Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Suggestion Failpile (For Old Time's Sake)  (Read 18095 times)

ToXey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion Failpile (For Old Time's Sake)
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2009, 01:43:42 pm »

Concerning the problems with magic versus ordinary people, could be one of the following ideas: That magic, to a much greater extent than in other games, makes the mage neglect his body, and hollows out his health with forces unknown -> thus giving him strange marks that increase his aging, unless he manages to acheive immortality. Something like that'd make it much more fun for a dwarf not to dabble in magic.

*edit* ... oh, I seem to have necroed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:46:02 pm by ToXey »
-I slew Zolak! -It was inevitable.
-Any troubles? -Bandit Zolak is harassing our hamlet!
-Tell me about Zolak. -Zolak is dead.
-What do you think about me? -You are killer. You are also unhinged. You have perpetrated a violent attack upon Zolak.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll just quote this again since the thread's back and all.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll just quote this again since the thread's back and all.

There's totally a spell to solve the fact that that geek-wizard could be easily geeked cross-bow sniped.

Melsenschlap's 1-D Fighter

Description:Melsenschlap’s 1-D Fighter
makes the target quasi-intangible from
one direction, usually the rear. Typically,
the spell is cast on a fighter or other
character standing in front of the casting
wizard. Once the spell is cast, the wizard
can see and cast spells through the
target.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:25:33 pm by Draco18s »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2009, 06:16:40 pm »

Hehe, a meat-diode.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2009, 06:41:49 pm »

I only read the topic post... Captain Failmore is a genius.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2009, 07:02:38 pm »

Concerning the problems with magic versus ordinary people, could be one of the following ideas: That magic, to a much greater extent than in other games, makes the mage neglect his body, and hollows out his health with forces unknown -> thus giving him strange marks that increase his aging, unless he manages to acheive immortality. Something like that'd make it much more fun for a dwarf not to dabble in magic.

*edit* ... oh, I seem to have necroed.
I know it's a funny opening to the thread,  but why are you doing so much thread necroing?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2009, 09:29:57 pm »

Wow, that fail was epic.
Akur Akir Akam!

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2009, 01:54:06 am »

I'm not sure why people tend to assume fireballs when thinking of wizards.  Fireballs are tremendously inefficient.  The ignition point of flesh is somewhere north of 1000 celsius.  You should be able to rapidly exhaust someone wearing armor at 40-50 celsius.  Then your meat shield can then go ahead and kill them while you go take a nap.  Dropping enemies to below freezing isn't going to help their combat either in most cases. 

As I see it battle wizards (if implemented) should be force multipliers rather than doing actual damage.  Create bright lights temporarily blinding opponents, create a breeze to cool your soldiers, or maybe enhance the range of your archers while reducing the range of your enemies.  I'd like to see wizards that can't so much as give someone a light grey toe, but can only inflict and cure status effects. 

Actually, a wizard with no magic might be interesting.  You could use a small mirror to blind enemies if you were above ground and the sky was clear or a larger parabolic mirror and a candle for the same effect in a cave, and use grenades made out of a glass vial and some fire imp tallow for lighting fires.  I'm sure there's other wizardy stuff that could be done without magic, but that someone clever who wants to be respected could claim were magic. 

It might be particularly interesting to have both real and fake wizards and not be able to tell them apart except that fake wizards can only develop a narrow range of effects that are fakeable. 

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

Actually, a wizard with no magic might be interesting.  You could use a small mirror to blind enemies if you were above ground and the sky was clear or a larger parabolic mirror and a candle for the same effect in a cave, and use grenades made out of a glass vial and some fire imp tallow for lighting fires.  I'm sure there's other wizardy stuff that could be done without magic, but that someone clever who wants to be respected could claim were magic. 

Boffo.  For all your witching and wizarding needs.
Place your order now and get a pointy hat free!

Pointy hat comes standard with 12 small pouches, 4 medium pouches, and one large pouch--great for storing Boffo Trick Cards, Boffo Disappearing Coins, and instant smoke sticks.  Large pouch perfect size for secreting a rabbit.  Warning: do not keep rabbit in the hat for more than an hour.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:34:56 am by Draco18s »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]