Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150473 times)

stoned funeral

Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2009, 06:24:39 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give it a go.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:32 pm »

I got sieged by orcs my second winter, which is the time I was expecting since my fortress value was abysmal the first year. However, I'm now in my fourth or fifth summer, and the orcs haven't shown up since. I've gotten two or three goblin ambushes in the meantime. The orcs still show up on my civ screen.

I do have some extreme cliffs on my map, and a heavily-forested biome splitting the primary biome down the middle, but it seems that these factors would just affect pathing, not whether the orcs arrive at all.

Any ideas?

Edit:
 - Is it possible that a still-concealed goblin ambush is somewhere on my map, preventing orc sieges?
 - I also modded in a custom megabeast with [AMBUSHPREDATOR]. Could I have one on my map, likewise preventing orc siege? Christ, I don't know whether to hope that this is the case, or fear the possibility.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:21:28 pm by Raphite1 »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »

- Is it possible that a still-concealed goblin ambush is somewhere on my map, preventing orc sieges?
 - I also modded in a custom megabeast with [AMBUSHPREDATOR]. Could I have one on my map, likewise preventing orc siege? Christ, I don't know whether to hope that this is the case, or fear the possibility.

Both of those are possibilities, since I believe that ambushes and megabeasts prevent sieges (and vice versa). To check, have your military do a lap around the map, or something like that.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2009, 12:06:09 pm »

I ran a squad out to all four corners a couple of times, and another year and a half has passed, still nothing. Even the goblins seem to have stopped coming, just a kobold thief popping up now and again. Strange.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:12 am »

I am getting rid of LOOSE_CLUSTERS.. something seems to be wrong. Had an orc siege from first summer and one full years later they are still hanging out in the bottom left corner playing cards and having tea.

Luring them away has failed sofar. I got one of them away, killed him, nothing happened. Sent in a wardog, they killed it and back to the cards. They run around in a circular chaos pattern surrounding their leader (red orc mauler) - which also means any attempt of luring them has to include him, or they will go back to the corner. That is hard as some of them are faster then him..

I was figuring they would leave after a season.. then a couple of seasons, but no.
Next test is trying to dig a passage just for them to enter.. keeping the drawbridge open does nothing but looks good and keeps the wind fresh in the immediate mines.

Any other suggestions apart from kamikazing my seven sons of Armok?

EDIT! (one year not two).. and suddenly they magically dissappear.. not even a msg or flowers as a goodbye.. hehe. I will see if next time is any different.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:56:59 am by Xanares »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:30 pm »

hah these are awsome! i have a fort and it was going nice. i had forgotten about the orcs even and had just gotten a immagration bringing me up to about 30 or so dwarfs. then i get sieged and tried to dig a channel for safety but on a 2x2 map you get places fast and the orcs got to my fort so i drafted everyone and now have only about 10 left after the chopperz and probably only survived because there was a ring of cage traps to keep the camels out.

and ouch I counted the cages and realized i had less captured then i had still there so low and be hold i now have abandoned because there where still some left and now there are only 4 dwarfs and all of them are injured and resting.

and i have reclaimed it and the orcs that where in the cages are friendly!!! they are just wandering around being friendly like!!! what the *insert bad words*.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:47:17 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2009, 10:28:12 am »

Very enjoyable mod but for some reason I can't get the orc graphics to work with Mike Maydays tile set. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I copied the.bmp to the mayday file in graphics and then entered this in mayday_graphics.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What is the proper [PAGE_DIM:] you are using to get them to work?

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:54 am »

Very enjoyable mod but for some reason I can't get the orc graphics to work with Mike Maydays tile set. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I copied the.bmp to the mayday file in graphics and then entered this in mayday_graphics.txt

What is the proper [PAGE_DIM:] you are using to get them to work?
Go to page 9, at the bottom you can see how my txt file looks like and it works like that for me. And I have the mayday pack.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 04, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »

Added [UTTERANCES] and [CAN_SPEAK] to orcs, genned a world, embarked on an orc dark fortress. They where all friendly.
I couldn't trade with them, though.
:(

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 04, 2009, 09:05:52 pm »

I'm having fun with  the Deathquest class orcs. Bigger, trapavoid.

Also, Deathquest led to me noticing that they (and probably everything else ever) seem to have trouble shooting up Z-levels sometimes.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

heathkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:51 am »

Grrr, the first page of this thread isn't loading.  Could someone repost the orc raws?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2009, 05:56:52 am »

Maybe there should be a wiki page for this? It's kinda localized to the DF forums but it feels like mention of orcs has become ubiquitous enough to merit at least a "Hey noobs, this is what Orcs are, run in fear!" up there.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2009, 07:14:11 am »

I have some hard orks. Gave them trance, o stun or nausea, stronger attacks, trap avoid....and other things

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19:36 am »

Har! This is fun.

I believe my positioning of the fortress have enraged the orcs a slight bit. You see, it is rather much of an outpost in the middle of orc land.

The fortress is situated right on the volcano you see a bit to the left of the middle.
At least 10 of the 13 dark fortresses around me are orcs. I dont think there was war-status on embark..

Ok, so the timeline is something like this:
- first summer - 15 orcs siege for a year (killed one)
- first winter - found underground pool (only source of water)
- second summer - another orc siege replaces the other one - this time 3 squads and 1 local leader (killed all of them in traps and floods)
- second winter - another siege with 3 squads and 3 local leaders (killed or trapped 1/3 in the fortress maze, rest left after a season)
- third summer - finally have the drawbridge down for more than a day - sees a chance to gather some wood, ambushed by two squads of goblins, carpenter/woodcutter killled (first casuality besides a wardog) and mason/leader ends up with a brain-damage
- third autumn - first caravan and liason makes it to the fortress!! (finally got an anvil)
- third winter - minotaurs siege with one squad, I just close them out until they leave
- fourth summer - first migration wave arrives (8 suicidal dwarves)

War status:
fallen:
17 orc lashers
9 orc lancers
1 orc mace lord
2 orc swordmasters
1 named orc axe lord (local leader)
6 orc carvers (with berserker axes, size 7)
38 orc wrestlers
= 74 orcs

trapped:
5 orc lashers
1 named orc sword master
8 orc carvers
8 orc wrestlers
1 named orc hammer lord
= 23 orcs

Orc civ screen:

Looking forward to winter!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »

Added [UTTERANCES] and [CAN_SPEAK] to orcs, genned a world, embarked on an orc dark fortress. They where all friendly.
I couldn't trade with them, though.
:(

I was thinking just UTTERANCES, not CAN_SPEAK, as we know CAN_SPEAK to be the issue.
It'd be interesting to try...
Sure, game mechanics may make it seem like it'd error out or something, but experimentation is the basis of DF modding.
I'd do it myself, but I'm in the middle of a long-run ruleset fortress (fifty years of gametime, no other worlds allowed in meantime)
..Fifty years of constant sieges.
Should be fun.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37