Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150508 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2009, 06:03:38 am »

It would be even better if these reasons could happen in World Gen through the interaction between said two groups through out Legends.

And of course, it doesn't need to be stated that it would be awesome, among actual births in civs, soldiering in Adventure mode and Dwarf mode, skills in Adventure mode, and a myriad of other wonderful things that will happen throughout a persistent play through, and all that good stuff. Just not in a very close time frame.

Eh. Go figure.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 12, 2009, 12:34:01 pm »

Truth, wars should definitely be based on actual civ interaction, but we should also be able to influence those interactions to a degree. I mean racism and religion are two major causes of conflict in our world; hell, "They look funny" and "They worship a different god" are two of the most common reasons to go to war. We should be able to say "These guys think these guys look funny, and thus don't like them very much."

You forgot "They've got something we want"  :P

Part of it is also that we can't set the "character" of each civ, so they all default to trying to solve their problems with diplomats, which hasn't always been the most popular of reasons. Previous defeats (and thus national pride) doesn't seem to play into it at all, either.

Clearly we need to get Toady a time machine so that he can have an infinite amount of time to work on DF.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 12, 2009, 01:58:18 pm »

Clearly we need to get Toady a time machine so that he can have an infinite amount of time to work on DF.

I'm working on that now.  It should be ready by yesterday.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 12, 2009, 02:31:40 pm »

Truth, wars should definitely be based on actual civ interaction, but we should also be able to influence those interactions to a degree. I mean racism and religion are two major causes of conflict in our world; hell, "They look funny" and "They worship a different god" are two of the most common reasons to go to war. We should be able to say "These guys think these guys look funny, and thus don't like them very much."

You forgot "They've got something we want" 

Part of it is also that we can't set the "character" of each civ, so they all default to trying to solve their problems with diplomats, which hasn't always been the most popular of reasons. Previous defeats (and thus national pride) doesn't seem to play into it at all, either.

OILOILOIL OILY OIL!
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

dabbling builder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 13, 2009, 05:40:48 am »

hmm im about to play my first go with orc mod and before istarted playing i checked legends to see the destructive power of the orcs.
sad part was, a group of them was destroyed by ELVES and subsequently eaten. im wondering if the elves just got lucky or they started worshipping some horrible god giving them great power.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 13, 2009, 05:54:01 am »

Look Dabbling Builder, any other day, I would have called you a heretic, but since your new, I'll cut you some slack.

YOUR FILE WAS CORRUPTED. NUKE THAT WORLD AND MAKE ANOTHER.

(Uh yeah, the RNG played in the Elves' favor I'd say. I wouldn't worry about that. There are some good events I've read in Legends, but mostly I've been seeing alot of battles that should have played out longer and bloodier.)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 13, 2009, 10:37:17 am »

hmm im about to play my first go with orc mod and before istarted playing i checked legends to see the destructive power of the orcs.
sad part was, a group of them was destroyed by ELVES and subsequently eaten. im wondering if the elves just got lucky or they started worshipping some horrible god giving them great power.

That sounds like that chaos dwarf who, alone, defeated a couple of orc attacks.  Then he counter attacked and destroyed them.  Only this is Elves, so they needed a giant army to do what one dwarf could do alone.  Also, Orcs eat people too, so maybe the Elves were just getting on the flesh-devouring bandwagon.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:41 pm »

Correction. The ORCS are getting on the flesh eating bandwagon.

The Elves, however useless vessels of elven meats they are, came first. And they ate the corpses of their fallen foes first.

NOW WE JUST NEED SOME DRAGONS THAT ACTUALLY WORK PROPERLY. Flying.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 13, 2009, 03:51:19 pm »

Correction. The ORCS are getting on the flesh eating bandwagon.

If they didn't eat it, it would just go to waste there on the ground. Plus, it's not like they are eating other orcs, is it?
Try my orc mod!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:22 pm »

What I meant was that the existence of one race of effective cannibal maniacs made all races of cannibal maniacs slightly more effective.  Also, the elves obviously were beating down the newcomers for edging in on their territory.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

dabbling builder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:20 am »

oh on the topic of nuking the world, i was planning to build a massive magma system to burn everything outside ala boatmurdered, when the orcs came the first winter.
the dwarf caravan was scared off by a band of roaming monkeys, so the orcs saw fit to trade with me.

needless to say, i've genned up a new world

EDIT: i just figured out why they came to trade, didn't mod out [CAN_SPEAK], time for the third try!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:08:30 am by dabbling builder »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2009, 06:52:04 am »

Didn't Rysith make a language file for the Orcs so you didn't have to do all that shit for them to have names?

Just plug 'em in with out the CAN SPEAK or INTELLIGENT.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:32 pm »

Didn't Rysith make a language file for the Orcs so you didn't have to do all that shit for them to have names?

Just plug 'em in with out the CAN SPEAK or INTELLIGENT.

Unfortunately, the language just means that when they do have names they aren't goblin ones. They still need a kill or [CAN_SPEAK] to get actual names, and having them not speak at least long enough to get them to go to war is still required.

I'm still trying to track down what exactly makes it safe to let them speak, since I've had embarks where I can immediately give them [CAN_SPEAK] and embarks where I can't. I suspect that it has something to do with world gen generating the events for the first year of the fortress, which can include peace treaties, but I'm not entirely sure yet.
Try my orc mod!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:34 pm »

The safest bet would seem to be waiting for the first orc siege, then adding the tag. You'd have to put up with half a dozen unnamed wrestlers, but that's a paltry price to pay.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:10 pm »

It doesn't matter anyhow. The first batch of idiots are either just living meatsack target practice for your lone Marksdwarf, or they end up leaving the map because you don't show your face.

Next siege come, you might actually come out and FIGHT.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37