Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Suggestion Failpile (For Old Time's Sake)  (Read 18099 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion Failpile (For Old Time's Sake)
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:56 am »

I like the horriefied face of the master who suddenly discovers that my elf draws an twohander and not this damn bow in an fight.

Hell yes and the sentence "Eats anything nondemonic that moves" i like about TDE Firnelves.

I mean elves are mostly seen as treehuging wizards with Bows and this combination is the real cheat if you have an crapy system cause "Power Word F*** you" is announced by and folowed by 3 Dozens arrows of "get of my lawn".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:24:54 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2008, 01:02:49 pm »

I have recently been reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, and the mages there are most definitely not your average mages. It takes place in an area where local wizards have little power in their blood for magic, and they have to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Meanwhile, two mages who have come from overseas where magic is more potent in the blood have managed to conquer eight of the nine provinces, and only one was spared because of political reasons. Of course, the large armies they brought made all the difference in not only conquering, but holding the territory they have. Which seems to me all the difference if we applying things to DF. We could have people who could cast spells that make people's organs jump out of their stomachs, and jump right back up their rears, and people would fear this person greatly. However, the wizard would still need an army of people without magic to conquer. He can't be everywhere at once. And having other people with magic can be a terrible thing once ambition is implemented. (how confident are you that your apprentice won't turn on you?)

Toady has said that magic is going to be different in various worlds, and malleable. Which I think is the best way to approach this because everyone has a different take on the way magic should be.

Also, Toady won't lose this topic due to names, because Imma bookmark it, and link it once he gets to the magic arc in five years time. :)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2008, 07:17:04 am »

I categorize and keep track of links of stuffs.  I shouldn't end up losing much.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2008, 10:20:57 am »

I categorize and keep track of links of stuffs.  I shouldn't end up losing much.

That's cool. I've created a categorized master list of suggestions before...I thought that the same suggestions won't be posted over and over again, but it failed badly.. :-X Ah well..

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2008, 09:22:23 pm »

pretty neat sketch.

sorta on topic:
I've always felt that paladins were kinda a cheat. So if roleplayed right, the player has pretty little choice in (sorry) his actions. The cheaty (beardy) part starts when the paladin ignores his higher calling and just becomes a warrior with magics.
D&D Paladins aren't that great anyway.  A good cleric can be a very powerful fighter using their magical buffs, while still being a master caster.  A paladin is a somewhat limited warrior, with weak magical abilities backing them up.  (Of course, the fact that 3.5e D&D paladins stop getting new class features after about level 6 has something to do with it, too.)

And it's not just in D&D.  In most games, you have the same problem -- if you're a master warrior, you can hit people with a sword really hard.  If you're a master spellcaster, you can make them fall down with spells real hard.  But if you're a fighter with spellcasting, then in most situations, you can only do one or the other at any given time -- you usually have a limited supply of actions, so having more options isn't as amazing as it sounds.

In most implementations, spell-fighter types (whether paladin or otherwise) get the joy of choosing between being a mediocre fighter or a mediocre spellcaster at any given time.  Whee.

Another major problem D&D had was that they intended to use 'armor restrictions' to limit wizards -- they thought that it was vitally important that wizards be squishy and go down in a few hits, so they heavily nerfed spell-warrior types on the theory that giving them armor was some huge major advantage that would unbalance the game unless they sucked at either spellcasting or fighting (or both).  In actuality, though, most of the time a spellcaster will want to operate from a distance anyway -- giving a spellcaster extra defense doesn't help them as much as you'd think (and taking it away doesn't balance their powers, either.)  Later fighter-mage implementations got the ability to wear medium/heavy armor while casting almost for free, as the D&D design team slowly realized that it wasn't really that good of an ability -- defense and casting are generally capabilities that support separate roles, not things that work well together.

Not that that matters so much for Dwarf Fortress.  (Although I don't like the Squishy Wizard stereotype, either -- I prefer The Black Company-style casters for the really powerful folks, who are not invulnerable but are damn hard to kill for good.)

What I'm saying is, the fact that Gandalf can wield a sword isn't really what makes him broken.  In fact, when he's wielding his sword he's at his least broken compared to the other things he can do.  Let characters master both spellcasting and combat if they want; they'll still be weaker at both than someone who spent all their time practicing one thing, and most of the time they'll only be able to do one thing at once anyway.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:28:37 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 10:51:39 pm »

I think I tl;dr a few of the posts in this topic, but a lot of the ones I've read were good ones.

Personally, I agree that magic in Dwarf Fortress mode should be rare. Not minor or ineffective - just rare. I think that sorcery should all-in-all have the same impact that artifacts do. I think that there should be skills such as healing, alchemy, etc. which look close to magic, but ultimately either fall short while still being more practical and common than actual magic, or - if a magic user so desires - may be a tool for a magic user's studies.

When it exists, I think that magic should be able to be applied to any area of life, but rarely be worth whatever price tag associated. On the subject of prices, I think that the prices of any particular magical effect should be pretty much randomized, and I think a great deal of a mage's time won't be spent casting magic so much as studying it. I think that entire years could by with a spellcaster doing nothing more than constructing and researching a new spell.

Speaking of randomness, I think that should be a huge factor in making magic generally useless. How useful, for example, is a spell which the sole function of it is to turn a wooden chair into a iron chair, at the cost of a piece of fruit, some of the caster's vitality, and a few hours of casting, particularly if it has the nasty side effect of pushing everyone in a 50 square radius two steps closer to madness, and can at times kill small infants who are nearby? Not very. We've got a large set of side effects and problems, and all we get from it is being able to - very slowly - turn wood and fruit into iron, but only if we've converted the wood first into a chair shape, and after which we must melt the iron down, unless a chair is exactly what we wanted.

But then what's the use of magic if it can't be useful? A spellcaster will answer that any spell, potion, or enchantment can be refined. Over years, a few of those naunces might be removed. Someday, you may even get a powerful art of converting wood into iron, and should you train an army of spellcasters into archmagi, you might even get a working factory.

But I include that I think magic should take time - time to learn, time to master, time to perform. Barring all other costs, magic should take large investments of time. I don't think any mage short of Legendary in whatever magic skills there might be should be able to perform anything remotely useful. A mage short of legendary may be able to learn a few spells, and might even contribute to research - much in the same way a dabbling miner may be able to help mine out a fortress for five hundred dwarves. And even once a mage masters the general skills and theories, it should still take long periods of time studying and mastering each individual spell - even moreso if they're the ones inventing the spell. Time to master the spell, time to copy the spell, make spellbooks, sort through them, research created spells, study the effects of various objects.

One thing common in fantasy settings is that wizards of any reasonable talent are generally old men who have been performing their art since a young age, spending a good amount of time studying under another old man who followed the same pattern. They just seem to forget to include this vital point during actual gameplay for the sake of mechanical balance.

And of course, the point that others raised is the extensive resources it costs to research magic things. Even if you get that fireball spell to accurately function as a weapon with no real side effects and fairly efficient costs, and even if you do spend years training a small squad of mages to be able to cast it effectively... the sheer monetary value of all the resources that would have gone just to research and master such a spell would probably be equivilant of a typical artifact, and the costs to train mages to cast it would likely be even higher, nevermind the original wizard who had to invent and master the spell in the first place.

That all said, I do believe there's a Wizard arc planned, where instead of playing a fortress, you play a wizard. That'll be awesome. I cannot wait to research spells that turn doors into walls and walls into chairs and stuff. Oh yes.

I like the guy's "research spells" idea.

I'd sort of like to elaborate on how it would work gameplay wise (if you don't agree, roara or anybody, feel free to debate. Compromise is always good).

First off, world gen should start with innate magical force. This magical ability should manifest itself in natural applications and in people. These people, who would be, in and of their own right, legends (after all, they are taking the pure magical essence of the world and using it, with their own magic diluting throughout the ages) and should have the ability to, over time, learn more abilities like the previously suggested ones, but randomly. Once we get done with all those world gen super wizards (who should be dead by the time your fortress starts. If you start a fortress in year 1 of your world, you probably aren't going to have anything written down) the magicians Roara suggested could kick in. The grand magicians will have passed down some of their magical secrets, and as other magicians rise and fall their secrets could be written down or die with them. Eventually, you would have access to this research, either through traders or through the king, and then you can start it.

Also, magic, while random, should be limited to the materials at hand. There shouldn't be a spell that requires whale bones to turn aluminum into adamantine if you are on an inland fortress with neither aluminum nor whales and with a mage who never saw adamantine in his life. (Although speaking of aluminum, a spell that extracts it from bauxite would be nice). I think magic should probably come in a few seperate categories which could then be altered.

First off, is damage magic. Obviously, these spells cause damage, either by directly wounding the creature or all creatures in an area, or by causing high/low heat or creating poisonous gas. It could even lead to useless things, such as destroying the fur off hoary marmots or a poison that only affects turtles, but could then be refined to a spell which damages any creatures skin or a general use poison, which could then be re-refined into a more powerful poison or spell just for use on one creature. These spells should generally have high costs.

Research on this magic should be at least somewhat directable: After your magician has a spell, he should work on mastering it and then should have you decide what direction you want to take it (do you want to increase the power of a knockout gas spell to make it deadly, or do you want to make it work on dwarves only, so you have a safe dwarf containment spell).

Second is transformation magic. It can start like Roara said, wood chairs to iron chairs, and eventually get stronger and broader in it's use. Not much else to do on this.

Third should be magic that affects creatures bodies. It could be used to cure them or alter them, so it is transformation magic, in a way. You could have magic that heals wounds caused by bronze at the expense of ripping up your spellcaster, or a spell that stops bleeding but causes all other creatures in the area to lose a large amount of blood, and once again, after a spell is mastered you should be able to tailor the research to some degree.

And so on and so forth. Really, magic seems like it could be a really fun thing to do with the game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:27 pm »

That Dwarf Mage is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life.  The expression on his face is beyond words.
Shoes...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2008, 12:52:57 am »

I don't think magic should have a huge impact on fortress mode, aside from artifacts, some magic runes or alchemy, items you can acquire and so forth, allies or magical enemies and the like.  Maybe taming magical creatures with the dungeon master, too -- can you imagine the fun we can have by chaining a basilisk near the entrance, with a door so it doesn't petrify everyone who comes in?  Not to mention all the things that can go horribly, hilariously wrong when you try to use your pet basilisk for defense.

But I don't think dwarves should have proper 'wizards' on their side, with full researching and overwhelming magical might.  Maybe rune-masters who can inscribe basic protections against temperature, hostile magic, rotting and so forth...  dwarves might know a bit of 'counter-magic' in self-defense.  But I can't really see your typical Dwarf Fortress dwarves throwing fireballs around.

First, it doesn't fit the image of dwarves.  Second, why would a powerful wizard work in a fortress?  They'd be more appropriate setting up their own fortress somewhere, centered around them -- a powerful wizard is a faction in his own right, and wouldn't care what the king of the dwarves thinks.    Third, the game isn't really designed around it, and that level of magic would radically upset everything that came before.

I think there should be overwhelmingly powerful, empire-shattering wizards in the world, but they should be limited to enemies or distant allies in Dwarf Mode -- playing as them should wait for Wizard Mode.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2008, 04:48:02 am »

Serious Mode Activated. I'm not joking around or going into an off topic ramble about the high school gamer bunch I used to pal around with this time, really.

Another game that pulled off a stronger caster-fighter balance than the average D&D influenced arr-pig was another roguelike, 'Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup'. Casters were powerful in their own right and had some very impressive abilities that gave them an edge, but the key to the balance (besides some especially nasty creatures that could shrug off entire classes of spells) wasn't so much what happened during a fight, but what happened between fights.

Pure magic users were urged to either pick up some good old fashioned ass kicking skills or move quickly to the game's objective because using magic made you hungry much quicker, which limited how long you could stay in the dungeon. Using too much magic could also make you radioactive, throwing off your chances of successful casting and increasing the likelihood of a backfire and other mishaps. (Also increased was the likelihood of a very bad backfire, or as an IRC buddy put it, "... summoning rainbow twisters of rape-my-ass." Dangerous spatial vortexes were only mid-range in the backfire badness spectrum to boot.) Magic allowed you to handle hazards quicker and with less interference from the typical baddies, but you had to expend more resources for the same result. (Fighters would meanwhile have to put themselves and their equipment in danger by engaging enemies directly, and didn't have utility spells such as the various divining spells, either.) During lower levels and while in the presence of enemies that could throw a wrench in your spell casting, using magic put you at risk for some extremely negative consequences that could either end the game immediately by killing you or handicap you for its remainder. Nobody got off for free, except for a couple kinds of elf that could conveniently skirt a lot of magic's limitations without consequence, making them rather broken. (I hear tell that their ability to heal is going to be severely handicapped to make up for this in the future.)

Meanwhile, due to how the experience and skill system worked, a magic user wasn't severely handicapped by diverging into manual combat or the other way around. Hybrids worked very well. They had more staying power than pure magic users, could defend themselves and attack at any range, and got utility spells on the side. The cons of magic use still applied, but they had more than one way of getting around in the dungeon. What diverging really ate into was the number of skills they could possibly master. Each type of magic was a skill, as was each weapon, the use of armors and shields, sneaking, and anything else you could think of. You could mix and match a lot of different abilities which would benefit you in specific situations. As a fighter you learned how to use a lot of different weapons, armors, shields, and combat skills so you could have a better chance of successfully beating something up depending on what it is. As a magic user you learned different types of magic ranging from utility spells to nuke-like attacks for the same reason, and also so you could vary your resource consumption. (Nuking becomes less preferable when you're running on low. In fact, you might not even be able to.) Due to the enormous range of situations the game can throw at you and the fact that survival is paramount, more often than not you benefit more from specializing less.

Obviously this applies a lot more to Adventure Mode, but in the event the player wanted a setting where everyday wizards did show up and your fortress got a handful or so magic-capable people, the ideas presented in 'Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup' could help keep them working sensibly there, too. Say you send off one of your magical men to fight with a band of soldiers by providing them spells for support. That guy might require several times as many consumables as the rest of his soldiers for both himself and his spells. If he used his magic a lot, he'd have to rest more. If he's going to give Power Word: Fuck You a go, everyone else might want to stand back in case something goes wrong and suddenly ampersands with corrupt intentions start running around everywhere doing terrible ampersand things. Your battle magician gives you a lot of strong perks, but he's a pain in the ass logistically and a liability in combat. (Not to mention that if you lose him, you might have trouble replacing him.) Back at home, he could earn his daily bread like anyone else, or use his powers for special applications like zombie repellent and putting curses on uncooperative foreign diplomats.

A good point, though... We'll be able to make our own setting anyway. If the canned wizards that will eventually come with the game aren't to our liking, we could just make our own. (And an accompanying game world to accommodate them, too.)
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2008, 12:26:04 am »

I like the idea of, at the very least, strong combat magic being "dark magic" where it did immense amounts of damage to the user and to the enemies. For example, a light "explode" spell (like 3x3 with heat damage farther out) might simply make a dwarf hungry and maybe do some burn damage to his casting arm, but casting "Power Word: FUCK YOU!" would be able to simply kill everything on screen, but also cause your dwarf to break every (recoverable) bone in his body, IF it works out right. If not, he might get atomized, lose control of the spell, and atomize everything friendly, enemy, and the surrounding land (IE a giant smoking crater of hell). Or it could do that and release demons (literally making your own glowing pit).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »

I like the idea of, at the very least, strong combat magic being "dark magic" where it did immense amounts of damage to the user and to the enemies. For example, a light "explode" spell (like 3x3 with heat damage farther out) might simply make a dwarf hungry and maybe do some burn damage to his casting arm, but casting "Power Word: FUCK YOU!" would be able to simply kill everything on screen, but also cause your dwarf to break every (recoverable) bone in his body, IF it works out right. If not, he might get atomized, lose control of the spell, and atomize everything friendly, enemy, and the surrounding land (IE a giant smoking crater of hell). Or it could do that and release demons (literally making your own glowing pit).

So you basically are suggesting a Boatmurderd spell?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »

Yeah, except it wouldn't destroy EVERYTHING. ;D

Today

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 10:05:48 am »

I know I'm playing thread necromancer here but I just don't give I damn. I felt like I needed to put in my two cents.

I feel that wizards and magic should primarily be a challenge factory. Wizardry and magic could be obtained through a strange mood after a certain population has been reached, or a wizard could arrive much like a noble. They'd then demand certain workshops or similar utilities to be set up where they can experiment and research. The effects of their research would be almost completely arbitrary. You could suddenly find all the bones in your refuse pile animate and terrorize your butchers. Conversely, the wizard would occasionally create magical amulets that could benefit your soldiers, workers, or even nobles. An enchanted amulet given to a soldier could increase the chance of a martial trance occurring. A magical pair of gloves given to your legendary mason could increase the frequency of masterpiece furniture made. The primary function of the wizard, however, should be to create challenges (and, subsequently, fun) for the player to deal with. The wizard would escape prosecution for any crimes he/she commits as long as he didn't directly cause the death of a dwarf. A stray fireball hitting a nearby peasant would result in the wizard being carried off to the gallows while an animated piece of dwarven cheese choking your baron would allow the wizard to remain blameless.

I see a lot of possibility in this wizard concept. "Losing is fun," after all. The wizard should just be there to create new ways to lose.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2008, 12:23:40 pm »

A wizard would totally be blamed for animated cheese choking a guy. The wizard animated the cheese and the cheese killed someone. Going by medieval standards, when some weird magical guy does something otherwordly that results in the mysterious death of a nobleman, they sure as hell get punished for it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:43 pm »

Especially for such a loved person like a noble.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7