Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma channel over Tomb made of soap?  (Read 3756 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Magma channel over Tomb made of soap?
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:54 pm »

Ya, im sure the title got you.

Anyway, I am building a tomb made out of soap for my dwarf, ol' Soapy. (see "This dwarf can't die!") I want to make it awsomely awsome so that even the Hippy tree sodomizing elves even bow in it's glory. I want it to be so awsome it makes you want to say WHATDAFACKOMGTHATSSOCOOLROFLROFL. Currently it is a mausoleum made out of kitty fat soap in the shape of a cross. it is 2 stories high with a roof made out of soap, and some stairs leading to an altar made of soap. It's door is a floodgate made out of kobold bone called "The Syrup of Replies". I want to make it more awsome.

My idea was to get channels filled with magma that would flow over each side of the entrance into a moat that flowed underneath it, then was brought back up to the channel by screw pumps and then flowed over again.

It is underground (I had to dig out one level at a time and place supports made out of soap, then build around that.) and has pleny of room behind it for some serious dwarven engineering.

My problem is, I dont know if the magma will melt the soap. I have bauxite for the screwpumps Buuuuuuut.....

Any ideas or suggestions for death traps would be appreciated. also, can someone let me know if magma would destroy the soap channel?

P.S. I might post a picture of it in the dwarf fortress file depot when im done.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Magma channel over Tomb made of soap?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

IF the Soap appears as in item in the building then yes, you'll end up with Molten Soap.  The walls, floors, etc. will be unaffected.  I'm not sure the floodgate would survive the magma, either.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:30:21 pm »

No, they magma would only be touching the channels, would fall to either side of bridge made of stone leading to floodgate, would fall a few z levels, fall into a river made of magma, flow upwards into 2 screw pumps in the back of the mausoleam, and flow through the 2 parraell channels made of soap again. kind of like this:
----------------------------------------
-=floor
_=channel
0=Bridge
The magma comes out the screw pumps to the left, and flows to either side of the bridge.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:04 pm »

Like I said, as long as it never touches a building with an item list that shows up when you press "t", you'll be fine.  So, things it can't touch:

Floodgate.
Coffin.
Soapmaker workshop built out of soap.

Things it can touch just fine:
Fortifications, walls, floors, etc.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:02 pm »

Any ideas to make it more awsome? Soapy was 10x more awsome than this so i want to live up to his name.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:44:42 pm »

Like I said, as long as it never touches a building with an item list that shows up when you press "t", you'll be fine.  So, things it can't touch:

Floodgate.

It can *touch* a floodgate, it just can't go *through* the floodgate.  I've tried this (with rock floodgates, not soap, but they weren't bauxite).  What you say about constructions matches what I've seen: you can make a wood floor for a magmaduct across a canyon.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:46:57 pm »

Yeah, all my magma resevoirs have wooden walls.  It's fun!

~LegacyCWAL

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:50:13 pm »

MAYBE WE SHOULD TELL TOADY
Do not listen to this man, he is insane.  ;D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 06:02:59 pm »

I'm fairly certain Toady knows, don't worry.

I also have a hunch it's not very high on his priority list. ;)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:25:59 pm »

Dropping the magma a few z-levels will cause you problems. Unlike water, the magma moves slowly and will very happily sit on top of itself, quickly overflowing a channel if its not wide enough for the outflow. Be careful and test your system elsewhere first! (Voice of experiece!)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:30:23 am »

There's no game effect, but you could set up a waterfall (not magmafall) over the entrance to the tomb that goes through soap floor grates above and below.

The mental image, of course, is that anyone entering the tomb goes through a shower of soapy water.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:06:55 am »

There's no game effect, but you could set up a waterfall (not magmafall) over the entrance to the tomb that goes through soap floor grates above and below.

The mental image, of course, is that anyone entering the tomb goes through a shower of soapy water.

how very unDwarvenly.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:21 am »

how very unDwarvenly.

No, it puts out the fire from when they walked through the magma mist getting happy thoughts as they entered.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:31:09 am »

how very unDwarvenly.

No, it puts out the fire from when they walked through the magma mist getting happy thoughts as they entered.

Real Dwarves burn to death without stopping their work in the meantime!
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:29 am »

how very unDwarvenly.

You mean, unlike commemorating a soapmaker?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.
Pages: [1] 2