Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150469 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »

Congratulations. Orcs are now officially the first thing to truly destroy a fortress of mine. I have abandoned before when a siege did enough damage to make continuing difficult/impossible/not-interesting, but never before have I had the invaders actually boil through the gates, hunt down every last dwarf, and slaughter them.

Armok bless you and keep you.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »

[UTTERANCES] without [CAN_SPEAK] has no affect, tried that one last week. The only way currently to have a speaking race (which will therefore have names) that will attack you always is using babysnatcher or thief (whatever the kobold tag is). And that kills the early sieges that make Orcs so ridiculously painful.

I was thinking just UTTERANCES, not CAN_SPEAK, as we know CAN_SPEAK to be the issue.
It'd be interesting to try...
Sure, game mechanics may make it seem like it'd error out or something, but experimentation is the basis of DF modding.
I'd do it myself, but I'm in the middle of a long-run ruleset fortress (fifty years of gametime, no other worlds allowed in meantime)
..Fifty years of constant sieges.
Should be fun.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »

Argh, the fortress is gone!  ;D

Someone let in a master sword orc, who killed 17 dwarves by herself. The attack had 80 orcs with 4 or 5 named.

I think I need to up my defences.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2009, 03:16:33 am »

Version 0.3 released, with lots of new iron-flavored goodness!
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2009, 04:01:55 am »

I've been looking forward to this update, having an Orcish language is a nice addition.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 07, 2009, 04:15:22 am »

Quote from: Rysith
To have non-speaking orcs with names in fortress mode, generate the world and then add the [CAN_SPEAK] tag to their entity file

So... obvious. (and you mean their creature file, right?)

And in future releases, you might consider making your unique names more 'other-mod' friendly. IE [CREATURE:DIRE_WOLF_ORCM] instead of [CREATURE:DIRE_WOLF]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:26:05 am by Sinergistic »

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2009, 06:22:27 pm »

They just came to trade ? WTF ?

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »

They just came to trade ? WTF ?

Did you gen the world with can_speak modded out?

Edit: Genned a world with the [CAN_SPEAK] removed, added it back in before embarking, orcs came to trade. Currently genning another world with [CAN_SPEAK] removed, will embark and then add it back in.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:50:05 pm by Sinergistic »

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »

Logically, I would put CAN_SPEAK in before world gen then take it out for Embark. Anyone tried that?

Some comments on the 0.3 version to my favorite orc mod maker:
a) entity should be ENTITY:HORDE iso. ENTITY:HOARD no? Hoard would suit a dragon civ hehe.

b) I get an error on CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:ARTIFICE, so it should be removed methinks

c) why not add [CAN_HAVE_MILITARY_LEADER] ? just me maybe, but I always see orcs having their best fighter as their leader.. with the high priests / drunks are their quickly disposable advisors

d) I tried using [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:250] too, but never saw pop over 205 for any race.. must be some hardcoded limit in there somewhere

e) Noted your changes to ethics - I guess you saw a huge number of internal killings like me hehe. Not sure it is so orcish in my oppion though... but if it helps their pop, it might be cool enough

f) [NAME:giant wolf spider:giant wolf spiders:giant wolf spider] - should be "wood"

g) 4:8 attack, DAMBLOCK: 4 and [WEBIMMUNE] sounds a bit like overkill to me, but interested in hearing how it works out

h) PERSONALITY edits are *thumbs up*

i) holy shit War Elephants are deadly  ;D

Please take these as comments and not critique, well done mate. 

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »

This mod is insane. I tip my penguin hat to all of you who are responsible for it.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

Logically, I would put CAN_SPEAK in before world gen then take it out for Embark. Anyone tried that?

Some comments on the 0.3 version to my favorite orc mod maker:
a) entity should be ENTITY:HORDE iso. ENTITY:HOARD no? Hoard would suit a dragon civ hehe.

Probably. I've never bothered to change it, since the game doesn't care.

c) why not add [CAN_HAVE_MILITARY_LEADER] ? just me maybe, but I always see orcs having their best fighter as their leader.. with the high priests / drunks are their quickly disposable advisors

They have military site leaders, but I didn't want the full civ's leader to ever show up, since that seems to make them stop sending attacks if they die

e) Noted your changes to ethics - I guess you saw a huge number of internal killings like me hehe. Not sure it is so orcish in my oppion though... but if it helps their pop, it might be cool enough

It definitely helps pop, and in my mind it means that they are cooperative with each other, and want to burn the rest of the world. It fits with my image of them as savage barbarians bent on tearing down everyone else.

f) [NAME:giant wolf spider:giant wolf spiders:giant wolf spider] - should be "wood"

That was a last-minute change (from Wood spiders to Wolf spiders), so I must have missed that.

g) 4:8 attack, DAMBLOCK: 4 and [WEBIMMUNE] sounds a bit like overkill to me, but interested in hearing how it works out

The 4-8 attack and DAMBLOCK is to help out the Orcish wrestlers (and make legendary dwarven wrestlers less effective). Weapon-wielding orcs don't use the damage, and 4 isn't that much compared to actual armor (no-quality iron chain, which is what they normally use, is the equivalent of DAMBLOCK:5. So it's kind of like they are wearing exceptional chain rather than normal chain. I've always found that no-quality iron doesn't stand up well to typical dwarven equipment, so I'm trying to artificially give them better stuff.

The [WEBIMMUNE] was to deal with issues where they showed up riding spiders and then were dismounted by the inevitable webbing, which made the idea of orcs on giant spiders much less threatening than it should be. Unless you've got pet spiders, or orcs get ambushed by GCS/GWS, it shouldn't affect anything else.

i) holy shit War Elephants are deadly  ;D
Well, beak dogs are wusses anyway. They needed something that they could really storm the castle walls with. I was considering adding in perytons, but there are some issues with flying mounts.

My sequence with adding/removing [CAN_SPEAK] was

1) Remove CAN_SPEAK
2) Start DF, gen world, embark, quit DF
3) add CAN_SPEAK

The logic being that they would be at war with you from the world gen, but would be speaking by the time that they sieged you (and thus get names). Since they shouldn't be able to make peace during fortress mode, they should never stop. Be aware that if you abandon/reclaim, you will likely have to remove CAN_SPEAK during that time to prevent them from making peace between fortresses.
Try my orc mod!

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »

Excellent answers, you have done your testing! :-)

Wrt. beak dogs I can only agree, although I never encountered them. Are wargs too LOTR?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also if you're interested I was thinking of making some weapons just for orcs.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2009, 07:41:15 pm »

Choppa.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:57 pm »

bah worgs are prissy wolfs with an atitude! now war elephants are where its at!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2009, 09:13:27 pm »

Excellent answers, you have done your testing! :-)

Wrt. beak dogs I can only agree, although I never encountered them. Are wargs too LOTR?

Also if you're interested I was thinking of making some weapons just for orcs.

Wargs are (LOTR-canon-wise) too small for the Orcs to ride, since these orcs are a bit larger than humans (compared to LOTR's orcs, which were human-sized or a bit under). I'm also not sure what the difference game-wise between Wargs and Dire Wolves would be, and like the name better.

Some weapons just for orcs could be interesting, though I hadn't given it much thought. What kinds were you thinking of?
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37