Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37

Author Topic: Orcs: More things to kill - Now for DF2010!  (Read 150426 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs: More things to kill
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2009, 01:44:23 am »

Well, autumn #4 brought a siege... of humans. Oh well, close enough.

The upgraded gobbos are awesome - not a single caravan made it to my depot the last 2 years - they all got cut down. That's a lot of hauling for only 10 dwarves, but other than a few yellow wounds now healed things are holding up. Maybe the orcs will show up yet...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »

Yeah, if you have a whole lot of hostile civs, or even just one that's active in all four seasons, you'll probably not see orcs.  Or maybe you'll see orcs but not other ones.  This is subject to change as you kill off leaders of the actually-attacking civs as they come.
Only one attacker per season is allowed.  There doesn't appear to be any such limit on traders though.
Good thing Toady actually implemented a menu in case there's multiple caravans in your depot...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2009, 12:28:33 am »

Hmm, I never knew any of that. I've gotten gobbo ambushes every season but two in the last 2 years - one was quiet and one was the human siege. Still no orcs on the civ screen, but they were there on embark, so we'll see. The gobbo civ is pretty damn big, as are the two human civs (not sure which just sieged me) so I think it's gonna be a long time before my group of 10 wipes anyone out.

Assuming that one of the human civs wasn't trying to kill me, would having two human civs allow two trade caravans showing up in summer? I don't recall ever having two friendly civs of the same type before to have that opportunity.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2009, 12:31:02 am »

Yes, I've had humans and elves share the depot as well as humans and humans. When you go to trade, you're prompted for which civ to trade with at the depot.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2009, 06:08:51 pm »

I'm interested in seeing how it goes for you, Martin. When I restart again I'm going to use this mod and have a population cap of 80, but not sure if I'll keep immigration or not.

I've never done a slow-growth fort before, though, so I'm worried about enemies going extinct before the fort finally gets to full strength. Is this a concern for orcs?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:34 am »

...Only one attacker per season is allowed....

I have seen this statement more than once, and maybe it is true normally but I can tell you that it isn't hard coded into .40d of DF.

I say this because I have on multiple occasions since gening a world with the orc mod had 2 sieges(one from gobos and one from orcs).  My gobos are slightly modded by removing the [BABYSNATCHER] and [INTELLIGENT] tags(replaced with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]) and added [NOFEAR].

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:42 am »

What does everyone think of these sprites for the orc military?  Sphr style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2009, 08:37:44 am »

Those look good.  Is there a way I can take them and modify them to be green?  I use Mayday and I'd really like to be able to tell them apart at a glance.  If so, what would I need?  Thanks!

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2009, 12:02:22 am »

Just tried this and...argh!
Orcish machinegunners.
We can't withstand firepower of that magnitude!

Made a new fort in a nice new spot. Winter in the first year rolled around and a small group of orcs appeared and laid siege to my 7. Tough fight, won in the end but took 3 nasty red wounded dwarves and that was after the orcs waltzed through a few stone traps.

Fair enough. 

Summer of the next year arrives. The elves never actually got any trading done as a herd of skeletal elk scared them off before they arrived at my depot, and I 'd not had much to trade witht he dwarves last autumn. Luckily I didn't need much either and in mid summer a huge horde of migrants showed up

2 weeks later, so did a huge horde of orcs. Lots of crushers and seemed to be lead by 2 "elite snipers", aka wandering minigunners. Between them their arrows blotted out the sun, which was bad as my dwarves were not cave adapted and the arrows were coming towards them. They all died.

It was sort of like this, only with a pair of bow wielding orcs instead. :'(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI42TeuwlMw

:P
I never had any real trouble, apart from dwarfs going insane and murdering 2 of my champions...

I have been sieged by Orcs probably around 4-8 times... the last one had about 40 or 50 units. But I have a tower built on a hill and the only way onto the hill is on a drawbridge (hill surrounded by walls) and once you past the draw bridge and 10 cage traps and 8 weapon traps there is a tower with the stairs inside and I put my almost champion crossbowmen up there.
But since I have 4 other goblin races and for some reason they like me even though I steal all ofd their stuff... and I get caravans what seems like every 10 minutes, so they usually take care of all goblin sieges (makes me mad) but the current orc siege took care of the caravan.

Make sure to start training wrestlers right away so you can have legendary guys very fast, and of course make a good defendable entrance right away, then you basiaclly can almost not lose from sieges.
And make a ton of cages so you can have arena battles... I can't wait to see how my captured dwarf (enemy one) does against 1 orc... if he wins he is against 2 orcs... and finally 3. IF he wins I will set him free... although he will probably run back and get killed. And I got a few goblins... and a room with wooden spikes.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2009, 01:45:16 am »

Those look good.  Is there a way I can take them and modify them to be green?  I use Mayday and I'd really like to be able to tell them apart at a glance.  If so, what would I need?  Thanks!

Any paint program will do.  I personally use Photoshop for everything, since I have it.  Everyone tells me it's overkill, but I've been spriting with it for a good 5 years now.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:58 pm »

is there a link i'm missing to install this mod or do you just copy the information in the first post into some of the DF txt files? if so which ones?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:49 pm »

Copy the creature and put it in creature_standard.txt, copy the entity and put it in entity_standard.txt
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Arvidsem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:16 am »

Also, if nameless Orcs annoy you, you need to create a language file for them. Either make one up (and post it), or do as I did, and copy one of the other language files (goblin's a good choice) and rename it to language_ORC.txt

This will of course require a new world if you already have nameless Orcs.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2009, 06:25:28 am »

Started a fort beneath a human/elf city. I'm waiting for the Orcs now.

Also, for some reason this place has like a hundred Elves that dont have a profession. Even worse, they keep killing the humans.
I bet they're working with the Orcs, killing all the military before they arrive... I should've started a normal fort but I'm too lazy for that.

(EDIT: This is a picture of the slaughter, if someone knows what's causing it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:38:02 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:19 am »

They do that.
Wander aroudn the earth in huge groups of +100, splitting up and wandering into towns, all sorts of crazy stuff. if you kill them, the citizens wont mind. Not sure what causes that, but that "just happens". not sure what would happen if you embarked on that, though.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37