Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150470 times)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2009, 10:27:44 pm »

I was going to make a gladiator arena with orcs. Captured three in the first winter, but had no time to play with them yet, so I just threw them into the animal stockpile and kept them there for 4 years. During that time no sieges came to my fortress. So it looks like if you keep some caged siegers and do not dispose of them, new sieges won't come.

I remember some thread mentioning this bug with the goblins. And now it's proven for me. Gonna wait for them to come in huge numbers before using cage traps, so that I'll get many, many orcs for my gladiator dwarves to fight.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2009, 11:35:06 pm »

I was going to make a gladiator arena with orcs. Captured three in the first winter, but had no time to play with them yet, so I just threw them into the animal stockpile and kept them there for 4 years. During that time no sieges came to my fortress. So it looks like if you keep some caged siegers and do not dispose of them, new sieges won't come.

I remember some thread mentioning this bug with the goblins. And now it's proven for me. Gonna wait for them to come in huge numbers before using cage traps, so that I'll get many, many orcs for my gladiator dwarves to fight.

Never ran into this problem, had tons and tons of caged attackers in one of my forts, and I kept getting sieged over and over.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:32 am »

My previous lack of orc sieges seems to be resolved. I triggered the "A human has sprung from ambush" message a year ago which led to a human siege - apparently I had an event on the map when I embarked which blocked the Orc sieges. With that group dealt with, I got my first orc siege - 2 squads, about 24 strong. They wiped out the elf traders and I wiped them out by trapping them in the depot room and plinking them to death with my dabbling, now talented marksdwarf. Good all around.

I now have 3x as much in imported wealth as created. This is the 4th caravan I've had to mop up after getting wiped out. My 10 dwarves are basically only skilled at hauling.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:16 pm »

I should add... my first Orc siege (v 0.2) was in spring. Just got another in summer. Seems like I'm off the expected schedule. Any ideas why? 2nd one was three squads - 48 total. Took out 32 of them and decided to be charitable to the last squad rather than ask my dwarves to haul any more than they were already facing (still cleaning up after the last dead caravan). Dabbling marksdwarf is now elite. Only 9 haulers...

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:58 pm »

Is it somehow possible to upgrade to v .3 without regenning my world? I'm kind of fond of my fortress right now...

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2009, 06:20:26 pm »

Is it somehow possible to upgrade to v .3 without regenning my world? I'm kind of fond of my fortress right now...

The changes to the orc creature (trapavoid etc.) shouldn't require re-genning. You won't be able to add the mount animals, the language, or the entity file changes, though.

If you want to do that, I'd suggest downloading v0.3, finding the orc creature in creature_orc.txt, and copying it in on top of the orc creature that you have from v0.2.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2009, 07:00:18 pm »

okay, thanks. I might as well just restart; I can always regen the same world and do it better.

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:52 pm »

I have a good supply of orcs and goblins (I have 5 goblin races) and strangely one dwarf. I got the dwarf from a caravan, which is normal, but he attacks my dwarfs. I do not know why he is angry... but I will let him take his anger out on some dogs or goblins.
I like my tiger that guards my entrance... some immigrants brought it. I still wish I could turn it into a war tiger.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2009, 08:43:10 am »

Open up your raws, find the tiger entry, and add the [trAINABLE] tag. Voila, war tigers.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2009, 12:49:39 pm »

I think that if orcs should also kill the _men (slug-, ant-, rat-) and other sentient beings like troglodytes and gnomes that wander around your site if they can't get to your dwarves. That seems more orcish; if they can't kill the dwarves, they might as well kill something helpless.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »

I think that if orcs should also kill the _men (slug-, ant-, rat-) and other sentient beings like troglodytes and gnomes that wander around your site if they can't get to your dwarves. That seems more orcish; if they can't kill the dwarves, they might as well kill something helpless.

Not sure if this is possible atm.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »

I'm trying to install this thing and I guess I followed too many contradictory instructions. I ended up at war with giant olms.  Simple mistake, eh?

Do I put entity_orc.txt into raw/objects, or do I put them into entity_default.txt? I saw both instructions so naturally I did both! (expecting something to happen)
Do I put creature_orc.txt into raw/objects? One set of instructions says to put it into creature_default,txt, but that does not exist. Do I make it, or do they mean creature_standard.txt?

Color me confused.

Funny story: So I settled in with a nearby civilization of giant olms at war with me.  Within 10 frames of the game I lost 3 of my starting 7 and a dog to freezing cold.  I spawned on a brook in a freezing climate.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2009, 04:58:56 am »

Follow the directions in the first post. Ignore the rest of the rambling crap.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2009, 12:22:58 pm »

Do I put entity_orc.txt into raw/objects, or do I put them into entity_default.txt? I saw both instructions so naturally I did both! (expecting something to happen)
Do I put creature_orc.txt into raw/objects? One set of instructions says to put it into creature_default,txt, but that does not exist. Do I make it, or do they mean creature_standard.txt?

The files are now self-contained (they used to not be), so you just want to put entity_orc and creature_orc in your raw/objects folder. Ignore the instructions to put them in creature_default and entity_default.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:07 pm »

Thanks guys, that certainly did the trick with the Orcs.  But I still have a problem..

First frame after I embark in a temperate zone, I see this:
..., Miner has frozen to death.
..., Woodcutter has frozen to death.
The Stray Dog (Tame) has frozen to death.
The Stray Hourse (Tame) has frozen to death.
..., Stoneworker has frozen to death.
..., Jeweler has frozen to death.
The Stray Dog (Tame) has frozen to death.

I didn't put in the names because my tileset won't let me see accented characters. I can't think of anything that'd set the starting temperature of tiles to 0.  Everyone not mentioned above was fine and did not die shortly after.  What gives?  Difficulty: Ubuntu
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37