Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150527 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2009, 04:44:32 am »

Just delete the Goblin civilisation from the entities_standard.txt

Walshy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:13 pm »

I thought I was safe from the evil orcs behind my 15 rows of stone-fall traps. I really did.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2009, 02:26:12 am »

Dontcha love [trAPAVOID]?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2009, 03:34:39 pm »

Well it isn't the orcs that got me this time, it was those freaky wolf spiders.  I had completed the perimeter wall in the first summer when a pack comes charging at my fort and across the drawbridge.  The lever was pulled just in time to dump the second spider in the moat, but the first makes a beeline for the deepest bowels of my fort.  Epic battle ensues in an empty storage room, an axedwarf (My main carpenter), mechanic, and two dogs go down before a wrestler (craftsdwarf and furnace operator) manages to hold it down long enough for the last axedwarf to smash it against the wall and his war dog to tear it apart.

I'm still sealed in at the moment with two more spiders lurking out there.  Only fun can come of this.

Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 03, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »

I been trying to make my own orc species, but i can't get them to war. (atleast that what it says on embark since there is no red line near their names)

Is there anything wrong here?

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:40:14 pm by Kelbin »
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

Replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. [INTELLIGENT] implies those two, plus [CAN_SPEAK]. Because the current version is bugged (i.e. creatures make peace way too often if they have the ability to communicate), [CAN_SPEAK] often leads to peaceful civs.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2009, 06:02:02 pm »

Heh, it works, thanks alot.

So i'm guessing the reason goblins war so much is because of the snatcher tag?
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »

Aye. Babysnatchers are permanently at war with non-babysnatchers. Unfortunately, that tag makes them insist on trying to, well, snatch your babies before they'll bother sieging, and there's no way to bypass that stage. So you can either have guaranteed war with a non-speaking civ in the first summer, or guaranteed war with a speaking civ after a few years.

You can also add CAN_SPEAK after embarking, and that usually gets you a war with named orcs, but the timing is tricky, and by the time you find out you did it wrong, you've gone through the ever-exciting motions of starting yet another fort that won't go anywhere.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2009, 11:33:46 pm »

When I added [can_speak] to my orcs, they decided to start trading with me.  After two of their caravans came and went, I removed [can_speak], and they stopped coming altogether for a few years.  I am perfectly fine with only killers and squad leaders having names, so I don't mind them not speaking.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2009, 02:03:12 am »

We really need a [WARLIKE] tag, or perhaps a [ENTITY_ENEMY:MOUNTAIN] tag.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »

I'd rather have Toady fix the problem and not use cheap solutions like that, to be honest. Takes away the randomness.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2009, 05:07:03 am »

Being able to set races as [WARLIKE] or [PEACEFUL] and being able to say "Race X will try to war with Race Y at any available opportunity" would be a perfectly acceptable solution. What's wrong with being able to set an entity type as being warlike, peaceful or having racial enemies? Those are all pretty standard fantasy tropes.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2009, 09:34:56 am »

Personally, I would be okay with warlike and peaceful tags to determine how often an entity goes to war.  I think Toady wants to have all wars arise from how the Civ's interact, rather than through forced interactions.

For instance, I suspect that, in the future, we will have wars started because a snatched child becomes a child snatcher, snatches the princess when she is almost an adult, and marries her shortly thereafter.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »

[WARLIKE] and [PEACEFUL] would be good tags, I think, as well as finer control over how different entities handle diplomacy. Right now, civs are far too willing to forgive past wrongs and make peace, and never go to war over things other than ideological conflicts: There aren't wars over resources, plunder, honor, greed, or Because We Can. Wars that do start tend to end very quickly, either with the defender crushed or with the attacker giving up after a few losses and the defender not retaliating.

In my mind, Orcs are classic fantasy barbarians: Large, strong, tribal, fiercely loyal to each other, and wanting nothing more than to plunder the civilized world to prove its inferiority. They aren't the kind of group that would make peace with a human civilization just because some of their raids failed, they would be more likely to press on to avenge the fallen. They might accept a human surrender, though, assimilating the humans into their culture and using them to fuel their next conquest. The closest to that that I can come right now is removing [CAN_SPEAK], unfortunately.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »

In my mind, Orcs are classic fantasy barbarians: Large, strong, tribal, fiercely loyal to each other, and wanting nothing more than to plunder the civilized world to prove its inferiority. They aren't the kind of group that would make peace with a human civilization just because some of their raids failed, they would be more likely to press on to avenge the fallen. They might accept a human surrender, though, assimilating the humans into their culture and using them to fuel their next conquest. The closest to that that I can come right now is removing [CAN_SPEAK], unfortunately.

I always thought they were intentionally designed as savage warmongers so players would have an easily identifiable enemy.  If it looks like an orc, you can freely kill it without consequence.  You don't have to consider the morality of your actions either, because the entire race is evil.  They're an excuse for good old-fashioned hack'n'slash adventures.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37