 pm »

wow, only in this game man would you get sieged by undead fish that telekineticly know the only entrance into the fort.

anyway, the map i'm on also has an aquifer. thing is, i don't know what an aquifer is. i've read the wiki article, but thats not very helpful. from what i've read, it sounds like a unit of stone that water will spill out of or into forever, completely warping the logic of actual aquifers.

Make giant corkscrews, pipe sections, and blocks for pumping. Make sure to have something sitting around to build walls to block the water. And some wood for windmills. They aren't too bad, just more annoying as the dwarves will suspend the wall building when the water flows too deep.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

popers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:36:06 pm »

buy a swimming suit. Might come in handy.
It's not like I haven't tried, but building a mech out of bridges may be a tad above my engineering skill.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:54:58 pm »

Why the hell haven't dwarves invented the snorkel?

Klapaucius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:00:23 pm »

Why the hell haven't dwarves invented the snorkel?

One did, but his beard kept getting in the way of it.
Pages: [1] 2