Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sand+Magma+Water=?  (Read 1268 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Sand+Magma+Water=?
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:42 pm »

So... I have infinite sand. I have infinite magma. I have infinite water.
Project "Octahedron" is completed and project "Octahedron 2" is almost completed. I need some grand idea of a megeproject, including glass, magma, water or obsidian. Or everything at once. Ideas?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Sand+Magma+Water=?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:09:12 am »

i made a smiliar thread like that too and it got lost in the deepths of the forum :(
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:10:49 am »

Build a tower which has permeating hollow 3x3 walls; the hollow is where the magma goes.

Mine out a lake around the tower and fill it with water.

Set up booze/magma bombs in order to start wildfires on command.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:34 am »

Build a... let's say 20x20 vertical glass tower aboveground, to the very top Z-level. Leave the interior empty.

Set up at least two pump systems on the outside of this tower to bring water and magma up to the top floor and send it down into the tower.

And thus, make a 20x20x13 or so block of obsidian.

Actually, that doesn't really use the glass, does it?... can you stud/encrust with glass? Putting some on everything in the fort that isn't nailed down would be amusing.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:13:27 am »

1-Build a huge reservoir entirely made of glass at the very highest level of your map, supported by whatever you like. Dot the bottom of the reservoir with hatch covers connected to underground levers. Using thousands of pumps, fill the reservoir with magma, and keep your pump tower running. Set all the levers to repeat, and a couple of dwarves dedicated only to that. Magma is raining down the skies. Survive. For extra fun, build a water reservoir somewhat lower than the magma's, and see what happens out of curiosity (obsidian blocks piercing holes through the reservoir?)

2-Build a really grand fort (or statue, or whatever), with every wall made of 2 layers of glass with one empty layer in between (W . W). Fill the empty zones with magma, cool all that. Way to lose several hours of your life.

3-Build a totally useless dwarven plane. A wooden cabin with a magma furnace fitted inside, for energy, and two raising drawbridges connected to levers inside, set to repeat, for wings (so the bird will flap). Extra point if it is totally autonomous, or if you can throw magma through its mouth, or if you fit a cat-apult on top of it, or if you build it very high, then collapse it in a desperate attempt to fly.

Post a save file. Or ignore me.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:27:40 am »

Build a... let's say 20x20 vertical glass tower aboveground, to the very top Z-level. Leave the interior empty.

Set up at least two pump systems on the outside of this tower to bring water and magma up to the top floor and send it down into the tower.

I'm currently doing this, except instead of 20x20x13, it's...um...70x40x22.

My god, placing those constructions is annoying. 

I also have sand, but no real use for glass at the moment.  I thought about making prison cells out of glass (to taunt the prisoners, y'know, "Ha, ha!  You're so weak you can't break out of a glass prison!") but have since then decided to use soap instead.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:16 am »

1-Build a huge reservoir entirely made of glass at the very highest level of your map, supported by whatever you like. Dot the bottom of the reservoir with hatch covers connected to underground levers. Using thousands of pumps, fill the reservoir with magma, and keep your pump tower running. Set all the levers to repeat, and a couple of dwarves dedicated only to that. Magma is raining down the skies. Survive. For extra fun, build a water reservoir somewhat lower than the magma's, and see what happens out of curiosity (obsidian blocks piercing holes through the reservoir?)
That I will certainly do. But after I get bored with other megaprojects and decide to destroy the fort. (although, I can try and do it for a small part of map.)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:26 am »

Build a tower which has permeating hollow 3x3 walls; the hollow is where the magma goes.

Mine out a lake around the tower and fill it with water.
And that I will do for now...
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:20:19 pm »

Build a Monolith.

1x4x9(integer multiples thereof. Must be 2x wide, at least.), out of smoothed obsidian. Not constructed, made in place. (big glass mold. You can build as you fill, sorta.)

Then smooth it. Legendary smoother on demand. All the scaffolding is glass.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 03:17:44 pm »

You could try what I'm working on.  I'm currently working on building a glass floor over the entire map, a couple z-levels up.  After that's complete, I'm going to build a giant obsidian tower in the middle of everything that extends down to the natural ground (past the glass floor). Finally, I'm going to flood the world with magma.

The map will be a barren hellscape, save for a few areas where caravans/siege can enter. But, under the ocean of magma, there will be a peaceful paradise. One where my herbalists can frolic about and pick strawberries without having to worry about those damn goblins...
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.