Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150526 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »

But the depth of a game starts to look fairly shallow when the means stop there.

Frankly, I think Rysith's application of why's and when's speaks to me in a better way, makes more sense, and makes for a better story.

And as Toady would say, its all about the stories.

Denoting a game to the generic 'Hack'N'Slash games would therefore make it uninteresting, and Dwarf Fortress to me, though sometimes frustrating, was never uninteresting to me.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2009, 10:17:35 am »

Damn Orcs. They run away just because you killed 27 of the 30 that showed up, the other three had mangled arms and broken hands and things like that. Frickin wrestler couldn't get 'em before they got to the edge of the map.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2009, 04:49:01 am »

Thats why you have Marksdwarves ready to pick them off while your Sword and Axe dwarves finish whats left on the battlefield. You know. The ones slowly crawling, limbs hacked and slashed off, and eyes torn out across the battlefield.

You almost feel sorry for them, but then you remember they  can't feel pain, and you chop off their heads anyway.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2009, 11:28:02 am »

Can the files be dropped into any mod? Or would it conflict?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 08, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »

There have been some reports of Dangerous Wilds (I think) also having Dire Wolves. Removing them, or renaming them in their header bracket, should solve that conflict.  That's the only one that I know of.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 08, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »

There have been some reports of Dangerous Wilds (I think) also having Dire Wolves. Removing them, or renaming them in their header bracket, should solve that conflict.  That's the only one that I know of.

Thanks, I'm going to try with CivForge

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 08, 2009, 03:48:23 pm »

Heh, I never posted on this thread before.  Odd.  This mod rocks my socks.  Period.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2009, 08:21:28 am »

These orcs dont do well at glacial maps due to their nudity, especialy the wrestlers. They just suddenly drop dead from freezing.

It might be that my current fort is a bit colder then it should be, annimals keep dying as well, including the ones of the traders. Except that one mussox, its a realy tough mussox.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2009, 09:12:29 am »

lol, the first orcs that attacked me got owned by my crossbow tower as they didn't bring any bows.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2009, 01:51:16 pm »

however the second group to attack got in because of some stupid dwarves getting confused with the levers, i send out my hammer lords and champions with crossbows(legendary wrestlers+proffesional hammerdwarf+competant crossbow) and they killed alot but got destroyed by the macelord and swordmaster. The brave hammerlord Dismud lead most of the orcs away from my fort so i could have a chance to close the drawbridge. The orc macelord and about 3 others got in and killed my remaining hammerlord. I recruited my entire population (55ish) but they wheren't enough. finnally, when i was down to 10 dwarves, i disactivated my miner. Counterattacking with the rest of my recruits i bought enough time for the miner to hack through the wall between the main hall and a lava pipe. The fortress filled with magma.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »

Hmm, I figured out why I thought I was having trouble with your orcs.

Another mod I use replaces them entirely....  Bah, fixed.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:48 am »

Very cool mod.
I am using it as a base for an idea i have....
Gonna make a few races.
Art is a Blast

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:27 pm »

however the second group to attack got in because of some stupid dwarves getting confused with the levers, i send out my hammer lords and champions with crossbows(legendary wrestlers+proffesional hammerdwarf+competant crossbow) and they killed alot but got destroyed by the macelord and swordmaster. The brave hammerlord Dismud lead most of the orcs away from my fort so i could have a chance to close the drawbridge. The orc macelord and about 3 others got in and killed my remaining hammerlord. I recruited my entire population (55ish) but they wheren't enough. finnally, when i was down to 10 dwarves, i disactivated my miner. Counterattacking with the rest of my recruits i bought enough time for the miner to hack through the wall between the main hall and a lava pipe. The fortress filled with magma.

His last thoughts.

"I wonder if there's any rum left..."

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »

Well, I've found what seems to be a problem.

The latest orc siege showed up, all of them mounted on Beak Dogs (I'm sure it's your orc mod now, by the way, I made sure of it five times).

I sealed my fortress (no small feat), then had my marksdwarves stand on the walls and open fire.

After one beak dog was killed, the entire squad it belonged to bugged out.  The second squad also ran away as soon as they lost a beak dog.  No orcs were even injured.

Also, the *SIEGE* tag didn't vanish until they went off the edge of the map, so I'm guessing the beak dogs wussed out and dragged the orcs with them.

I'm putting [NOFEAR] on the mount creatures, since that kills off the whole wuss-out mechanic.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 12, 2009, 03:57:39 am »

But the depth of a game starts to look fairly shallow when the means stop there.

Frankly, I think Rysith's application of why's and when's speaks to me in a better way, makes more sense, and makes for a better story.

And as Toady would say, its all about the stories.

Denoting a game to the generic 'Hack'N'Slash games would therefore make it uninteresting, and Dwarf Fortress to me, though sometimes frustrating, was never uninteresting to me.

Truth, wars should definitely be based on actual civ interaction, but we should also be able to influence those interactions to a degree. I mean racism and religion are two major causes of conflict in our world; hell, "They look funny" and "They worship a different god" are two of the most common reasons to go to war. We should be able to say "These guys think these guys look funny, and thus don't like them very much."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37