Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150464 times)

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2009, 02:29:35 pm »

Well, at least your orcs are violent.. mine arrived first winter with two merchants, who ended up fleeing because of a couple of fire imps and troglodytes.. pathetic.

Admitted I have not used entirely the same setup as orig. poster.. and have minotaurs in the world as civ too.
For instance I added SIEGER..

We're not at war with the orcs.. (with Minotaurs tho.. still waiting for them, as I am very close to them on the map).. does that interfere with it?

I enclose my two mod file entries for anyone interested in checking them out / have a shot at the problem (?).

Maybe they are incoming soon.. shall see.

Entity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creature:

EDIT: on the passive orcs topic, I've recently had dragons hanging in the air close to the map-border on a bit larger than usual map.. have to lure them away or face them there.. pretty annoying. It's like your worst uncle coming for tea, but staying outside the fence. Do you ignore him or bring him the friggin tea?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 02:32:54 pm by Xanares »

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2009, 03:12:29 pm »

I'm only a 3 by 3, my fortress in the middle. I got attacked again though, just half a year later and led by a Hammerlord and a Pikemaster. I've got a wall up now, too, so I can have a little bit of the outside to work with. Hopefully in another year or so I'll be able to fight them (on my terms, of course, none of this charging out to meet them).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2009, 04:20:04 pm »

Figured out what the problem was. Kobold ambush apparently blocked up the channels of attack long enough for an orc and two goblin sieges to be queed up. A patrolling soldier found and killed the ambush, the second they all die I get the siege message. My catapult battery (26 catapults with 36 operators!) smashed them pretty easily, and once the last orc died the goblin siege showed up. Killed all them, the last one shows up. I took awhile with the orc siege so a season might've passed in there, but it was two seasons at most.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »

Well, at least your orcs are violent.. mine arrived first winter with two merchants, who ended up fleeing because of a couple of fire imps and troglodytes.. pathetic.

Admitted I have not used entirely the same setup as orig. poster.. and have minotaurs in the world as civ too.
For instance I added SIEGER..

We're not at war with the orcs.. (with Minotaurs tho.. still waiting for them, as I am very close to them on the map).. does that interfere with it?

I enclose my two mod file entries for anyone interested in checking them out / have a shot at the problem (?).

Maybe they are incoming soon.. shall see.

Entity:

Creature:

EDIT: on the passive orcs topic, I've recently had dragons hanging in the air close to the map-border on a bit larger than usual map.. have to lure them away or face them there.. pretty annoying. It's like your worst uncle coming for tea, but staying outside the fence. Do you ignore him or bring him the friggin tea?

You've added [INTELLIGENT], which gives them [CAN_SPEAK] allows them to be at peace with you. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to force them to be always at war with everyone except for not letting them speak. [SIEGER] just makes them light a campfire before attacking you, it doesn't actually force them to siege. I think that many of your custom profession names won't apply either, since I think that they only apply to the _MAN professions.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2009, 05:17:08 pm »

You've added [INTELLIGENT], which gives them [CAN_SPEAK] allows them to be at peace with you. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to force them to be always at war with everyone except for not letting them speak. [SIEGER] just makes them light a campfire before attacking you, it doesn't actually force them to siege. I think that many of your custom profession names won't apply either, since I think that they only apply to the _MAN professions.

Thanks Rysith - just noticed this strange error in another thread too. Will try that out right away.

You're right about the professions sadly. Ah well no biggie.. off to the battle!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »

Absolutely correct.
Only way to guarantee war is to remove their ability to talk, which gives them the inability to have names before killing something, resulting in the nameless orc problem.

Has anyone tried [UTTERANCES] yet?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »

I've seen this behavior too, and I suspect that it's an interaction between [LOOSE_CLUSTERS] and large map sizes. Lanternwebs has issues where orcs coming on the far side won't move off the map edge and I have to go chase them down. The ones that enter on the near side work fine, though. How large is your embark area, and how far from your fortress are they coming in? Do they all fail to path, or just some of them? Another possible culprit is pathing across biomes, but that makes less sense to me.

[LOOSE_CLUSTERS] was put in to prevent an issue where if a single orc ended up with a crippled leg due to crossbow fire, the remaining orcs would stay close to the injured orc rather than continuing (or fleeing, because of [NO_FEAR], and turn into pincushions. The next version will probably remove [LOOSE_CLUSTERS] in favor of a different solution.

I normally play a 4 by 4 map, however you may have something on the biome restriction, I shall have to test it.  Could it have to do with massively complex maze like fort design?  I don’t know why that would effect anything other than initial pathing logic but you never know.

edit-

It seems the biome idea is semi-accurate, they will cross of targets are readily available. However if no target is near they simply bunch in the biome they spawn in, the real question of coarse is how to FIX this problem.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:19:28 pm by hothead098 »

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2009, 10:59:09 pm »

Absolutely correct.
Only way to guarantee war is to remove their ability to talk, which gives them the inability to have names before killing something, resulting in the nameless orc problem.

Has anyone tried [UTTERANCES] yet?

Yeah, the other day I thought that I had the nameless orc issue solved with the language file, my Orcs in legends mode had names. But I when they finally showed up after regenning the world, they had no names.  I'll try [UTTERANCES] in the morning and report back.

[UTTERANCES] does not give the orcs names. The only thing I've found that does is CAN SPEAK/INTELLIGENT. Which makes them traders.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:39:52 pm by Arvidsem »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2009, 03:22:53 pm »

hey man would u mind if i add the orcs to my hobbit mod?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:25:48 pm by bloodsheder »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »

[UTTERANCES] does not give the orcs names. The only thing I've found that does is CAN SPEAK/INTELLIGENT. Which makes them traders.
The hell?
[UTTERANCES] makes their language into an indecipherable mass of gibberish, a la kobolds.
Since we don't get kobold traders in vanilla, how does that work?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »

The hell?
[UTTERANCES] makes their language into an indecipherable mass of gibberish, a la kobolds.
Since we don't get kobold traders in vanilla, how does that work?

Orcs are actually reasonably peaceful if you give them a chance to speak, since the worldgen war system needs some work. Not because they actually are peaceful, just because everyone is so tolerant during world gen. Kobolds aren't traders because of [ITEM_THIEF], but that would interfere with orc sieges. Similarly, the only reason that goblins always attack you is [BABYSNATCHER], which also affects siege behavior.

Next version will attempt to fix that by modding the orcish personalities, though I've been busy with Lanternwebs and thus haven't had much of a chance to work on it.

It seems the biome idea is semi-accurate, they will cross of targets are readily available. However if no target is near they simply bunch in the biome they spawn in, the real question of coarse is how to FIX this problem.

That might be more of an issue within DF itself, though since I've never seen goblins do that removing loose clusters might fix it by itself (and, of course, result in a bug report to Toady). I've seen Orcs not path with clear paths to dwarves from across a 5x5 spanning a biome, while others that spawned in the same biome as my fortress from similar distances pathed happily, which is why I brought it up. I've never seen goblins do that, though.

hey man would u mind if i add the orcs to my hobbit mod?

Not at all, just give credit.
Try my orc mod!

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2009, 08:32:15 am »

I've seen both goblins and elfs sit and not advance during sieges as well as some other modded races.  I think it may have something to do with the all dwarves inside order.  One time, as soon as I'd turn the order off the siegers would advance and as soon as I turned it on they'd run back to their starting points. 

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2009, 02:59:06 pm »

got wiped!  ;D

In early summer of 589 is began and in late summer it ended.

16 orcs, 8 losses
7 dwarves, all lost

They lingered between the edge of the map and the entrance, but didn't attack before I lured them with a soldier. Unfortunately two picked that time to drink and two slept soundly on the ground. I had made soldiers out of 6 and trained them in wrestling (one axe).. have to work hard on that coordination effort hehe.

Once there was only my miner left the orcs, after yet another linger to the map-edge, continued inside to finally wipe the floor with pets and miner. Sadly he was about to make a magma-channel to protect himself, when he just needed that drink so badly.

Time to reclaim!

ps: removed bows from both my orc and minotaur civs.. dunno if that is making the difference, but in legends a dwarven fortress has repeatedly defended against 3-400 minotaurs and slaughtered all of them. They have been outnumbered 4:1.

stoned funeral

« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:31 pm »

How can I mod these guys to make them hit just as hard, but later? So that it's more of a progression from kobolds goblins then orcs, rather than ORCORCORC-die.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2009, 06:08:09 pm »

How can I mod these guys to make them hit just as hard, but later? So that it's more of a progression from kobolds goblins then orcs, rather than ORCORCORC-die.

Change the [PROGRESSTRIGGER] tags, which range from 1 (right at the beginning) to 5 (you've got a king and nobles and such). To have them show up after goblins, you'll need progress 4 or so.

Don't worry, I'm working on a replacement for kobolds, too. Should goblins::orcs as kobolds::new things  ;D
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37