Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150428 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:34 pm »

Just embarked for my first game with this mod, along with some major megabeast buffing. (Second game, technically, but an apocalypse of skeletal giant eagles made the first too short to really count.)
    My location is pretty sweet, I'm planning to build outward from a near-vertical cliff with the bulk of my fort extending above a river valley. This means I probably won't have a very extensively developed underground fort in place by the first winter, so I'm worried about losing to a first-year orc siege (if the fire imps in my exposed magma pipe don't get me first). I ditched my anvil to bring a mechanic, two axedwarves, and a set of leather armor for each axedwarf, so I feel confident about surviving a melee siege if I can get a bottleneck in place. I'm worried about orcish archers, though... do they generally come with the first attack?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2009, 12:38:11 pm »

Also, if nameless Orcs annoy you, you need to create a language file for them. Either make one up (and post it), or do as I did, and copy one of the other language files (goblin's a good choice) and rename it to language_ORC.txt

This will of course require a new world if you already have nameless Orcs.

Giving the Orcs their own language file gives them names? Excellent...

I've got a language for the orcs set up (designed by a semi-professional linguist!), so that's going into Orcs v0.3. Just need a few more tests of the other tweaks before I post that.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2009, 03:20:36 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived! Thirteen orcs...
Wrestlers and Spearbearers. They beat up a human Farmer, but they'll get slaughtered soon.

EDIT: Actually, they killed pretty much everybody but I got bored and drafted all my dwarves. They were killed. I succumbed to the invasion, mostly because there's no stone and an aquifer in this town.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:25:03 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2009, 07:06:38 am »

It will be funny when the Orcs come and slaughter all of them.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »

Ummm. Not getting any orc sieges or ambushes, well into year 2 with 50 dwarves and close to 1mil in wealth. It's only year 7 in worldgen terms, so I know the orcs are still alive. I checked before embark and they can reach me (along with 3 goblin civs, and the elves and humans and dwarves. As a dwarf, it sucks ass when everything in the world can reach you and is at war with you. The only things not attacking me are my own dwarf civs and the humans).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:16 am »

Ummm. Not getting any orc sieges or ambushes, well into year 2 with 50 dwarves and close to 1mil in wealth. It's only year 7 in worldgen terms, so I know the orcs are still alive. I checked before embark and they can reach me (along with 3 goblin civs, and the elves and humans and dwarves. As a dwarf, it sucks ass when everything in the world can reach you and is at war with you. The only things not attacking me are my own dwarf civs and the humans).
Orcs will never ambush.

First: Have you been getting other sieges? Only one siege can happen per season, so that may be interfering.
Second: Remember that orcs are active summer/winter, so if you got your 50 dwarves in summer/autumn, they should come in winter, but wouldn't have come in autumn.
Third: I've seen them dither randomly sometimes. If they can reach you, they will come, though. Your year 7 may actually be interfering with that, since they may not have had a chance to breed and expand, and thus your sieges will be small and late.
Try my orc mod!

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2009, 04:05:24 am »

Okay, how do I actually put this mod in place? I'm assuming the "entity" part all goes in entity_default, but where does the creature part go? Should I make a new creature_orc file or does it belong on one of the others?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:12 am »

Okay, how do I actually put this mod in place? I'm assuming the "entity" part all goes in entity_default, but where does the creature part go? Should I make a new creature_orc file or does it belong on one of the others?

Doesn't really matter. I put it in creature_default with all the other humanoids, but the game reads all the files. Make sure you put the right header. The first line should be the filename, sans extension. The next one should be [OBJECT:CREATURE] so the game knows it's a creature definition file.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Angellus

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:47 am »

Ok, just lost everything to the first wave of Orks, I'm used to being sieged when I hit 80 dwarves and have my defenses up by that time, now they hit me at 18, so everything died XD

Brilliant mod!

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2009, 12:20:00 pm »

That is why you build a draw bridge or at least a door. then you at least have some time to build a few weapons and train some dwarfs. As long as you have a few crossbow dwarfs you should be fine. But by the time they sieged me I had more like 30.

Angellus

« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2009, 02:08:52 pm »

That is why you build a draw bridge or at least a door. then you at least have some time to build a few weapons and train some dwarfs. As long as you have a few crossbow dwarfs you should be fine. But by the time they sieged me I had more like 30.
I had all that, but the mechanic was gone, so I had no possibility to widraw the drawbridge XD

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2009, 10:30:25 pm »

What about a simple door?

And why couldn't you just tell somebody to pull the lever?

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2009, 12:51:32 pm »

My orcs are just loitering around the edge of the map. I have a floor hatch covering my stairway, but it's not locked yet so they should be able to path to me. I don't think I've had this problem before; maybe they don't like the arctic.

Also: I think I have the most bad-ass orcish civilization ever. Almost 4 pages of named orcs in The East Curses, including Ago Tosmstongogur, the High Pries/Orc Drunk.

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »

My orcs are just loitering around the edge of the map. I have a floor hatch covering my stairway, but it's not locked yet so they should be able to path to me. I don't think I've had this problem before; maybe they don't like the arctic.

I am having a similar problem with orcs.  I get the sieges just fine (in fact several forts gone first winter because of orcish aggression) however once a few years (two ish?) have passed the orcs simply form writhing masses and never charge.  I don’t lock doors, I don’t pull up bridges.  Anyone know why this might be?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2009, 02:26:05 pm »

Also: I think I have the most bad-ass orcish civilization ever. Almost 4 pages of named orcs in The East Curses, including Ago Tosmstongogur, the High Pries/Orc Drunk.

I've seen this behavior too, and I suspect that it's an interaction between [LOOSE_CLUSTERS] and large map sizes. Lanternwebs has issues where orcs coming on the far side won't move off the map edge and I have to go chase them down. The ones that enter on the near side work fine, though. How large is your embark area, and how far from your fortress are they coming in? Do they all fail to path, or just some of them? Another possible culprit is pathing across biomes, but that makes less sense to me.

[LOOSE_CLUSTERS] was put in to prevent an issue where if a single orc ended up with a crippled leg due to crossbow fire, the remaining orcs would stay close to the injured orc rather than continuing (or fleeing, because of [NO_FEAR], and turn into pincushions. The next version will probably remove [LOOSE_CLUSTERS] in favor of a different solution.
Try my orc mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37